U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most deserving of an NFL team?
St. Louis 7 16.28%
San Diego 9 20.93%
Salt Lake City 1 2.33%
Portland 2 4.65%
Omaha 3 6.98%
Oklahoma City 2 4.65%
Austin 3 6.98%
San Antonio 9 20.93%
Toronto 9 20.93%
London 2 4.65%
Mexico City 2 4.65%
Vancouver 1 2.33%
Montreal 3 6.98%
Hampton Roads 0 0%
Louisville 1 2.33%
Memphis 2 4.65%
Birmingham 6 13.95%
Oakland (after Raiders leave) 1 2.33%
Sacramento 1 2.33%
Orlando 1 2.33%
Las Vegas 3 6.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:49 AM

2,797 posts, read 1,647,714 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities do you think could support an NFL team? Which could you see realistically happening if the NFL ever expanded again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 AM

4,325 posts, read 2,262,417 times
I chose San Antonio and Toronto I believe those are the only two cities that could support a team

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 09-08-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 12:02 PM

1,184 posts, read 480,505 times
Canada has its own pro football league. I say no on these cities, as they have their own CFL teams. I can’t imagine that would go over well with that league.

Not sure it’s wise to have non-US cities in the NFL. The road trip for London would be a problem as it is, never mind cities in Asia or Australia. Mexico City is a very high altitude city, higher than Denver, so they’re probably not the best choice either.

Of the various US cities, St. Louis and San Diego have successfully supported NFL teams in the past, and neither lost their team willingly. Oakland has/will have lost their team a couple times now — not sure how realistic an option they are anymore.

San Antonio is a huge city nowadays. They’ve supported basketball successfully, though football may be another issue. It’s fairly close by Austin, so there’s no way teams would go in both cities simultaneously. Several other cities on the list also have basketball teams, but they’re smaller — hard to say if they could manage it.

Omaha, Birmingham, Hampton Roads, and Louisville have no major league pro teams and likely are non-starters.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:38 PM

23,651 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Louisville would be very contested by Cincinnati (90 min away) and Indianapolis (2 hours away) since both have strong fan bases in Louisville they don’t want tampered with.

Hampton Roads lacks corporate presence and a pro teams would require cooperation between the different cities’ governments which is a hell no from someone who grew up there.

San Diego and San Antonio have the strongest arguments IMO.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:55 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,262,417 times
Definitely San Antonio for sure.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:38 PM

637 posts, read 440,656 times
Portland, Maine

Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Canada has its own pro football league. I say no on these cities, as they have their own CFL teams. I canít imagine that would go over well with that league.

Not sure itís wise to have non-US cities in the NFL. The road trip for London would be a problem as it is, never mind cities in Asia or Australia. Mexico City is a very high altitude city, higher than Denver, so theyíre probably not the best choice either.

Omaha, Birmingham, Hampton Roads, and Louisville have no major league pro teams and likely are non-starters.

I disagree with the CFL argument as there's not a whole lot of overlap on the seasons. The problem with Toronto is that Buffalo has been playing a game there. Too close to already Small Market Buffalo.

Montreal is.. Quebec.. It's a different place. Don't know if it would work. So, I'm agreeing with you on no to Canada, but for different reasons.

London, I agree.. The logistics are difficult enough with the couple of games there a year. A franchise there? No. Plus.. I've mentioned this before. There's a fair number of NFL players who would have problems with immigration there.

Mexico City.. Not sure.

As for your other 'non-starters'.. Hey.. Vegas didn't have any other pro teams until last year. Gotta start somewhere. But.. Birmingham and possibly Louisville would be objected to by the Bengals and Falcons.. Washington would probably object to Hampton Roads(Just because it's Dan Snyder).. And Omaha? What's the population of the area?

Of course, I'm saying how someone will object.. Someone would object if they put a team in Anchorage saying it was taking away from their fan base.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:37 AM

1,184 posts, read 480,505 times
Re the NFL in Canada, I’m unsure how well that would go. The reverse (when the CFL tried expanding south of the border) didn’t work out so well: there were teams in Baltimore, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Shreveport, Memphis, and Birmingham, with the Sacramento team relocating to San Antonio. The experiment lasted just three seasons, with only the Baltimore team having any success — and that vanished when Cleveland relocated to that city.

There is also an overlap in league seasons, with the CFL going until November, that could be problematic. And if that weren’t enough, there’s a good reason the CFL season ends then, given how soon it gets cold in Canada. Yeah, domed stadiums, but you’re taking a chance in a big infrastructure build for a franchise that may or may not work out.

All speculation, of course, and I could be screamingly wrong.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:08 AM

5,478 posts, read 2,310,817 times
I think Cleveland definitely deserves a pro franchise. I wonder when they will get one?

Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 AM

10,470 posts, read 5,937,726 times
Where's the "none of the above" option? The league is fine with 32 teams and I just hate it when teams move cities. Leave it alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or