Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:25 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

I hated that they ever left. As a Chiefs fans, I always thought San Diego was a great rivalry and they seemed to have a solid fan base. While it was enjoyable watching the Chiefs beat the Chargers in front of 80-90% Chiefs fans on TV, this is not good for the NFL.

I don't understand how the NFL thought it was a good idea to move two teams in two relatively large markets (San Diego and St Louis) and destroy the NFL fanbases in these two cities.

The Chargers can't draw anybody, even to a 25,000 seat soccer stadium and it remains to be seen if the Rams can draw fans consistently.

The Rams at least have a history in LA. But move the Chargers back to SD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:33 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Rams in LA will work. But yeah, Chargers, that's a tough sell. They should move back.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:58 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I hated that they ever left. As a Chiefs fans, I always thought San Diego was a great rivalry and they seemed to have a solid fan base. While it was enjoyable watching the Chiefs beat the Chargers in front of 80-90% Chiefs fans on TV, this is not good for the NFL.

I don't understand how the NFL thought it was a good idea to move two teams in two relatively large markets (San Diego and St Louis) and destroy the NFL fanbases in these two cities.

The Chargers can't draw anybody, even to a 25,000 seat soccer stadium and it remains to be seen if the Rams can draw fans consistently.

One thing for sure: Dan Fouts agrees with you, and so do many Chargers fans.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:22 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

I don’t think San Diego will dirty their hands with any team that The Spanos family owns. Spanos essentially gave San Diego the finger on the way out and now it’s San Diego’s turn to return that gesture by refusing to do business with Spanos. I’m 100% on San Diego’s side with this one.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
We don’t want them
a bad renter is a blessing when he leaves
If he does not like the accommodations he can go build his own Taj Mahal in Los Angeles
See if the tax payers of Los Angeles are willing to pay for it

Old 09-10-2018, 06:04 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times
I never liked the move and I still don’t

Old 09-10-2018, 11:37 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
We don’t want them
a bad renter is a blessing when he leaves
If he does not like the accommodations he can go build his own Taj Mahal in Los Angeles
See if the tax payers of Los Angeles are willing to pay for it
What are you talking about? The new stadium in Inglewood is under construction and the Chargers will share it with the Rams...no LA taxpayer money needed. It'll get double the use of any other NFL stadium in the country.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
The Chargers played their first season in LA so they have history there too, just not enough for anyone to remember or care.

The league should have let the Raiders move back to LA since that's where most of their fan base is anyway, and let Vegas have the Rams or maybe the Jaguars. But at least the Raiders will be closer to their fan base than they are in the Bay area.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:02 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
The NFL balance has swung too heavily to LA IMO. As in, no team for decades, then all of a sudden two teams. Not that LA can't digest both, (because the metro is so large it can), but from a media perspective, it is another question.

I understand Spanos is not popular in SD, and perhaps the only route back to America's finest city would be for Spanos to sell.

But then there is the stadium issue. JM stadium is probably the equivalent of Oakland Coliseum in meeting today's NFL standards. This is a big hurdle, no doubt.

I would expect the Chargers could only return to San Diego with new ownership and a new stadium. The two of those happening simultaneously is unlikely. In the meantime, the Chargers are most certainly looking forward to moving out of their small soccer stadium and competing in Inglewood.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
I am about to say something I think is going to be wildly unpopular. While the Chargers in L.A. may not be the right fit, the Chargers in San Diego wasn't either. San Diego was an awful NFL city. OP referenced 80% Chiefs fans in stadium of 25,000. Qualcom has a capacity of around 65,000 and when the Chargers played there that place was routinely orange during Broncos game, black during Raiders games. It's not like the team left a city that supported it.

During the NFL's "blackout policy" days the Chargers were blacked out locally multiple times every season. (The Raiders had the same problem, raising a fair question about just how loyal their fans are. I believe the extend of Raider fandom is greatly overstated by NFL talking heads.) The 2007 season's wild card game between the Chargers and Titans was nearly blacked out, but the team pulled some strings and had the game shown. What kind of fan base allows a playoff game to risk getting blacked out?

The Chargers had some great players and moments in San Diego but this era of San Diego residents did not embrace the team on a level that warranted them staying in place. I know Spanos had one foot out the door long before the team actually left. I know there aren't too many people who are willing to consider a billionaire's perspective in the matter, but I will. Has anyone ever given any thought as to why Spanos started itching to relocate? Now I don't think he made the smartest decision to move to L.A. either, but it has been obvious for a long time: San Diego is not an NFL city. An NFL city supports its team and say what you will about public money funding a stadium, but an NFL city ponies up. San Diego not only didn't support its team but the city leadership couldn't get out of their own way.

I wonder how successful the Los Angeles Chargers will be once they shack up with the Rams. If it's not successful it won't surprise me to see them looking around at other potential locations. San Antonio and St. Louis come readily to mind. I don't necessarily like any of those options, and hope Los Angeles does work out for the Chargers. Whatever the case, I don't blame them for looking for a city that would actually support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football