U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 02:03 PM

1,060 posts, read 461,606 times

Advertisements

Pro ball seems to be losing fans , and dollars, faster than ever before now that proof of brain injuries has been shown to the public. It seems that football is more like Gladiator games than not with player deaths becoming much more common.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...of-the-season/

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: sp. corr.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:21 PM

471 posts, read 880,532 times
Default dinosaurs

IMO, younger generations are less interested in spectator sports. Similar to how they are less interested in cars & driving. NFL should be worried about the existing fan base aging out, and work on trying to get kids' attention.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:33 PM

51,893 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Pro ball seems to be losing fans , and dollars, faster than ever before now that proof of brain injuries has been shown to the public. It seems that football is more like Gladiator games than not with player deaths becoming much more common.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...of-the-season/
The Romans had Bulls trained to rape people to death (imagine what the training required), trained lions to kill people by breaking the arms and legs of old slaves......and once staged a historic naval battle on a nearby lake where about 25,000 captured slaves fought until about half were dead. (Oh and you could rent out young children to rape at "half time" in rooms under the stadium.) The movie "Gladiator" by Russel Crow should have been rated "G" instead of "R" relative to reality.

Historically inaccurate hyperbole just because Breitbart has a bone for the NFL because of kneeling is ridiculous.

Sorry someone forced you to watch it. Just flip the channel to one of the hundreds of others. *shrug*

Old 11-05-2018, 09:30 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,532,610 times
Really, this is no biggie. The fact is, the NFL on TV is just so much better than the NFL stadium experience. I've realized this, and many others are realizing it too. And it's ESPECIALLY better than the stadium experience of sitting up at the top of the upper deck (where the quote unquote true die-hard fans sit).

This notion that every NFL game in every stadium should be sold out or near a sellout every week is laughable. People think that because it's most popular sport in the country, ticket prices can just keep on rising to the moon and suckers will simply just pay it because......loyalty or something? City pride or something? Scared of your team/fans/City getting shamed in some snarky article or something?

The NFL is fine to me, more exiting than ever before (or at least the same as always). But myself (and all my friends who watch football) would rather be at a bar watching the games on Sunday than be at the Coliseum or Stubhub.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:59 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,121,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Really, this is no biggie. The fact is, the NFL on TV is just so much better than the NFL stadium experience. I've realized this, and many others are realizing it too. And it's ESPECIALLY better than the stadium experience of sitting up at the top of the upper deck (where the quote unquote true die-hard fans sit).

This notion that every NFL game in every stadium should be sold out or near a sellout every week is laughable. People think that because it's most popular sport in the country, ticket prices can just keep on rising to the moon and suckers will simply just pay it because......loyalty or something? City pride or something? Scared of your team/fans/City getting shamed in some snarky article or something?

The NFL is fine to me, more exiting than ever before (or at least the same as always). But myself (and all my friends who watch football) would rather be at a bar watching the games on Sunday than be at the Coliseum or Stubhub.
Totally in agreement.

I'd rather watch the NFL from the comfort of my own ranch-style, tract-type home -- wherein I am within close proximity to food, drink, climate-controlled environment, electronic technology and whatever creature comforts I may need. I get all camera angles, sounds and all other electronic technology that is available --along with superior studio updates, booth commentary and field reporting which I may choose to listen to.

All is well in my humble opinion.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:30 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Subprime summed it up perfectly....with the advent of the Redzone channel, Sunday Ticket, and all the other technical advances the last 5-10-15 years, I'm sad to say, but it's just not worth going out to the stadium anymore, you can get the stadium experience and than some, even better, at home on your couch.

I never used to go to a lot of NFL games, but I used to regularly attend 10-20 MLB games a year, but a couple years ago it hit me like a ton of bricks "why pay for tolls, parking, gas, grossly overpriced beer & concession items when I can just watch at home on the 56" TV, and drive to the local package store where I can get a 6 pack for less than what a single priced beer at the stadium would cost." I still attend a couple of year, but now it's only like 1-2 and not 15-20.

About the only sport I will still travel for and go out and see live is low level division 1, division 2, and division 3 college basketball. 2 reason I still attend those: 1) Those aren't on TV, and there's not even a lot that have internet broadcast. 2) I coach basketball, and have a ton of players that I either coached with or against, and I want to see as many of them as I can.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:34 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,261,428 times
Despite your intent to politicize, it's not just the NFL. NASCAR, the most dyed-in-the-wool conservative sport in America, is hemorrhaging fans. Racetrack owners have ripped out hundreds of thousands of empty seats, and TV ratings have declined 40-60% since NASCAR's peak in the late 90's/early 2000's.

FWIW, CTE is NOT endemic to football. Legendary BMX rider Dave Mirra committed suicide, and a postmortem brain scan showed - wait for it - CTE.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
CTE is not a football only injury for sure but it definitely shows up in football players more often. I think safety (CTE specifically) will have a drastic effect on the NFL in future generations... if parents wont let kids play when they are young, many wont watch when they are older..

NASCAR, simply had a boom and now that boom is gone and they are back to 1980s attendance... its always been a fringe sport.. although some drivers have CTE symptoms (Dale jr) and losing drivers like Dale Jr certainly effects attendance in the short term. In the long term, its not safety that keeps fans away. Its product quality.....

Old 11-06-2018, 08:46 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
So your "proof" that the NFL is losing money at a fast pace is to post a poorly written article from a substandard news "source"?

Old 11-06-2018, 11:10 AM

10,842 posts, read 19,416,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post

I guess you have never been to arrowhead stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4P6z_DTHf8

Not to mention the fun in the parking lot that starts hours before kickoff. TV doesn't come close to the real experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or