U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 07:42 AM

4,891 posts, read 3,983,242 times

Advertisements

Hey Fellow Football Fans

A few Takeaways from week 3 (And I will spare you the jokes about the homeless Chargers and Matt Patricia's weight this time)
- The Steelers have finally adjusted to life without Bell. Me thinks that all through camp, people were awaiting his imminent return to save the offense. But, like the prophet Zarquon, he never returned. So after a few games the Steelers have had to adjust and redesign the Offense without his skill set. And I think that they did that last night.

- I await the phrase "Smoke a Winston" Because I think the BUCCANEERS winning streak is about done. 2-14 may even hap[pen, although seeing the schedule, more likely 5-11 Winston will return to his old ways under the same coach and keep the team in the cellar.

-The SAINTS are finally in the WIN Column in the quirky NFC South, though it took 5 quarters. Which reflects the entire season so far QUIRKY

-The PANTHERS won the Big Catfight and have moved into a 3 way tie for first (or third) and Are showing minutes of brilliance. Only problem is, they need to show 60 minutes of brilliance to make it in this league.

-The RAMS are one of 2 undefeated teams and are showing that on a rare occasion, the best team on paper CAN BE the best team on the field.
-Things are not good for the 49ers JIMMY G is done for the year. And C J BREATHARD Through more INTERCEPTIONS than TD's last season. So the fans need to hope for a miracle and solid play from the defense.
-THE CARDINALS stay in the 2nd to last spot in the power rankings. Perhaps the QB change will help./
-THE SEAHAWKS Still have the coolest coach and finally used the home field to their advantage.They need more cohesion and to keep the field open on offense.

-The VIKINGS may be in the running for this years RYAN LEAF disappointment award.
Whoever told me that Kirk Cousins was the right QB was probably incorrect. I blame last weeks loss to the Buffaloes on the coaches, who clearly DID NOT PREPARE the team for the game, and in the NFL there is no such thing as a week off. There is always work to be done, every day. Even on a bye week. Never the less, what was supposed to be the GAME OF THE WEEK vs Rams has turned into another probable Thursday night Stinker

-Susan's PACKERS have also bought into the inconsistency column this week. I did not expect them to lose, and I did not expect the NFL to punish aggressive play by the Packers' LB. It will be interesting to see what happen to guys like Clay Matthews in a few years when the league adopts a FLAG FOOTBALL style
-Da BEARS have managed to set up a defense around a good play-maker and are getting some mileage out of the QB. One of my favorite players is wide receiver Taylor Gabriel. That kid is faster than a speeding bullet and although he is small, forget catching him in a footrace.
-THE LIONS Have a ways to go.
They beat a struggling team at home in the master vs protege game but they need their $786 Million dollar QB to work for his money each and every game

-The EAGLES are not quite the Powerhouse of last year....YET but I think they will get there eventually. With the return of Wentz and the defense stepping up things are looking better. They have a Good Coach too.
HOWEVER.......

- THE REDSKINS COULD be the year's Mystery team. And in a so far unusual season, they may ride into contention against the Eagles
- THE COWBOYS are just awful. What I saw was a series of mistakes, which can be blamed mostly on poor coaching and some on the extremely low IQ of one of the players who looks like an inbred (I won't name names but he wears number 94) The offensive line is not what it was. FIrst they get beat in the middle, then they get beat on the edge, then they get beat in the middle. And the defense still bites on every playaction, all 1 or 2 of them....if a team came out and ran play action, they would probably score on every drive against the Cowboys.

- The Giants managed to get out of the L column and off the Eli Eli OH Joke list They are still not a good team and have a long long way to go.

-The CHIEFS Have shown that Andy Reid DOES Know what he is doing as coach and that Mahommes is the real deal. Maybe later on, when someone figures out how to shut down a multidimensional offense, he may give up a game, but remember they are winning with offense. They have only 1 interception and 6 sacks on defense in 3 games
-THE RAIDERS Will need some time to rebuild. Gruden did in a Super owl, they say, but he won it with the team TONY Dungy built,and his overall record in the past has not been that good. Still, a move to Vegas will stink, and after 10 or 15 years they will be back in Oakland where they belong.
-THE BRONCOS have some defensive bright spots but still need more points on the board. Things will be hard for them this week.
- The CHARGERS Are showing signs of wear and tear already, and I blame it more on the organization and coaching more than the players.

-The JAGUARS have no depth and shutting down Gabbert and the Running game pretty much shuts down the defense.
-The COLTS Are Lucky to have Luck back, but unlucky in many of the other 21 positions and are a long way from getting back to the playoffs.

-The TITANS got a good game out of Mariotta and should hope that he stays the franchise QB he was meant to be.
-The TEXANS Earned the Number One Spot at the Bottom of the Power Rankings this week by putting up no effort against the hapless Giants. I think someone on the sidelines needs to be shown the exit door soon if this team is going to live up to the talent on the Roster.

