U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:24 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,578,082 times

Advertisements

Charlie Ebersol, son of Dick Ebersol who co-founded the first XFL with McMahon, was the one behind AAF. He came up with the idea while producing ESPN's documentary on the failure of the XFL.

Looks like Charlie will have another documentary to produce now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,063 times
Been to three of their games. Rowdy crowd for half capacity seating filled. It's a shame that it's no longer around...for now.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:57 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,457,518 times
No matter how many people say there isn't enough football to drive people to startup these leagues, just not true. And these products are nowhere near the quality of the NFL. Two separate professional leagues in the same major sport just don't work, as for a majority one is enough, and the ones currently standing have a long history.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:51 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,096,726 times
The WFL, USFL, and XFL all failed against the NFL's popularity and tradition. Not sure I'd give any other start-up a decent chance either.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:36 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,086,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
The WFL, USFL, and XFL all failed against the NFL's popularity and tradition. Not sure I'd give any other start-up a decent chance either.

The USFL was pretty good.. Not bringing politics into this, but Trump really cocked that league up. Not by himself or anything, but his thought process was he'd get an NFL team out of it.

Had the USFL remained a Spring/summer league.. I think it turns out differently. Because they were beating the NFL in the talent department. they were running up alot of debt, too, so, I can't say it would have had long term legs.. But it would have gone further than it did.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:45 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,512,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If they do actually have plans to come back, which I don't think they do.. They've just shot themselves in the ass.. Who's going to follow them now? They already bombed once and shut down unexpectedly.

Does free up the talent for the XFL.. But, man.. I would SO much rather have had this league make it. I don't trust Vince
Yeah, this is ridiculous. I cant believe they didn't make one season. As I had stated before, that is just **** poor planning to not have a plan to make it one year. One. Just one.

If they did miraculously return, who would even play for them? After hearing the stories of players basically being kicked in the street, I wouldn't trust it.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yeah, this is ridiculous. I cant believe they didn't make one season. As I had stated before, that is just **** poor planning to not have a plan to make it one year. One. Just one.

If they did miraculously return, who would even play for them? After hearing the stories of players basically being kicked in the street, I wouldn't trust it.

There's lots of rumors that there was a gambling app involved.

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/04/did-t...-gambling-app/

But the fact that Polian and Ebersol had to basically sell to him speaks to how poorly they planned things out.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:29 AM

11,985 posts, read 17,497,890 times
Quote:
The USFL was pretty good.. Not bringing politics into this, but Trump really cocked that league up. Not by himself or anything, but his thought process was he'd get an NFL team out of it.

Had the USFL remained a Spring/summer league.. I think it turns out differently. Because they were beating the NFL in the talent department. they were running up alot of debt, too, so, I can't say it would have had long term legs.. But it would have gone further than it did.
Besides the old AFL (nka AFC), the USFL was the one that had a shot.

I recall thinking that if it folded, the NFL would absorb maybe 3 of their teams. Oh well ...

I went to the last Washington Federals game at RFK Stadium. Had a blast.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:11 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,512,283 times
Quote:
There's lots of rumors that there was a gambling app involved.

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/04/did-t...-gambling-app/

But the fact that Polian and Ebersol had to basically sell to him speaks to how poorly they planned things out.
Very true. The games weren't that bad, so they took care of the quality play part of the equation and threw everything else to the wind!

Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Very true. The games weren't that bad, so they took care of the quality play part of the equation and threw everything else to the wind!

Kinda the exact opposite of the original XFL. Eberson didn't make the mistakes his father did.. He made all new ones.

Thing is.. mcMahon may be making all new mistakes as well. He's going to get, at least in theory, some quality players.. but he's put all of his teams in major markets that already have an NFL team

One thing I have to hand to him is this quote..

Quote:
"people don't want social and political issues coming into play when they are trying to be entertained"

He nailed that. He's dead on right with that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or