U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2018, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,499 posts, read 4,227,357 times
Reputation: 9815

Advertisements

Alex Smith has a very nice career....

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...S/SmitAl03.htm

.. and he's put up borderline HOF statistics. But nobody should think about voting him in until he wins some playoff games and at least one Super Bowl.

 
Old 11-09-2018, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
Reputation: 4582
In today's pass happy, offensive oriented league.. stats simply don't mean that much.

Case in point, Tony Romo has better stats that Hall of Famers Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach but Romo will never get into the HOF.. not because he wasn't good but because he wasn't a HALL FAMER like Staubach and Aikman.. Stats tell you very little of the story and even less in todays NFL.
 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Hartford CT
1,847 posts, read 2,050,135 times
Reputation: 3286
Even if he won a Super Bowl I wouldn't put him in. Just like I wouldn't put Joe Flacco in. The Hall of Fame is for great players, yes he has had some good and at times very good regular seasons, but it's not the hall of Very good.
 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,319 posts, read 21,890,925 times
Reputation: 33486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Alex Smith has a very nice career....

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...S/SmitAl03.htm

….. and he's put up borderline HOF statistics. But nobody should think about voting him in until he wins some playoff games and at least one Super Bowl.

other unworthy HOFers because of no Super Bowl appearances...

Barry Sanders
Dick Butkus
Deacon Jones
Merlin Olsen
Gale Sayers
Earl Campbell
Ken Houston
Eric Dickerson
Larry Wilson
Warren Moon
Lee Roy Selmon
Dan Fouts
Derrick Thomas
Steve Largent

also oh-fer in Super Bowl wins; Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino are all in the HOF and need to be removed
 
Old 11-09-2018, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,499 posts, read 4,227,357 times
Reputation: 9815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
other unworthy HOFers because of no Super Bowl appearances...

Barry Sanders
Dick Butkus
Deacon Jones
Merlin Olsen
Gale Sayers
Earl Campbell
Ken Houston
Eric Dickerson
Larry Wilson
Warren Moon
Lee Roy Selmon
Dan Fouts
Derrick Thomas
Steve Largent

also oh-fer in Super Bowl wins; Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino are all in the HOF and need to be removed
Roll your eyes all you want. I've been watching football a long time, and QB's don't get into the HOF unless they are all time greats, or very good QB's who have won super bowls. Smith is neither at this time.
As for the rest of your list....
Some of those guys were before my time so I won't comment. But these guys belong in:

Sanders
Butkus (before my time, but I know he was great)
Sayers (same thing - I've seen the films)
Campbell -- maybe the easiest call on this board.
Dickerson
Moon
Selmon
Fouts - borderline - he had a great 4 year stretch which got him in
Thomas
Largent
 
Old 11-09-2018, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Emmaus, PA
3,151 posts, read 2,193,197 times
Reputation: 2314
I guess Nick Foles will end up in the Hall of Fame. Good for him.
 
Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,847 posts, read 6,362,529 times
Reputation: 5800
Who is claiming Alex Smith his worthy of Canton? He's had a respectable career thus far but I don't think he's getting a bust in Canton even if he does win a Super Bowl.
 
Old 11-10-2018, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
10,460 posts, read 5,928,514 times
Reputation: 16156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Who is claiming Alex Smith his worthy of Canton? He's had a respectable career thus far but I don't think he's getting a bust in Canton even if he does win a Super Bowl.
You beat me to it. Alex Smith's mother does not think he is worthy of Hall of Fame consideration, what in the world are we talking about here?
 
Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 AM
 
929 posts, read 296,681 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You beat me to it. Alex Smith's mother does not think he is worthy of Hall of Fame consideration, what in the world are we talking about here?
Ditto. How in the world did this subject even come up? Feel like now I'm flying aimlessly in the Bermuda Triangle.
 
Old 11-10-2018, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,499 posts, read 4,227,357 times
Reputation: 9815
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Ditto. How in the world did this subject even come up? Feel like now I'm flying aimlessly in the Bermuda Triangle.
It came up because I looked at his career stats which are already very good, and if he plays a few more years, they are going to be close to HOF consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top