The BROWNS Finally won a game, and with the talent on the roster should win a few more. Jackson future with the team remains iffy though
The BENGALS lost the catfight but have so far shown a few flashes of brilliance. But if a decent defense can shut them down, it will be interesting the next few games to see what they do. In the NFL TEAMS tend to make adjustments and changes to playbooks and schemes every few weeks.
THE RAVENS tend to do better at home, and are likely a stronger team than the 2-1 record shows. Look forward to seeing them against the Browns or Steelers

-The JETS are temporarily grounded. Perhaps when the renovations at Laguardia take that miserable airport out of the Third World, then they will have made enough draft picks to protect Darnell and give him a few more top receivers.

- Bill's Buffaloes need to develop the Rookie QB Problem is he is at risk for injury behind that Offensive line. Ouch.

-WHO loves the PATRIOTS having a losing record? Most of us? I thought so.

- MY FINZ are undefeated. I am happy but surprised and enjoying while it lasts, because watching this team, I know it won't.

Gotta Run Power Rankings this afternoon. (The Texans are worse, Rams best) Post your power rankings and comments, JOKES and ramblings for week 4 here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
KingCat! Thank you for your synopsis.

Your Fins remind me of my 2008 Bills team that started 4-0 and ended the season 6-10. That 2008 Bills team played all bad teams in their 4-0 start and then crumbled after that. I think your Dolphins are better than 6-10 and won't have the same collapse my Trent Edwards lead Bills team had but I do think they may be a bit of a mirage and find themselves on the outside of the playoffs at 8-8 come the end of the season.

Allen made me a Billiever after his outing against the Vikings on the road. I was highly skeptical of him going into the draft and all the way up through his first 6 quarters of playing time. But his last game, he nearly played flawlessly against a great team. Most important he was highly accurate which was a huge issue for him in his previous games. He won't always play as well as he did this season against the Vikings but just knowing he can play at that level gives me confidence that with time he will become a franchise QB.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
KingCat! Thank you for your synopsis.

Your Fins remind me of my 2008 Bills team that started 4-0 and ended the season 6-10. That 2008 Bills team played all bad teams in their 4-0 start and then crumbled after that. I think your Dolphins are better than 6-10 and won't have the same collapse my Trent Edwards lead Bills team had but I do think they may be a bit of a mirage and find themselves on the outside of the playoffs at 8-8 come the end of the season.

Allen made me a Billiever after his outing against the Vikings on the road. I was highly skeptical of him going into the draft and all the way up through his first 6 quarters of playing time. But his last game, he nearly played flawlessly against a great team. Most important he was highly accurate which was a huge issue for him in his previous games. He won't always play as well as he did this season against the Vikings but just knowing he can play at that level gives me confidence that with time he will become a franchise QB.
I have been putting much blame on the offensive line, but Allen likely had an average line in Wyoming and adjusted accordingly. My concern is that he may not stay healthy behind that line. The Vikings only had 3 sacks.
Usually, the Vikings play better. They had no running game and Cousins had no ball control, leaving the defense on the field for well over half of the game.

But it also looked to me like the mood at paractice last week was "look, the buffaloes are terrible, so lets look ahead to the Rams next week and focus on that." They looked totally unprepared.
There are no days off in the NFL andvthe Vikings just get reminded of that.

Not to take anything away from Allen. He used his resources to control the game and special teams came through as they put the Vikings deep on each punt, making a frustrating start for Cousins.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,864,691 times
The other amazing thing is that the defense has been lights out now for half the season. First quarters they played like garbage. The last six quarters I would say no defense in the league has played better. I definitely think they have a shot in Green Bay.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Power Rankings

Here is the Cat's Power Rankings for week 4

with apologies to Colt and Maniac

32 Houston Texican'ts How do you lose to the Giants at home? And how does Bill O'Brien keep coaching there ? Things are going to get UGLY for them this week as Luck and the Colts are itching for a win back home again in Indiana

31 Arizona Cardinals Sorry Colt, but the Pesky red Birds flew a little better against the Rams but still have a long way to go for a win. They don't play the Texans this year. But they play the 49ers twice and the Raiders once They have a load of problems getting the offense going. A new QB may help.

speaking of

30 Oakland Raiders Really interesting. They had a chance to win, but when your offense is one-dimensional and your defense is no-dimensional, even Las Vegas won't take your odds. Especially when you are outscored 37-7 in 3 games in the 4th Quarter

29 San Francisco 49ers
With apologies to Maniac, poke a fork in the offense, I think they are done. Garappalo was a true leader and without him, a QB who throws more interceptions than TDs will be playing. I have doubts.

28 NEW YORK JETS
as I mentioned before, La Guardia Airport, which has been described as a "dump" "3rd world country" and other things the censors will not allow here, is undergoing some major renovations. So are the Jets, and like the Airport, they are a long long ways away from being complete.

