U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 03:11 AM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Iím surprised they were so quick to say Wentz is their guy. I would at least leave it open to entertain trade offers. Wentz was regularly injured in college and now it has been the same in the NFL.

wentz is still on his rookie contract and thus still cheap. foles on the other hand is expensive, especially as a back up. and to take last years team to, and win, the super bowl, and take this years team to the second round of the playoffs makes him a valuable commodity. if he stays with the eagles, they are going to have to pony up $20 million to keep him, even as a back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 05:46 AM

6,777 posts, read 10,172,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wentz is still on his rookie contract and thus still cheap. foles on the other hand is expensive, especially as a back up. and to take last years team to, and win, the super bowl, and take this years team to the second round of the playoffs makes him a valuable commodity. if he stays with the eagles, they are going to have to pony up $20 million to keep him, even as a back up.

He is not staying in Philly.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,856,246 times
Quote:
if he stays with the eagles, they are going to have to pony up $20 million to keep him, even as a back up.
As I pointed out before. The two together only total a cap hit of $29 million. A number of starting QBs total that amount or even slightly more by themselves. It would be unorthodox to pay your presumed back up more than the starter but in this instance the total money between the two could work.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM

28,248 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I think Wentz has the POTENTIAL to be a better QB than Nick Foles. However, he isn't there yet. Foles shows the poise, and cool head of a veteran QB that has won big games over, and over in his career. Foles has proven he is CLUTCH. Wentz has NOT proven that yet. Can Wentz become that? Of course, but he is also injury prone, so one has to wonder if he will complete a season, and be able to get a team deep into the playoffs.

At this point, even if Wentz were 100% healthy, I'd have to hitch my wagon to Nick Foles once AGAIN.
At this point I don't think there should be any debate that Wentz is the better QB.

However, I don't think "who is the better QB" is the only relevant issue here. The pro-Wentz crowd points to the fact that he's younger, more talented, and is the better QB if you take the long view of things. The thing is, though, that professional football is not a sport that necessarily rewards taking a long-term view of things. In the NBA, you can invest in a Steph Curry or Lebron James and guarantee your team several more appearances in the NBA Finals. In the NFL, you can have a super talented guy like Aaron Rodgers who's started 11 seasons but has only been to the SB once. Hell, Andrew Luck was supposed to be the Second Coming and he still hasn't gotten there.

A QB is only as good as the pieces around him. It's better, IMO, to have an above average QB surrounded by weapons and a great defense than a stellar QB without that. If Wentz can be traded for 1st round picks and allows us the Eagles to shed salary in the process, I think that's something that needs to be taken into consideration.

TL;DR Success isn't guaranteed even with a very talented QB and it might be best to put weapons around the less talented QB and strike while the iron is hot.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:35 AM

28,248 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Wentz is cheap for now. You can't pay him like a rookie forever.

As others have said, the Eagles should see what other GMs are willing to put on the table for him. I'm sure there are enough dysfunctional franchises with incompetent GMs and desperate fanbases that would be willing to pay a king's ransom for him. Maybe the Eagles can pull off a Danny Ainge and load up on a billion years' worth of 1st Round picks while giving up very little in value.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,413,133 times
Foles could probably start for the majority of NFL teams.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:03 AM

17,608 posts, read 8,837,966 times
I believe Foles will go start somewhere else which makes me sad because I really like him as a player, and individual. I don't think the Eagles can afford to keep him another year, and he probably doesn't want to remain a back up QB. However, I predict Wentz will get hurt again, and the Eagles will not have Foles to bail them out like he has the last two seasons. Nate Sudfeld may be a good QB, but I doubt he's as good as Foles at least for now. Most teams don't have the luxury of having two starting caliber QB's, so I guess this is par for the course.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:00 AM

5,799 posts, read 6,572,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Foles could probably start for the majority of NFL teams.
Jacksonville would be a good choice.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,413,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Agreed. Bortles has had enough time to prove he is not the answer.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,172,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Jacksonville would be perfect for him since Defilippo is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football