Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 09:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
still an upset.......if Foles and the Eagles wins the last 2 games at home versus the Texans in Philly and at the Redskins, they will probably make the playoffs and this is a dangerous team with Foley.

you are correct, though the eagles still need help to get into the playoffs, unless they win out and the cowboys lose out. cowboys get one win and the eagles road is much tougher since they lose the tie breakers to teams ahead of them. we shall see though.

murksiderock, i agree with some of what you posted, but i think wentz isnt going to fold like carr has, but we shall see. i do think he was too tentative when he came back though, but he opened up as teh season progressed.

as for foles, i watched him play here at arizona, and he was always consistent with his accuracy, and he was loved by his teammates, and that is important for a quarterback. some QBs are successful but their teammates hate them. foles is successful because his teammates love him. chemistry is very important in a team, especially on offense. without good chemsitry, you can have the best quaterback, and teh best offensive line, and skill players, and be the browns or bengals. on the other hand, you can have average, at best, players on the offense, and come close to being the patriots or the packers at their best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
One of the things that is often overlooked was that last year the Eagles were 10-2 on the way to being 11-2 before Wentz got hurt and Foles took over. It wasn't like Foles took a bad team and led them to a Super Bowl win... they were one of the favorites to make it out of the NFC before he took over... This year is a different story, the Eagles are a far cry from what they were last year especially on defense... make no mistake, this team is still behind the 8 ball but they sure looked better than they have all year last night...

Could lightning strike the same place twice!? I would have to see it to believe it, but after watching last year i wouldn't bet against it.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:01 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are correct, though the eagles still need help to get into the playoffs, unless they win out and the cowboys lose out. cowboys get one win and the eagles road is much tougher since they lose the tie breakers to teams ahead of them. we shall see though.

Vikings have the #6 seed right now with 7-6-1 : Vikings have to beat Detroit on the road and the Bears.
Eagles are 7-7: they have to beat the Texans at home and beat the Redskins.

Eagles need to win out and for the Vikings lose 1 of their last 2 games...it's possible

now the Cowboys final 2 games are against Tampa and @Giants.....I don't see Dallas losing 3 games in a row. I think if the Eagles get in it's because of the Vikings. That's the only path they have.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Nick Foles came in last year, won the critical games in the regular season, then won all his playoff games including the Super Bowl against a red hot Tom Brady, and a good Patriot team. Foles out Brady-ied Brady. He is the antithesis of Tom Brady, thankfully, yet was able to pull off a win. I think he runs the Eagles offense better than Wentz, and I think he shows the poise of an accomplished veteran.

I said this last season, and some disagreed with me. The Eagles need to find a way to keep Foles next year as Wentz yet again proves he is injury prone. Without Foles this season, the Eagles would not even have a shot at the playoffs.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:18 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Eagles panicked and rushed Wentz back too soon. That is an organizational error, they would have done better testing Wentz as long as possible, just like the Colts did Luck last year. Yes, it may have cost them some losses and possibly the season, but if he's your future, you dont risk it for half a year of work...

Wentz was only 5-6 this year anyway and clearly didn't look the part of the elite player from last year. I would attribute at least part of that to a rushed recovery time...

This has to be said, and Eagles fans may not like it. Carson Wentz has now played three seasons. He has tremendous upside, but he has an injury history, and he's looking like the NFC version of Derek Carr. He had one year (last year) that he just knocked it out of the park and looked like he could be one of the best players in the game. Other than that, we are looking at a player who is just slightly above average who cant stay on the field...

If I'm the Eagles, if Foles ends this season on a winning streak, I'm seriously evaluating these two in the offseason. Yeah, we think Wentz is the better player, but we really don't know that, do we? They have virtually the same record as a starter (Foles 23-18, Wentz 23-17), and while Foles has been prone to horrible stretches, he's been around longer. Wentz hasn't had the dumpster stretches, but again, aside from last year, he has a losing record as a starter (12-15). His mechanics aren't great, either...

I'm coming down on Carson Wentz. I'm not necessarily high on Foles either, but I don't think it's so clear cut that Wentz is the better fit for this team, or the better player. I have one great season and two average seasons, I'm weighing "potential" versus what I've actually seen. I just think we did this with Derek Carr a few years ago, we anointed him as an elite player after one great year, when the rest of his body of work is average. If his ceiling is Derek Carr, that isn't terrible but it definitely isn't great...

If, big if, but if Philly finishes this year on a hot streak, there needs to be some serious, serious evaluation at the QB position for next year. I would not be averse to naming Foles the starter and putting Wentz on the bench. He clearly needs more development and again, what I've actually seen, not what I think Wentz can be "possibly", but what I've actually seen, there is a very thin margin as to which guy is the better fit for the team...

They say when you have two quarterbacks, you don't have a quarterback. The Philadelphia Eagles are gonna have a long offseason, they don't have a quarterback...
That's a long-winded way of describing someone you think is...overrated!

It is an interesting point. I guess we'll have to wait and see those next two games.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:03 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Vikings have the #6 seed right now with 7-6-1 : Vikings have to beat Detroit on the road and the Bears.

Eagles need to win out and for the Vikings lose 1 of their last 2 games...it's possible

now the Cowboys final 2 games are against Tampa and @Giants.....I don't see Dallas losing 3 games in a row. I think if the Eagles get in it's because of the Vikings. That's the only path they have.
If the Panthers win tonight, they are also ahead of the Eagles.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:04 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,933,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Let's go Saints! The Eagles helped them out last night beating the Rams, the least they can do is return the favor.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:19 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

that would be a huge upset. If the Saints lose to the Panthers then the Patriots lost to the Steelers fails in comparison.

If that happens the NFL is really very inconsistent and anybody that makes it in the playoffs has a shot to with the SB.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:19 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
that would be a huge upset. If the Saints lose to the Panthers then the Patriots lost to the Steelers fails in comparison.

If that happens the NFL is really very inconsistent and anybody that makes it in the playoffs has a shot to with the SB.
What makes the NFL the best league is the parity. For all of the Patriots talk, and they have been the most consistent franchise for two decades, but this decade (2010 to now), they only have two championships this decade, most in the NFL; 11 teams have played in the Super Bowl this decade (34.4%); there have been 7 different Super Bowl winners (21.9%). For comparison sake:

•Los Angeles Galaxy have 3 MLS Cups this decade; 12 teams have played for the MLS Cup (50%); 7 teams have won the Cup (29.2%)
•Chicago Blackhawks have 3 Stanley Cups this decade; 13 teams have played for the Stanley Cup (41.9%); 5 teams have won the Cup (16.1%)
•Golden State Warriors have won 3 NBA Finals this decade; 8 teams have played for the NBA Finals (26.7%); 6 teams have won the Finals (20%)
•San Francisco Giants have won 3 World Series this decade; 11 teams have played for the World Series (36.7%); 6 teams have won the World Series (20%)

Only MLS has more parity. The NFL also has the second smallest playoff bracket, after MLB. It's a mischaracterization to call the NFL inconsistent. If anything, we and soccer are the sports closest to competitive balance...

Old 12-17-2018, 07:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:

i never said the eagles path was easy, just that it was open for them. i agree that they need help to get into the playoffs, and despite them being on a roll right now, when they play washington, you can bet that just about anything can happen, same with the cowboys playing the giants. these are rivalry games, and those games are fraught with minefields of better teams losing to lesser teams.

i also dont see the cowboys losing three in a row, nor do i see the eagles winning three in a row, but this season has been a model of inconsistency in results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football