U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 636,323 times

Advertisements

As we all know one thing is for sure in the NFL: head coaches (and GMs) being fired. The Cleveland Browns and Green Bay Packers have started a little early by firing their head coaches in midseason. There's been ongoing debates about which head coaching job is more attractive between the Browns and Packers. Some say the Browns for various reasons, some say the Packers for various reasons. Which head coaching do you think is more appealing to a coach? Breakdown the pros and cons of each head coaching job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 PM

5,754 posts, read 4,228,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
As we all know one thing is for sure in the NFL: head coaches (and GMs) being fired. The Cleveland Browns and Green Bay Packers have started a little early by firing their head coaches in midseason. There's been ongoing debates about which head coaching job is more attractive between the Browns and Packers. Some say the Browns for various reasons, some say the Packers for various reasons. Which head coaching do you think is more appealing to a coach? Breakdown the pros and cons of each head coaching job.
I'm going with the Browns, because I think they are a younger team who's hungry and very talented. You still have Rodgers in Green Bay, but I think GB is headed toward some minor rebuild, while the Browns are heading upward.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:30 PM

2,748 posts, read 2,368,848 times
If you would have told me 3 months ago they'd have the same record & be in this comparison I wouldn't believe it.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 PM

8,772 posts, read 7,695,901 times
The mistake by the lake, No. Green Bay is the better choice.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The mistake by the lake, No. Green Bay is the better choice.
For what reason? Aaron Rodgers is nearly past his prime plus there's more pressure in Green Bay to win right away. FYI, The Mistake by the Lake is very 1960s; the river caught on fire 50 years ago.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:45 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
uh, trick question?
How could you Not go with Green Bay..

Old 12-10-2018, 05:47 AM

3,171 posts, read 4,636,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'm going with the Browns, because I think they are a younger team who's hungry and very talented. You still have Rodgers in Green Bay, but I think GB is headed toward some minor rebuild, while the Browns are heading upward.

I'll ditto this completely. You'll have some leeway at Cleveland to build up the team. At GB right now you'd be under a microscope and second guessed from the day you show up.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:11 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,543,470 times
This isn't a cut and dried easy choice. Browns are building something, heading in the right direction, they have good personnel in their front office. Dorsey is from GB, 2 more from here went with him, good guys. Players have, too, we call it GB East. A young QB, playing well, team is young, heading in the right direction.

Current structure in GB might put off some candidates. GM doesn't have football control, Murphy changed it when Thompson stepped down. The coach, finance guy, GM report to him. GM doesn't have control he should, Murphy is acting like a controlling owner (he isn't). He does have to answer to a board of directors so we'll see how this plays out. When Ron Wolf came to GB, he wouldn't come unless they changed the silo effect, Murphy put it back.

Of course I'm partial to GB, the history, stadium, facilities, awesome, year round destination for fans, but pointing out there are reasons a candidate might hesitate. The team itself needs to look at their O line, D line, some good players heading to FA this year, it isn't a total rebuild but they have work to do. They have to protect Rodgers at the end of his career rather than the beginning. He is 35 wants to play 5 more years but will he?

I see both sides and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Murphy is taking a committee approach for hiring a coach? Who does that? He needs to let the GM be in charge of football stuff, he can worry about the Title Town stuff.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:12 AM

4,847 posts, read 6,358,168 times
Cleveland is up and coming. Green Bay will be a disaster once Rodgers is done. Right now if I am a coach the only problem I have with Cleveland is their history with revolving door coaches. They did show some patience with Hue so, perhaps, things are going to be different.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
uh, trick question?
How could you Not go with Green Bay..
Why do you feel that Green Bay is the more attractive coaching job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or