U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 11:39 AM

1,196 posts, read 483,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
WHAT!#@#$#

You left off Jim Brown, he never won a Super Bowl..
Jim Brown retired after the 1965 season, before the first Super Bowl was played. He did win a title with the team in 1964.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:13 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,019,936 times
I personally think that Aikman was one of the more overrated QBs of the last 30 years or so.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:28 PM

5,761 posts, read 4,248,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
way too much credit is given for a QB that is lucky enough to have a team carry them thru a SB

examples:
Mark Rypien
Doug Williams
Bob Griese
Jim Mcmahon
Joe Theismann
these guys were on a team that won a SB despite them, not because of them.
This isn't completely true. Mark Rypien was the Super Bowl MVP, as well as Doug Williams. It was Williams throwing 4 TD passes in that one half that pretty much blew the game wide open for the Redskins. Rypien tore the league up in 1991 - probably one of the most dominate QB play I've ever seen for the Redskins. Those guys deserve a lot of credit for getting a Super Bowl win for the 'skins in those years. Rypien for his play all season long, and Williams for having that monster 2nd half.

I give more credit to John Riggins for the 'skins first Super Bowl win, but without Joe Theismann, I don't believe the 'skins would have gotten back into the Super Bowl the following year. Heck, I don't think the 'skins would have gotten to the Super Bowl in '82.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:30 PM

5,667 posts, read 4,235,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Jim Brown retired after the 1965 season, before the first Super Bowl was played. He did win a title with the team in 1964.
wouldn't that still disqualify him for HOF?

Old 11-12-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
This isn't completely true. Mark Rypien was the Super Bowl MVP, as well as Doug Williams. It was Williams throwing 4 TD passes in that one half that pretty much blew the game wide open for the Redskins. Rypien tore the league up in 1991 - probably one of the most dominate QB play I've ever seen for the Redskins. Those guys deserve a lot of credit for getting a Super Bowl win for the 'skins in those years. Rypien for his play all season long, and Williams for having that monster 2nd half.

I give more credit to John Riggins for the 'skins first Super Bowl win, but without Joe Theismann, I don't believe the 'skins would have gotten back into the Super Bowl the following year. Heck, I don't think the 'skins would have gotten to the Super Bowl in '82.
i might be wrong but wasn't Mark Rypien and Doug Williams MVP of those Super Bowls? In fact, Rypien might have been MVP of the league that year.. granted he was a one hit wonder but the Redskins simply DO NOT WIN the Super Bowl or even make it (I think it was SB XXVI) without him.. Williams, although a great QB, certainly had the game of his life vs the Broncos.. could they have won it without him.. i don't think so.. but i could be wrong...

Old 11-12-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

This list says something about Coach Joe Gibbs.. he won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs.. not sure that's been done before.. I mean we gush all over Belichick and deservedly so but how many rings does he have without Brady???

Old 11-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I personally think that Aikman was one of the more overrated QBs of the last 30 years or so.
Not an uncommon argument because his stats simply aren't there. One of the selfless things Aikman did was simply win.. he ignored personal gain for team wins.. Not a lot of QBs in this league would do that.. or could do that. The Cowboys were simply a run oriented offense during Aikman's tenure, heck most good teams were. The Cowboys didn't pass much because they didn't have to.. not only did they have the best RB in the league with the best o line in the league but they did not find themselves behind very often near the end of games and therefore Aikman never benefited from 4th quarter garbage yards and TDs.

It doesn't hurt that his playoff record is 11-4...

That begs to question, what if the Cowboys pass on Aikman in the '89 draft and he goes to either the Lions, Chiefs, Falcons, Packers.. does Aikman and any of those teams win a SB... better would be was Aikman good enough to lead his team to a SB without the benefit a great surrounding cast.. maybe not.

Still, i don't think the Cowboys win any Super Bowls had they not had Aikman or at least a HOF caliber QB like AIkman. Certainly Favre, Young, Jim Kelly from that Era could have led the QBs to Super Bowl wins but very few if any others QBs from that time frame could have..

I certainly think Aikman is a HOF QB.. not the GOAT or even in the conversation but certainly HOFer...

Old 11-12-2018, 04:09 PM

1,196 posts, read 483,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Attempts to rank Troy Aikmanís stats adjusted for era show him as excellent, well within HoF standards. Kiran Rasaretnamís rankings have him 10th/10th/13th all time in best4/best7/best10 years, while Chase Stuart has him 38th all time in his system. Either way, no slouch.

One also has to remember that the Cowboys were run-first during his career, which would have depressed his raw numbers further.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:22 AM

10,490 posts, read 5,957,375 times
I can't believe this thread still has life. Anxiously awaiting the thread discussing the Hall of Fame potential for Ryan Tannehill.

Nobody considered Alex Smith a Hall of Famer, what are we doing here?

Old 11-13-2018, 03:45 AM

12,644 posts, read 4,270,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I can't believe this thread still has life. Anxiously awaiting the thread discussing the Hall of Fame potential for Ryan Tannehill.

Nobody considered Alex Smith a Hall of Famer, what are we doing here?
If Smith has 3 more good seasons after this year, and wins a SB - he will be considered for HOF. Should he be? Probably not, but the conversation will come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or