U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:11 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,240,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
uh, trick question?
How could you Not go with Green Bay..
Easily. What are you going to have in Green Bay when Rodgers is done? Rodgers is the heart and soul of the Green Bay Packers. If he goes down with injury, the Packers go down. Aaron is 35 years old. If I'm an up and coming head coach, I want to choose a team that has a young, promising quarterback like what Baker Mayfield seems to be. Rodgers has had a great career, but he's heading toward the twilight of his career. We all can look at Tom Brady and say, "Well, Brady is 41 and doesn't look like he's slowing down. Why can't Rodgers or any other quarterback play well into his 40's?" Maybe Rodgers can play well into his 40's, but don't count on it. I think the Browns have more going for them than the Packers have at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 08:01 AM

5,631 posts, read 4,228,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Easily. What are you going to have in Green Bay when Rodgers is done? Rodgers is the heart and soul of the Green Bay Packers. If he goes down with injury, the Packers go down. Aaron is 35 years old. If I'm an up and coming head coach, I want to choose a team that has a young, promising quarterback like what Baker Mayfield seems to be. Rodgers has had a great career, but he's heading toward the twilight of his career. We all can look at Tom Brady and say, "Well, Brady is 41 and doesn't look like he's slowing down. Why can't Rodgers or any other quarterback play well into his 40's?" Maybe Rodgers can play well into his 40's, but don't count on it. I think the Browns have more going for them than the Packers have at the moment.
You have a valid QB argument but you have to look beyond the QB position and look at the front office. The Packers have been a consistent contender since the early 90s... the front office they have gives me confidence they will continue to be successful even after Rodgers is gone. i just can't say the same about the Browns.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:13 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,585,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The mistake by the lake, No. Green Bay is the better choice.
I see you are trying to be witty, but for this conversation, the Browns have a LOT going for them, several high draft picks coming up in 2019 as well. With the right coach and with the AFC North on the decline, the Browns are in control of their own destiny.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 642,075 times
Quote:
You have a valid QB argument but you have to look beyond the QB position and look at the front office. The Packers have been a consistent contender since the early 90s... the front office they have gives me confidence they will continue to be successful even after Rodgers is gone. i just can't say the same about the Browns.
Right now, the Packers front office is a mess and very dysfunctional. The GM isn't in charge of the coaching search, the GM also has to answer to some other front office guy who isn't even the VP of Football Operations. At least, the Browns now have a stable front office led by John Dorsey; the only that may turn off candidates is the ownership.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 12-10-2018 at 11:43 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 11:31 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,840,021 times
Quote:
Rodgers is brittle. The Packers have been successful for over a quarter-century because they got the QB right. What are the odds they get a third straight All-Timer at QB to succeed Rodgers and keep the gravy train going?

I wouldn't want the Packers job, structure is in disarray and disjointed, Rodgers is one more injury away from finished, roster is not ready to contend right now. Cleveland is young and skilled at every position, with a proven GM and in position to contend with a year more experience. Gimme the Browns!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 AM

9,430 posts, read 7,108,610 times
Browns. You have no real expectation of success. You pull an 8-8 season, they'll name you head coach for life.. You pull an 8-8 in Green Bay, they'll be calling for you to be fired.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:08 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,240,099 times
Quote:
The Packers don't have the same front office as they did in the 90's, and Packer fans like Susan could probably give more incite on the front office. You don't have to look into it that much to see that the front office isn't doing enough to build a complete team. Simply enough, when Rodgers is playing, the Packers win. When he isn't, the Packers don't win. Besides a player or two, what on earth would give you confidence in the Packers once Rodgers is done? I don't see it.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:21 PM

2,270 posts, read 883,396 times
Quote:
Another way of saying this is...

"The Packers have, since 1992, had the good fortune of having stumbled across a pair of Hall of Fame QBs that no one else wanted."

Favre ('cause, hey, when ya got Chris Miller backed up by Wade Wilson and Billy Joe Tolliver, who the heck needs Brett Favre?) and Aaron I-fell-all-the-way-to-#24 Rodgers. Nice moves, but lucky. After all, the Packers passed on Favre at #19 in 1991 in favor of Vinne Clark. Remember him? That's OK - no one remembers Vinnie. If the Packers were such geniuses at amassing talent, they would have squeezed more than two rings out of 27 years of first-ballot HOFers under center. But there's no particular reason to believe that the Packers are going to just chance upon another Canton-bound passer once Rodgers hangs it up in the near future - they're far more likely to end up with the second coming of Lynn Dickey on the frozen tundra.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:47 PM

21,360 posts, read 21,922,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Another way of saying this is...

"The Packers have, since 1992, had the good fortune of having stumbled across a pair of Hall of Fame QBs that no one else wanted."

Favre ('cause, hey, when ya got Chris Miller backed up by Wade Wilson and Billy Joe Tolliver, who the heck needs Brett Favre?) and Aaron I-fell-all-the-way-to-#24 Rodgers. Nice moves, but lucky. After all, the Packers passed on Favre at #19 in 1991 in favor of Vinne Clark. Remember him? That's OK - no one remembers Vinnie. If the Packers were such geniuses at amassing talent, they would have squeezed more than two rings out of 27 years of first-ballot HOFers under center. But there's no particular reason to believe that the Packers are going to just chance upon another Canton-bound passer once Rodgers hangs it up in the near future - they're far more likely to end up with the second coming of Lynn Dickey on the frozen tundra.
it's all so terrible...terrible, terrible, terrible

Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,375,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Rodgers is one more injury away from finished, roster is not ready to contend right now. Cleveland is young and skilled at every position, with a proven GM and in position to contend with a year more experience. Gimme the Browns!
How is Rodgers "one more injury away from finished?" Sure, every NFL player is one injury away, but that's less so with QBs. Rodgers is pretty healthy overall. I haven't heard of any ongoing shoulder/ankle/back etc complaints like some QBs have. His knee he hurt in week 1 is a non-issue now. I don't see how he's 1 injury away from being done. He's not Romo towards the end of his playing career.

I think with some tweaking, the roster actually is ready to contend. Many of the same players today were on the roster the Packers had 2 seasons ago when they made it to the NFC championship game. This team has shown signs of excellence every game. It's been frustrating because they haven't put it together & played a complete game this season in a long time. The potential is right there though. Plus, GB is an organization that's used to winning. Yes, this season has been different & changes have already been made. I expect a nice improvement next year. The team is tighter then people think. Whole team gave McCarthy a standing ovation when he returned one last time. I haven't heard any players come out & speak badly out anybody.

I have a soft spot for the Browns & hope they finally turn it around, but haven't we been saying year after year that next year's going to be better? Yet here we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or