U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:25 PM

5,301 posts, read 3,338,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Atlanta and Arizona.. If there is a second season.. They won't have teams, I don't believe. Certainly the cellar dwellers in attendance. Which does make some sense.. Those are the two cities with direct NFL competition.
If your hunch is correct, that doesn't bode well for the new XFL where 7 out of the 8 teams are in current NFL markets!

Although I would see the AAF/XFL as more of a compliment to the NFL in those markets and not really competition, if you know what I mean. Everyone knows it's just a glorified minor league, which the college game has been for 70+ years. I think they (AAF/XFL) felt there was enough football fanatics out there that having spring football would be a money maker or at least a break even venture, I guess they might have been wrong.

Having lived in Tucson for 7 years in the past, I was thinking maybe the Hotshots would do better in the Old Pueblo, since there's no more spring training down there, but Tucsonans are not that great at supporting minor league teams, even with 1,000,000 people in the metroplex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 AM

9,444 posts, read 7,123,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If your hunch is correct, that doesn't bode well for the new XFL where 7 out of the 8 teams are in current NFL markets!

Although I would see the AAF/XFL as more of a compliment to the NFL in those markets and not really competition, if you know what I mean. Everyone knows it's just a glorified minor league, which the college game has been for 70+ years. I think they (AAF/XFL) felt there was enough football fanatics out there that having spring football would be a money maker or at least a break even venture, I guess they might have been wrong.

Having lived in Tucson for 7 years in the past, I was thinking maybe the Hotshots would do better in the Old Pueblo, since there's no more spring training down there, but Tucsonans are not that great at supporting minor league teams, even with 1,000,000 people in the metroplex.

I don't disagree with you on any point. The XFL at this moment, I see heading.. Basically they're Wile E Coyote heading for the train tunnel that's been painted on a rock. I see it's a rock, you see it's a rock, he's the only one who doesn't recognize that it is a rock. As I've mentioned, so far as I know, they have no talent signed and with the AAF launching first.. AA level talent is the best you can hope for. While I love me some AA baseball... Football doesn't hold the same level when it comes to a minor league. Oh, and they hired Jim "Horny for Zorny" Zorn as a HC.

AAF is certainly a compliment to the NFL, and thankfully, the NFL is even embracing them a bit.. Though I don't believe it's overly helping at the moment. and I honestly don't quite understand why.

Look, College FB, many places sell out.. Pro Football, many places sell out. This league is a middle ground between College and Pro.. Why can they barely pull 20k fans? Exposure may be a point.. I'm not in an AAF city, and am about 200 miles from the nearest (Atlanta).. How is advertising for the teams, if you're close?

Old 03-13-2019, 12:37 PM

32,523 posts, read 26,415,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post

the tucson toros played here for many years before moving to another city. and they had a good fan base even for a AAA baseball team. recently however the fan base for most sports except wildcat basketball and wildcat football has dwindled. i think the roadrunners are doing ok though, but i dont follow hockey. so i doubt the hotshots would be doing any better than they are in phoenix.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:24 AM

1,587 posts, read 989,423 times
Quote:
Look, College FB, many places sell out.. Pro Football, many places sell out. This league is a middle ground between College and Pro.. Why can they barely pull 20k fans? ..
Labonte,
Yeah.. some college stadiums get 100K fans a game. But I think it has a lot to do with scarcity. A big time college stadium is only hosting 5-6 home games a year. NFL team is gonna host 8 home games & maybe a playoff game (or two). The short season helps football's value.
Im rooting for the AAF. I believe the NFL needs a legit farm league (instead of, or in addition to, an exploitative college system).. but football oversaturation may be hurting AAF. We'll see..
Ps- I'm appreciating your comments in the D.B. Cooper true crime thread.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:34 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/AAF_Footbal...rall_total_is/

There's the week 6 numbers. I kinda like that one, nice layout.

Anyway.. Little bumps each week it seems. I talked with someone in Atlanta to ask if the team was advertising at all there.. And they didn't even know the team existed.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:23 PM

32,523 posts, read 26,415,828 times
the word is starting to get out, and the fans are starting to recognize that there is something to the league. but again lets wait and see after next season.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:37 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,003,542 times
Watching a good game tonight. San Antonio over Salt Lake 19-15 w/ !:43 left. The crowd attendance was announced a bit ago-30,343.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:34 AM

Week 7 numbers.. Double H's announcement was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG..

Week 7 of AAF : 65,279 in paid attendance (16,320/game)
• ORL @ ATL 11,416
• SLC @ SA 30,345
• SD @ AZ 9,760
• BHAM @ MEM 13,758

You missed two people. lol

Poor, poor attendance at ATL and AZ again. Memphis still struggling a big, but SA is still the rock star of the league.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:47 AM

16,532 posts, read 21,003,542 times
Quote:
Week 7 numbers.. Double H's announcement was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG..

Week 7 of AAF : 65,279 in paid attendance (16,320/game)
• ORL @ ATL 11,416
• SLC @ SA 30,345
• SD @ AZ 9,760
• BHAM @ MEM 13,758

You missed two people. lol

Poor, poor attendance at ATL and AZ again. Memphis still struggling a big, but SA is still the rock star of the league.

Damn! Oh well!

Old 03-26-2019, 12:11 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,293,825 times
Birmingham at Memphis looks like an old WFL matchup (I was a STH of the original Jacksonville Sharks).

Fans in San Diego are still bitter about the Chargers leaving. Atlanta and Phoenix have had multiple professional sports for years (although both have struggled to make the NHL work). I can understand why there would not be much of an appetite for what can reasonably be called a minor league playing at a non-traditional time of year in those markets. San Antonio and Memphis have NFL aspirations. Orlando and Salt Lake both have NBA teams but no other top level pro sports, but I don't see either city making the top level in pro football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or