U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2018, 09:19 AM
 
16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
Reputation: 47952

Advertisements

Early this morning I was listening to NBC Sports radio and there is an interesting development going on. A number of NFL Hall of Famers are talking about boycotting the HOF festivities that the NFL does in Canton, Ohio, demanding that Roger Goodell make it right with retired players. They are making two demands with Goodell, one is providing health insurance to the retired players who do not have any.

The other is drawing some sort of salary in the years that they have put into the league for years served in the league.

I have a feeling that we are going to be hearing a lot about this pretty soon.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-18-2018 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2018, 09:50 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
433 posts, read 248,323 times
Reputation: 653
According to Forbes, the average salary for an NFL player is $2.1M per year. I realize that today's players make more money than players from previous decades, but the stars that make it to the HOF are generally the highest-paid athletes in the league.

Sorry, but asking the NFL to provide health insurance and a salary when you are no longer active in the league comes across as complete entitlement to me. To put it bluntly, if you go broke after retiring from the NFL, you suck at handling money, and you don't need more of it. And if you're that desperate, you probably have the connections to be able to find a job in coaching or broadcasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 03:04 PM
 
1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Reputation: 1927
Actually, retired MLB and NBA players get health insurance for life depending on certain circumstances (couldn’t find anything about NHL players online). I see no reason why retired NFL players shouldn’t try to get this as well. Given the physical pounding NFL players take in comparison, they would seemingly need it even more.

They already get the short end of the stick on contract type (theirs is not fully guaranteed money like in the other three sports). And it’s not like the NFL owners are broke or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 04:12 PM
 
Location: 912 feet above sea level
2,270 posts, read 878,579 times
Reputation: 12449
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
According to Forbes, the average salary for an NFL player is $2.1M per year. I realize that today's players make more money than players from previous decades, but the stars that make it to the HOF are generally the highest-paid athletes in the league.

Sorry, but asking the NFL to provide health insurance and a salary when you are no longer active in the league comes across as complete entitlement to me. To put it bluntly, if you go broke after retiring from the NFL, you suck at handling money, and you don't need more of it. And if you're that desperate, you probably have the connections to be able to find a job in coaching or broadcasting.
Uh... you know these Hall of Famers are protesting not for their own lot but for that of all the working stiffs of the NFL from decades past, the ones who played a dozen years and worked offseason jobs because the NFL? Right? In 1969, the average NFL salary was $25,000 - nearly $160,000 now. That's a nice wage. But it's not rich. And it was then, like it is now, a career with a very short expiration date. And that was just the average - by definition, much of the league was making less than that (and working offseason jobs to make ends meet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 04:28 PM
 
1,812 posts, read 1,168,701 times
Reputation: 1887
I heard it would cost 3 pennies out of every $100.00 of league income to provide the health insurance they are asking for. Where would the billionaire owners be without those past players? This is probably something that needs to be hammered out in the next collective bargaining agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2018, 08:24 PM
 
32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Reputation: 19035
if these idiots couldnt set up retirement accounts to handle getting health insurance, a retirement income, etc. and if they cant get make money doing commercials and other events, then they need to get jobs and work for a living.


these guys should have spend their money wisely instead of blowing on cars, mansions, drugs, etc. they want to party like they did during their playing careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,747 posts, read 2,368,848 times
Reputation: 2607
I can understand not letting them draw some sort of salary after retirement. At least for now with my limited knowledge on the subject. I'm pretty shocked though the NFL doesn't provide health insurance to players after they retire. Especially considering how much money the league has & the nature of the sport. That should be criminal.

Jerry Rice & Kurt Warner are already backing away from the letter demanding better benefits.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...ening-boycott/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
21,873 posts, read 23,142,854 times
Reputation: 37276
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I can understand not letting them draw some sort of salary after retirement. At least for now with my limited knowledge on the subject. I'm pretty shocked though the NFL doesn't provide health insurance to players after they retire. Especially considering how much money the league has & the nature of the sport. That should be criminal.

Jerry Rice & Kurt Warner are already backing away from the letter demanding better benefits.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...ening-boycott/
I agree with this. I would think any player after playing a certain number of years in the league should be eligible for health insurance benefits, not just HOF-ers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 08:31 AM
 
1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Reputation: 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if these idiots couldnt set up retirement accounts to handle getting health insurance, a retirement income, etc. and if they cant get make money doing commercials and other events, then they need to get jobs and work for a living.

these guys should have spend their money wisely instead of blowing on cars, mansions, drugs, etc. they want to party like they did during their playing careers.
I'm sure there are a few dummies who got big contracts and threw their money away on partying, bling, and other foolish stuff. But that's not true of all NFL players. Given what I've read, several of the ones who lost money did so via bad investments or sponging relatives, which while not smart at least merits a bit more sympathy. The pressure on big earners like this from relatives and friends for financial assistance reportedly can be off-the-charts oppressive. Plus, investments don't always pan out well, nor are some folks investing-savvy.

And not every player walks away from the game with mega-millions anyway. The average NFL career is 3.3 seasons, so a fair number of NFL players don't hang around long enough to ever see a fat contract payday.

Regardless, I don't think that's the issue. Given the extreme physical sacrifices NFL players endure in order to play, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to have post-retirement health insurance funded by the owners who got rich and then some, thanks to their efforts. If what I've read is true, most former NFL players spend their retirement years in horrible physical pain and/or battling dementia issues. If MLB and the NBA can afford to provide this, the NFL should also be able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2018, 09:49 AM
 
32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Reputation: 19035
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I can understand not letting them draw some sort of salary after retirement. At least for now with my limited knowledge on the subject. I'm pretty shocked though the NFL doesn't provide health insurance to players after they retire. Especially considering how much money the league has & the nature of the sport. That should be criminal.

Jerry Rice & Kurt Warner are already backing away from the letter demanding better benefits.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...ening-boycott/

why should the NFL provide health insurance to former players? they were NOT employed by the NFL, but rather the individual teams. thus if anyone should be providing health insurance, it should be the teams. and if the players didnt negotiate that provision into their contract, then again that is on them, not the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top