U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 05:08 AM

32,452 posts, read 26,325,155 times

Advertisements

since we already had the best offense, its time for the best defense. four down linemen, and three linebackers, or three and four your choice, and four defensive backs/safeties.

my four down linemen are

ends - ed too tall jones, and bubba smith

tackles - rosey grier and bob lilly

linebackers - junior seau, lawrence taylor, chuck bednarik

cornerbacks/safeties - champ bailey, deion sanders, ronnie lott, troy polomalu

lets hear yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 06:48 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
I loved Too Tall Jones in his day but any all time defense without Reggie White is way off, IMO.

in fact both your DEs, albeit great, all not what i would call All Timers..
for my money, it would be Reggie White and Deacon Jones.

for Tackles, i would keep Lilly and replace Rosey with 'Mean Joe' Greene.

I wouldn't argue much about your LBs, but for my money i want Butkis in the middle, LT on one side and Derrick Thomas on the other.

I would probably put Dick 'Night Train' Lane opposite of Deion on the corners just to add some throwback in there..

At safety, obviously Lott is the best but i would include Paul Krause at Free safety not because i think he was better than Polomalu but just because he is simply the most underrated player in NFL history (IMO!).

So to recap here is my All time Defensive team:

DE - Reggie White
DT - 'Mean' Joe Greene
DT - Bob Lilly
DE - Deacon Jones

OLB - Lawrence Taylor
MLB - Dick Butkis
OLB - Derrick Thomas

CB - Dick 'Night Train' Lane
SS - Ronnie Lott
FS - Paul Krause
CB - Deion Sanders

Old 12-02-2018, 08:50 AM

32,452 posts, read 26,325,155 times
mco, i did think about picking white and jones both for DE, in the end however the four DEs we picked are four of the best and it comes down to emotions at that point. i am sure others will have their emotional picks as well.

the reason i picked champ bailey at CB is his overall body of work. yes there are "better" CBs out there, but bailey was always consistent. he also had speed similar to sanders, so basically you have two corners that can cover the field if needed.

the reason i picked polomalu is as a run stopper more than a pass defender. i have always been one where if you stop the running game, you have a better chance of shutting down an opposing offense, because the offensive line then has to concentrate on pass blocking, and that can be very tiring for the line, and that means your defensive line become more effective, especially later in the game.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:19 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,509 times
DT: Merlin Olson, Bob Lilly
DE: Reggie White, Deacon Jones
MLB: Dick Butkus
OLB: Bobby Bell, Lawrence Taylor
CB: Dick Lane, Jim Johnson
S: Ronnie Lott, Larry Wilson

Old 12-02-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
since we already had the best offense, its time for the best defense. four down linemen, and three linebackers, or three and four your choice, and four defensive backs/safeties.

my four down linemen are

ends - ed too tall jones, and bubba smith

tackles - rosey grier and bob lilly

linebackers - junior seau, lawrence taylor, chuck bednarik

cornerbacks/safeties - champ bailey, deion sanders, ronnie lott, troy polomalu

lets hear yours.
I guess you don’t want a MLB on your team? Note well that Bednarik played LLB nearly all his career (as well as center, of course) and Seau played RLB most of his career.

Despite the explanations, also not sold on Grier, Jones, Smith, Bailey, or Polamalu on a “best ever” defensive squad. Your choice, of course, but not mine.

Best four DTs of all time to me would be Olson, Lilly, Joe Greene, and Alan Page. Chose the first two for my team.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:22 PM

4,343 posts, read 7,989,318 times
Reggie White, Mean Joe Green, Randy White, Bruce Smith

LT, Ray Lewis, M. Singletary

Champ Bailey, Ronnie Lott, Sean Taylor, Darrell Green

Old 12-02-2018, 07:31 PM

929 posts, read 296,681 times
Thought Bruce Smith was a tad better than Reggie White. Darrell Green should be one corner for sure, and before Deion Sanders.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:05 PM

51,917 posts, read 41,791,093 times
I think the DG vs Deion discussion highlights that are you talking about career length or peak?

Because DG played about twice as long but Deion was on way more 1st team all-pros and has stats like interceptions about even with the guy despite playing half as many years.

This is nothing but admiration for the both, but in these cases it's like apples and oranges.

Hats off to many of you already noting that personal feelings are the decider in many of these cases where there is no clear *best* except for a few cases.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Darrell Green should be one corner for sure, and before Deion Sanders.
If you value coverage ability, you'll want to choose either Jim Johnson or Deion Sanders first, as they have arguably the best reputation for this skill. Honorable mention to Darrelle Revis, Mike Haynes, Roger Wehrli, and Albert Lewis here. Paul Zimmerman (known as Dr. Z and both a longtime Sports Illustrated columnist and film study expert) listed all but Revis (who played after the time he wrote columns) as such.

If you want bump and run style CBs, you'll want to consider Dick Lane, Willie Brown, Herb Adderley, or Mel Blount as your options. The first two were listed as the best such players by Dr. Z.

For my team, I chose the top option from each category (Johnson and Lane), though it's tough to go wrong with any of them.

Darrell Green was indeed a legit HoF level player and had an extremely long and productive career, but I wouldn't pick him over Sanders. YMMV.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:10 PM

5,118 posts, read 1,821,977 times
most of the players listed in this thread would get schooled by todays athletes... they were elite in their time but the bar is constantly getting higher and faster. John Ross is faster than Deion Sanders, for instance--dont waste your time saying they played different positions..Deion played WR as well as CB. Someone else will beat Ross's 4.22 40 in the future too.
Von Miller and Luke Kuechly for todays LB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football