U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:19 AM

5,737 posts, read 4,261,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
most of the players listed in this thread would get schooled by todays athletes... they were elite in their time but the bar is constantly getting higher and faster. John Ross is faster than Deion Sanders, for instance--dont waste your time saying they played different positions..Deion played WR as well as CB. Someone else will beat Ross's 4.22 40 in the future too.
Von Miller and Luke Kuechly for todays LB.
I understand that argument, but there are a lot more factors involved than just bigger, stronger and faster players. Sure they are but not because of some genetic mutation or that man has evolved that much since the NFL was born. NO.. Advancement in training and nutrition have given today's players a decided edge over yesterdays players plus a big athletic kid today is encouraged to play a sport where as a big athletic kid back in the 30s or 40s was not encouraged, in fact he could have often simply been denied the opportunity to play a sport. I think that is the biggest reason for the size difference in the NFL today from yesterday. Knowing that, its not a stretch to believe that if a HOF player from the 60s were to be reborn today and grew up today with the encouragement and dream of an NFL future. He would receive the same training and nutrition of today's players would be equally talented. I think a player like Gayle Sayers would be even better today than he was in the 60s and likely better than 95% of the RBs in todays game. I think that if a player like Ray Nitschke had he been afforded the opportunity to work out and stay in shape on a yearly basis vs having to find a job in the off season to offset his NFL income would be equally as talented as 95% of the LBs today.

Still, your argument is valid. If you were to simply transplant Don Hutson from the 1930s into today's game he would likely struggle. But give him the same benefits as today's players, the same encouragement and opportunity as a young kid, the same training and nutrition regiment once he was in college and the Pros then i think he could play. Would he be as dominant as he was in the 30s...? Probably not because the competition on the other side of the ball is simply greater today but i do think he could play and he could play well. Bob Lilly, DT, who is on many All Time Defenses list would have to bulk up a tad to play in todays game.. He was 6'5" and played at a weight of about 260lbs. I suspect he could easily pack on 20 to 30 lbs of muscle and play at an elite level today.

If we take a step further and transplant Jerry Rice from 1990 into today's game i think you have an All Pro HOF player. I think the 1990 version of Jerry Rice would dominate the game today just as he did almost 30 years ago.. same for Deion Sanders. I think Deion could cover John Ross... Give me someone like Antonio Bryant and i could see him getting the best of Deion just as Rice did on occasion but Deion would be a All Pro CB today just as he was 25 years ago.

In the end, i think that the best of the best regardless of what era could be the best of the best in any era giving similar circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 08:42 AM

3,259 posts, read 1,675,664 times
The amazing Steelers from the 70's were the best IMHO.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:24 PM

32,578 posts, read 26,527,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
most of the players listed in this thread would get schooled by todays athletes... they were elite in their time but the bar is constantly getting higher and faster. John Ross is faster than Deion Sanders, for instance--dont waste your time saying they played different positions..Deion played WR as well as CB. Someone else will beat Ross's 4.22 40 in the future too.
Von Miller and Luke Kuechly for todays LB.

would they? you example of deion sanders vs john ross for instance. one thing deion was able to do is actually cover about half the field, and while ross might be faster, could he do the same thing? and lets talk contemporaries, sanders vs champ bailey. sanders was faster than bailey, but bailey was the better corner overall. both could cover about half the field each, so put them together and you can let your safeties do more than give deep support to the CBs. the big difference between sanders and abiley was that bailey was a better tackler than sanders was. but both had a great body of work to draw on, and both were intuitive players at the CB position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football