Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 09:27 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
And.. Very little direct competition with the NFL there? Where is the Arizona team? Tempe, so.. That's overlap as is Atlanta.. as I recall, teams in Birmingham have historically done well attendance-wise with the various leagues.

This league seems sane.. Whether it succeeds or not I can't say, but.. They're doing things right, it appears.

Season starts after the Super Bowl. No direct competition with the NFL. Phoenix and Atlanta will also place them in larger market areas which is probably a smart move.

Looking over the current team rosters I was only able to find one name that I knew. That being Matt Asiata. An emphasis has been placed on players who played college ball in the local market or state. Could boost player recognition for some locals.

Last edited by Bondurant; 10-28-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 11:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good input by everyone here. This league is getting off to a good start IMO and the one thing I notice most is something that the American Football League did back in 1959 when they drew up the plans. That is start off with 8 teams. That's where the USFL made their first mistake, starting off with 18 teams was a problem right off the bat. And they saw five teams fold by the 1985 season.

Here's how the league stacks up with head coaches that have been named--

Atlanta Legends-Brad Childress
Birmingham Iron-Tim Lewis
Memphis Express-Mike Singletary
Orlando Apollos-Steve Spurrier

Arizona Hotshots-Rick Neuheisel
Salt Lake Stallions-Dennis Erickson
San Antonio Commanders-Mike Riley
San Diego Fleet-Mike Martz

The one thing I noticed right away when I pulled up their site-at the top of the page it states "Season tickets start at $75." I hope it DOES succeed.
Quote:
And.. Very little direct competition with the NFL there? Where is the Arizona team? Tempe, so.. That's overlap as is Atlanta.. as I recall, teams in Birmingham have historically done well attendance-wise with the various leagues.

This league seems sane.. Whether it succeeds or not I can't say, but.. They're doing things right, it appears.

i too hope the league succeeds. and if they do it right, they can make it. if they get large enough, and sustainable enough, then perhaps they can ultimately compete with the NFL, but that will be many years down the road before that can possibly happen.

the hotshots give arizona three football teams now, one NFL, one arena, and AAF team. and with rick neuheisel running the AAF team, it should do well out of the box.

i think one of the reasons that arena football hasnt been sustainable in popularity is that the rules are enough different from the NFL that people dont fully understand them.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:56 AM

17,576 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think one of the reasons that arena football hasnt been sustainable in popularity is that the rules are enough different from the NFL that people dont fully understand them.

Arena is a totally different game, IMO.. I love it, don't get me wrong.. But it's a completely different style game and completely different strategy. So, I totally understand people who like the NFL but don't like Arena.. Honestly, I don't care for Arena (or indoor football.. They are technically two different things) on TV.. But I love going to games.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:33 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
I like it! I wonder what networks the games will be aired on....

I guess it's time to pick a team.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I like it! I wonder what networks the games will be aired on....

I guess it's time to pick a team.

CBS and CBSSN with all games streamed on the AAF app.

Some of the rules seem.. Interesting..

No TV Timeouts.. No PATs (2 point conversion only), no kickoffs.. After scores and start of the game/half ball is on the 25. 30 second play clock. 2 coach challenges.. No games can end in a tie, which I presume will be something similar to college overtime.

That 30 second play clock.. That's the one I don't see lasting long.

They also have contracts setup to prevent people from signing with the XFL. They sign a 3 year non-guaranteed contract with an NFL escape clause. So, they do seem to be setup to operate as a 'feeder' league. They'll allow folks to go to the NFL, but not Arena or XFL.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
CBS and CBSSN with all games streamed on the AAF app.

Some of the rules seem.. Interesting..

No TV Timeouts.. No PATs (2 point conversion only), no kickoffs.. After scores and start of the game/half ball is on the 25. 30 second play clock. 2 coach challenges.. No games can end in a tie, which I presume will be something similar to college overtime.

That 30 second play clock.. That's the one I don't see lasting long.

They also have contracts setup to prevent people from signing with the XFL. They sign a 3 year non-guaranteed contract with an NFL escape clause. So, they do seem to be setup to operate as a 'feeder' league. They'll allow folks to go to the NFL, but not Arena or XFL.

the rules are interesting for sure. i like the 30 play clock the teams are going to have to hustle between plays.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the rules are interesting for sure. i like the 30 play clock the teams are going to have to hustle between plays.

Well, that's why I think it won't last. These guys will be greener than NFL players.. So, they're going to need MORE time most likely.. I fully expect there to be so many delay of game penalties that they change this.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Well, that's why I think it won't last. These guys will be greener than NFL players.. So, they're going to need MORE time most likely.. I fully expect there to be so many delay of game penalties that they change this.

why? remember the NFL has a 25 second clock to deal with. these guys waste a ton of time between plays, especially the NFL, to the point they could run two plays with the amount of time they waste.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:05 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Who is planning on checking out the action this weekend? Arizona Hotshots debut on Sunday and I plan on attending. Checking to see if I can buy a traditional ticket at Sun Devil Stadium box office. Ticketmaster only offers digital. The days of stub collecting appear to be near the end.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
I wish it the best but I'm skeptical. Football just doesn't jive with the Springtime IMO. That said I'll watch here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football