27 New York Giants so they won a game...they may still go 1-15 so don't go making playoff plans in New Jersey just yet.

26 Indianapolis Colts Luck is not showing the promise that he did his rookie year. Nor are his coaches, or his supporting class. This is a hot mess back home in Indiana.

25 Cleveland Browns If Mayfield comes through, then they may win more, but he is a rookie nad this team is still coached by Hue Jackson, so barring a miracle........

24 Dallas Cowboys Another hot mess. Especially poor coaching leading to bad play calling and mistakes on the field. Blame this more on the coaches than the players

23 Seattle Seahawks They won at home against another team with issues, but Pete Carroll is fielding his weakest effort in Seattle so far. And it is not even a blame game, the team is just very thin and weak all around. They have little with which to work.

22 San Angeles Chargers Another example of talent just not playing on the same page.

21 New England Patriots I am going to go ahead and call out the Elephant in the room here. Belicheck has fielded his worst team in a decade. Some are saying it is because of one guy's suspension, but Belicheck was never ever about "one guy" Well Maybe except old Tom Brady, who is still good, but rumor has it that 52 other guys on this team hate that coach. And it is not a fun place, even when winning, so imagine it now with losses piling up.

20 Detroit Lions The thing about rankings is that they change week to week While the Offense finally played like an $890 Million dollar offense, the defense still looks like the Walmart discount rack on most plays.

19 Atlanta Falcons Offense will be stepping up to win games because the defense is Hurt.

18 Meena-SOHda Vikings
Kirk Cousins is NOT the best fit for this team.

17 Bill's Buffaloes The defense, as Bill pointed out, has come around. Now the job of the weak Offensive line will be to protect the young rookie QB from injury, because he is the future.

16 Denver Broncos They looked better early on, but the pressure and sack rating has dropped.

15 Tampa Bay Buccaneers They are back to true form. Over-Rated.

14 Tennessee Titans I think they need to keep Mariotta on the field more. If that could be done.

13 Cincinnati Bengals They did win two, but looked outplayed by the other cats last week.

12 Washington Redskins I wish that they would be consistent. Never sure which team is going to show up, the one that beat the Packers, or the one that got wiped by the Colts?

11 Chicago Bears Who would have thunk it, but defense wins games and the QB is finding an offense with Fast receivers.

10 12 Baltimore Ravens Big Joe Flacco looks like he has found his groove and the Ravens are improving.

9 Susan's Green Bay Packers I am concerned about Rogers...I don't think he is fully healthy, nor do I like the referee's punishing aggressive play. But like I said, when they eventually decide that tackling is too rough and switch to flags in a few years, then Matthews may not have a chance.

8 Carolina Panthers They are coming around, but they need to stop opponents in the red zone.

7 PIttsburgh Steelers Have finally restructured the offense to life without Laveon Bell (And GOOD RIDDENCE !) Let Big Ben throw to 5 different guys...this is not flag football yet.

6 New Orleans Saints They take it to the wire but at least they are starting to show suceses where there had been failure.

5 MY FINZ may not hold this spot too long, but once they beat the Evil Patriots they will still impress.

4 Jacksonville Jaguars. The best thing that happened was that wake up loss to the Titans. This is still a solid team, and they can wake up and start playing now

3 Philadelphia Eagles This is still a well coached team and has depth.

2 Kansas City Chiefs Anyone who wants to challenge better find a way to stop Mahomme's receivers, because he has several of them and they are good. Oh and they have a run threat too, 3.9 ypg average.

1 Los Angeles Rams If they have a weak point it is SUH. I watched him here with MY FINZ for several years and now some wonder why the Rams have trouble stopping the run up front. Well, there it is. On the other hand, they have the best roster and are well coached, so watching them win will be a very common occurrence in Los Angeles

Old 09-26-2018, 09:16 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,060,574 times
Great analysis as usual, Catman! No apology needed. I think you ranked my Niners too high. We'll soon be the 1-9ers again without Jimmy G.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:35 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,565,311 times
Always enjoy reading your takes! I'm not sure about those Packers, Rodgers injury aside, their young secondary, injury bug, not stopping the run, pass rush, too many issues it seems. We'll see if they settle in, win some games!

Old 09-26-2018, 12:29 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,136,930 times
You're a cool cat analyst, Cat Man. I've always appreciated your honest-to-goodness take on the less-than-wonderful NFL... and its good, bad & ugly teams from all across America!

Keep up the good work, sir!
~ the Colt

Old 09-29-2018, 10:10 AM
YAZ

7,078 posts, read 11,862,250 times
I'm counting on LKC's opinion for another Lions' victory this week. Hoping that Dallas remains a hot mess.

I had an opportunity to attend the Glendale Cardinals game but declined. I'd be surrounded by Hawks fans.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:25 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,565,311 times
Cowboys are hard to figure and then there's Jerry Jones always good for a laugh or two! How can he say after the game on Thursday, the Cowboys are like the Rams??? Excuse me???

I picked the Cowboys to win because well, you know, but will not be surprised by a Lion's win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or