U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 01:25 PM

979 posts, read 620,654 times

Advertisements

Parents are already saying, "I don't want my sons playing football". "It's too dangerous".

How long does the NFL have left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 01:48 PM

1,120 posts, read 657,770 times
I don't think it's in danger for at least the next generation or two. I think there are still plenty of parents who are either ignorant of the issue or ignore it and let their kids play. I have a 5 year old son and I will not allow him to play football when he is older.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:03 PM

8,603 posts, read 3,032,047 times
Yeah, it'd be a sad thing if players pounding each other into premature senility screwed up all the tailgating fun.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:15 PM

578 posts, read 374,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yeah, it'd be a sad thing if players pounding each other into premature senility screwed up all the tailgating fun.

Yeah, tailgating at a flag football game just doesn't seem the same.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:36 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,776,314 times
It’s a revenue machine.
It ain’t going away.

They have modified the rules. Just as youth leagues are changing approaches and have moved toward flag rules. Parents will resist the sport- enrollment is already down at lower levels...but you will always have interest you will always capture the elite athletes. Soccer may benefit now as historically our best athletes have turned toward football but more and more may turn to soccer. But Football as entertaining as it is - will always be a force

Old 10-17-2018, 04:00 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
The topic has come up before and my thoughts remain the same. It's not going anywhere as long as there are millions to be made. The only thing that will change is how players are developed and where those players come from. You will have colleges recruiting players that never played tackle football in their youth. But they couldn't get the full ride scholarship to play soccer, baseball or basketball so they will turn to football at the collegiate level. The quality of player may go down but will it be noticeable? If the skill level is decreased across the board at all positions you shouldn't see any significant change in game play that would lead to people viewing less.

I guess you could ask, if kids aren't playing football will they grow up to watch football? That may be a serious question. But I think there are many millions of people who watch today who never played at all or any significant amount as a youth.

I do think the decline in youth participation over the coming years will help soccer the most.

But my guess and hope is football will never go away.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:30 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,776,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The topic has come up before and my thoughts remain the same. It's not going anywhere as long as there are millions to be made. The only thing that will change is how players are developed and where those players come from. You will have colleges recruiting players that never played tackle football in their youth. But they couldn't get the full ride scholarship to play soccer, baseball or basketball so they will turn to football at the collegiate level. The quality of player may go down but will it be noticeable? If the skill level is decreased across the board at all positions you shouldn't see any significant change in game play that would lead to people viewing less.

I guess you could ask, if kids aren't playing football will they grow up to watch football? That may be a serious question. But I think there are many millions of people who watch today who never played at all or any significant amount as a youth.

I do think the decline in youth participation over the coming years will help soccer the most.

But my guess and hope is football will never go away.
Right on with most this except for “they couldn’t get the full ride soccer, baseball, etc....”. The best youth athletes are football players. They aren’t soccer baseball guys that are turned away and now running to football and accepting D1 football scholarships. I can’t see that happening ever.

And you are right I played football up to college I love watching it and have a different insight on the game but I still have tons of friends who didn’t play and didn’t even care to play that probably follow the NFL more than I do. I don’t see an impact here

Old 10-17-2018, 07:55 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,361,294 times
Why quotations around concussions in the title?

Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,879,507 times
Cellphones cause far more damage than playing football does, yet you still see plenty of people texting/reading emails/taking selfies/looking at Facebook, etc. while driving.

It will take a long time before football really has a serious downfall due to concussions. The sport still generates a massive amount of revenue for colleges and the NFL. We're talking 15 plus years from now.

I think some parents are deciding that they don't want their kids playing contact football until they're in 8th or 9th grade, which makes sense. Play flag in 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th grades. Get the basics of the game down and then learn the tackling component once you're 14 or 15. Football still provides a lot more opportunities for kids to go pro than say basketball. That means kids will still want to play and get a scholarship and take a chance to get into the NFL.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I think some parents are deciding that they don't want their kids playing contact football until they're in 8th or 9th grade, which makes sense. Play flag in 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th grades.
I think the risk of concussions in youths is lower than in the NFL, College and even high school grades.

What causes a concussion? Force to the head correct? Force= Mass x Acceleration

Youth football players have the smallest mass and slowest acceleration. Much less force being applied. As for their bone structure i would assume that is smaller as well possibly providing less protection but I think the Force being much less has a bigger effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football