U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 04:35 PM

32,479 posts, read 26,356,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You can't succeed when you have fan burnout in your first year.

not necessarily true. the fans were likely burnt out because of the controversies of the playoffs, and the patriots winning again. that is why i wont jump on the "the AAF is dying" bandwagon, t least not yet. give it time. now if in two years nothing has changed for the AAF, then we can talk about them going away, or possibly merging with the XFL version two, or what ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 07:15 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,098,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
not necessarily true. the fans were likely burnt out because of the controversies of the playoffs, and the patriots winning again. that is why i wont jump on the "the AAF is dying" bandwagon, t least not yet. give it time. now if in two years nothing has changed for the AAF, then we can talk about them going away, or possibly merging with the XFL version two, or what ever.

It all depends on many factors.. But, what is happening now is a bad sign. I won't sound the death knell.. BUT..

What it has going for it is a pretty good on-field product.

What's against.. Low attendance. Seemingly losing money pretty badly, though, we don't know this for sure. There's still some questions about the payroll and investment thing.

But, they'll likely need additional investors to keep them going that 2 to 3 years.. And that's going to be tough to pull those investors in when you're losing money, and especially if you can't show them how things are going to turn around.

Right now.. They need a serious turnaround on attendance. That's the first and most important thing.

I don't know how the games are doing so far as televised ratings.. That is a source of income for them, so, I hope those ratings are pretty good.. But.. The networks they're on, many people don't get.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:06 PM

6,778 posts, read 10,180,182 times
I'm surprised that there are so many NFL fans that still have not heard about the AAF. My husband and I usually go watch the games at our social club in town. Every week people will come in, look at the TV and ask, "What football is this"? When I tell them it's a new league they are completely confused.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:16 PM

5,290 posts, read 3,324,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Attendance-wise, what does this say for the imminent debut of the XFL? There doesnt appear to be enough fans to support one spring league, much less two...

And baseball hasnt even begun in earnest yet...
It will be interesting to see, is it that fans just don't care or like the "product" or is it the markets?

I guess once the new XFL starts we'll get a clearer picture since 7 out of the 8 XFL teams will be in NFL markets, compared to just 2 for the AAL.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
It all depends on many factors.. But, what is happening now is a bad sign. I won't sound the death knell.. BUT..

What it has going for it is a pretty good on-field product.

What's against.. Low attendance. Seemingly losing money pretty badly, though, we don't know this for sure. There's still some questions about the payroll and investment thing.

But, they'll likely need additional investors to keep them going that 2 to 3 years.. And that's going to be tough to pull those investors in when you're losing money, and especially if you can't show them how things are going to turn around.

Right now.. They need a serious turnaround on attendance. That's the first and most important thing.

I don't know how the games are doing so far as televised ratings.. That is a source of income for them, so, I hope those ratings are pretty good.. But.. The networks they're on, many people don't get.

once again i think you are jumping to conclusions at this point. you hear of one financial issue that was blown out of proportion, and suddenly the league is going bankrupt. that is the result of not enough information that the talking heads are assuming means something, but they are too lazy to investigate further into the issue, so they make things up based on their own prejudices.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
once again i think you are jumping to conclusions at this point. you hear of one financial issue that was blown out of proportion, and suddenly the league is going bankrupt. that is the result of not enough information that the talking heads are assuming means something, but they are too lazy to investigate further into the issue, so they make things up based on their own prejudices.

Or are you jumping to the conclusion that the ownership is being honest about money issues? I don't recall them showing financials, just assuring everyone that everything was fine.

About 10 years ago, I was involved with the building of a place.. Which had plenty of money, big plans, lots of investors.. The next big thing.

It was called Hard Rock Park. Ever heard of it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_Music_Park

So... It's not that I distrust people.. I just don't trust them.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:20 AM

then what you do is buy a share of stock, if they are available, in one of these teams, and then yu get their quarterly reports so you can determine if they are telling the truth or not.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
then what you do is buy a share of stock, if they are available, in one of these teams, and then yu get their quarterly reports so you can determine if they are telling the truth or not.

It's not a publically held company. So, they're not required to make financials available. There is no stock to buy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rs/3085167002/

That.. Actually is a good sign. Though, "The Waffle" or NFL Europe as it came to be known, didn't make it either. The attendance of those games was.. At least on-par with reachable numbers for AAF. They pulled about 17k per game.

At least the AAF has a chance of the average US fan giving a crap about it. NFL Europe, having no US based teams.. Many people forgot that it even existed.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:13 PM

1,579 posts, read 984,894 times
Quote:
AAF has a chance of the average US fan giving a crap about it. NFL Europe, having no US based teams.. Many people forgot that it even existed.
yeah.. There was a lot about NFL Europe that was forgettable. But for whatever reason, I always remember the Rhein Fire & Barcelona Dragons..

Old 03-11-2019, 01:23 PM

Week 5 attendance numbers

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/201...attendance-18/

Better.. but not good.

Nice bounceback from San Diego. Birmingham just needs a push over the hump to be good attendance.. Atlanta and Arizona.. If there is a second season.. They won't have teams, I don't believe. Certainly the cellar dwellers in attendance. Which does make some sense.. Those are the two cities with direct NFL competition.

Atlanta seems like it might have been a bad idea all around, especially considering there's a team in Birmingham. You wonder how somewhere like OKC or Richmond, VA might do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or