Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Birmingham at Memphis looks like an old WFL matchup (I was a STH of the original Jacksonville Sharks).

Fans in San Diego are still bitter about the Chargers leaving. Atlanta and Phoenix have had multiple professional sports for years (although both have struggled to make the NHL work). I can understand why there would not be much of an appetite for what can reasonably be called a minor league playing at a non-traditional time of year in those markets. San Antonio and Memphis have NFL aspirations. Orlando and Salt Lake both have NBA teams but no other top level pro sports, but I don't see either city making the top level in pro football.

Orlando is, in general, the second or third best team in the league, so far as attendance. Neck and neck with San Diego

They're basically shaking out like this..

Excellent - San Antonio
Very Good - Orlando and San Diego
Mediocre - Birmingham and Memphis
Poor - Atlanta, Arizona and Salt Lake City

I'm a touch surprised at Birmingham, because they generally have a record of supporting teams. Perhaps it's just because they're so close to Atlanta, which also has a team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 05:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,046,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Orlando is, in general, the second or third best team in the league, so far as attendance. Neck and neck with San Diego

They're basically shaking out like this..

Excellent - San Antonio
Very Good - Orlando and San Diego
Mediocre - Birmingham and Memphis
Poor - Atlanta, Arizona and Salt Lake City

I'm a touch surprised at Birmingham, because they generally have a record of supporting teams. Perhaps it's just because they're so close to Atlanta, which also has a team.
Birmingham like other smaller southern cities, I imagine prefer college sports. I’m sure the’re much more interested in the likelihood of ‘Bama playing Clemson next year (again), than having an professional football team they have no incentive to support.

San Antonio wants to separate itself from a Dallas and Houston. It has surpassed Dallas in population but doesn’t have the respect of a large team that would come in time.

San Diego proves Spanos is an idiot.

Memphis is too close to Nashville relatively speaking. I don’t think Tennessee is a large enough state to support two football leagues.

Orlando surprises me because I always see it as transient. I wonder if FL can support four teams and two leagues.

Salt Lake City is not a football town.

AZ and Atlanta already have NFL teams that they barely support. I can’t see them supporting a second league.

Having said that, I would like the league to succeed. We’ll see how this continues to shake out.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Birmingham like other smaller southern cities, I imagine prefer college sports. I’m sure the’re much more interested in the likelihood of ‘Bama playing Clemson next year (again), than having an professional football team they have no incentive to support.

Birmingham has a good history tho. They did well with the XFL, and they were one of 6 USFL teams to remain in the same city throughout the league run

Old 03-27-2019, 08:06 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:

San Antonio wants to separate itself from a Dallas and Houston. It has surpassed Dallas in population but doesn’t have the respect of a large team that would come in time.
City to city, yes. But METRO, no... leagues look at metro areas/markets, not individual cities, so that's why San Antonio doesn't get as much attention for more major pro sports teams. Greater San Antonio doesn't even come close to The Metroplex.

But, because both San Antonio and Austin are (slowly but surely) growing into each other, and with the attendance numbers they're pulling out, it should turn more heads.

Quote:
San Diego proves Spanos is an idiot.
Agreed. And the Chargers shouldn't have left. Ironically, they were the only team that actually started in L.A., yet they're the least wanted team in that city.

Quote:
Orlando surprises me because I always see it as transient. I wonder if FL can support four teams and two leagues.
I doubt that. Orlando is still more of a two-sport city. They're really good with the Magic and Orlando City, but I doubt they could support more than that. And Florida in general is notorious for not supporting its major pro sports teams (Miami, especially) so idk.

Quote:
Salt Lake City is not a football town.
I'm not surprised, but didn't think much of that.

Quote:
AZ and Atlanta already have NFL teams that they barely support. I can’t see them supporting a second league.
These are two other cities that aren't really big on their pro sports teams in terms of support... except with Atlanta and their soccer team. Go figure that one out.

Quote:
Having said that, I would like the league to succeed. We’ll see how this continues to shake out.
It'll be the NFL's G-League. The signs are there...

Old 03-27-2019, 10:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
phoenix suffers from sports overload. they have the diamondbacks, the suns, the cardinals, the NHRA, nascar, the hotshots, among others. the city isnt big enough to handle all those sports. but they do draw from tucson and flagstaff, so that helps, but still not enough.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:49 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
phoenix suffers from sports overload. they have the diamondbacks, the suns, the cardinals, the NHRA, nascar, the hotshots, among others. the city isnt big enough to handle all those sports. but they do draw from tucson and flagstaff, so that helps, but still not enough.
Then they won't mind this happening...

Old 03-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Uh-Oh

AAF in jeopardy of folding, says majority owner

Old 03-27-2019, 03:40 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,481,900 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
City to city, yes. But METRO, no... leagues look at metro areas/markets, not individual cities, so that's why San Antonio doesn't get as much attention for more major pro sports teams. Greater San Antonio doesn't even come close to The Metroplex.
Yes, I have no idea why people can't figure this out. The size of the core city is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
But, because both San Antonio and Austin are (slowly but surely) growing into each other, and with the attendance numbers they're pulling out, it should turn more heads.
For pro football, Austin is already in the San Antonio market.

There are only 8 NFL home games each season. For that reason, the NFL base extends much further out than for other leagues that play ~40 homes games (NBA, NHL) or 80+ homes games (MLB). It's why the Packers can play 100 miles from the bulk of the population that supports them. People will drive one, two, three hours 8 times a year to see their team. They won't do it 40 or 80 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Is anyone really surprised?

Old 03-27-2019, 04:09 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Yes, I have no idea why people can't figure this out. The size of the core city is irrelevant.
In terms of market size, yes.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Is anyone really surprised?
It provides some validation to the discussion we were having a while back.. When the new investor came onboard, whether the payroll problems at the time were spin or legitimate just a mistake.

The fact that without the new investor, it now seems they wouldn't have made it three weeks is quite surprising.

The fact that they say they need practice squad players to make the league successful is also quite surprising. I don't see that making a lick of difference. The product they're putting out now, I think by all accounts, is pretty good. I don't see practice squad or futures players making the difference between success and failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football