Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times

Advertisements

Football is always better on tv. That being said, muting the tv and listening to the radio broadcast is fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Yep. Thanks for saluting radio. It remains a strong media player here in 2019.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Football is always better on tv. That being said, muting the tv and listening to the radio broadcast is fun.
As long as they are in sync. I stream my TV and am always a few seconds behind real time.

Typically, i mute the TV and just watch.. no audio required.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
As long as they are in sync. I stream my TV and am always a few seconds behind real time.

Typically, i mute the TV and just watch.. no audio required.
My late Dad did the same. He couldn't take all the talk, and especially the commercials. Of course, he was of a generation that actually read books.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:26 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Most of the long time NFL announcers are pretty good....acceptable at least. But now, bowing to PC, the have that token female play by play announcer (Beth Mowen)...she's terrible & unlisten-able. She tries to talk with a deeper sports Marv Albert type voice & delivery and it's ridiculous.

Don't care how you label me.....NFL football is a male sport....no place for a female in the booth, especially one who got the position not in SPITE of her gender but BECAUSE of it. Fortunately, she's only done a few low demand games...hopefully she's canned asap.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Most of the long time NFL announcers are pretty good....acceptable at least. But now, bowing to PC, the have that token female play by play announcer (Beth Mowen)...she's terrible & unlisten-able. She tries to talk with a deeper sports Marv Albert type voice & delivery and it's ridiculous.

Don't care how you label me.....NFL football is a male sport....no place for a female in the booth, especially one who got the position not in SPITE of her gender but BECAUSE of it. Fortunately, she's only done a few low demand games...hopefully she's canned asap.
I can't blame her for trying. The bigger question is can other female sportscasters step up? I don't care about the lack of PC luckyram, but your idea there is "no place for a females in the booth", is a bit over the top until we can prove there are not other females that can indeed do this job well.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post

Beth is no better or worse than 90% of the play by play announcers IMO. i have listened to her, not long but only because i simply don't like listening to most any announcers. I don't get the impression that Beth got the job because she is female.. she might have but i don't get that impression. You see some sideline reporters and then listen to them and you know right away why they got the job.. that's not the case with Beth...

There are some announcers that I like listening too, Mike Joy comes to mind... but they always pair them with someone i could live without therefore.. mute.

Another announcer i really like, not play by play but color announcer is Andre Ware... he has a simple classic, easy to listen to voice... he knows the game, doesn't get too excited or too critical.. he's just good. Not sure why he still doing bottom level SEC games.. maybe i am the only one who does like him.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:01 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
I like baseball on the radio but I grew up listening to it. I'd go to bed and hide a "transistor" radio under the covers and listen to the Astros back in the day. I remember staying awake as a 13 year old hearing the 'Stros beat the Mets in 24 innings 1-0.

Football is way different, too much action for a play-by-play guy to portray by voice only ... the real play is watered down to a couple of poorly described highlights. Football must be visually witnessed to get all the games within the game and digitally recorded is the best ... I can go back and do my own replays. Unfortunately one doesn't get enough full field shots to see the whole of the action.

Now as far as announcers, there are many that grate on my nerves. Aikman is so generic with the same sound-bites over and over and Joe Buck, his on air partner is a wimpy little limp wristed dude that plays favorites. Witten has no pizzazzzz ! Marv Albert has a freaky history I can't get past. Blah blah blah ! 90% I don't care for so I subconsciously tune out most of their blather. Romo is awesome.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
If I were of the mind to waste 3 hours for a game scheduled for 1 hour of actual play it would be watched on TV.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:02 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Depending on who is announcing on TV, I do like listening to Wayne and Larry, a great duo on the radio!

I may be embarrassing myself since I do consider myself a serious sports guy, but who is Wayne and Larry??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football