U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:10 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times

Advertisements

I want Gruden gone from Washington. and Allen. And Snyder.. Not getting the last one unless there's an act of God.

Blow it all up. Top to bottom. Keep Doug Williams. He's the only one who could stay and not tick me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 08:15 PM

19,986 posts, read 18,947,165 times
Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals) is expected to be fired.

In regards to front office moves, Carolina Panthers' general manager Marty Hurney is expected to be fired. Head coach Ron Rivera is returning.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:27 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,975,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Dirk Koetter, Bucs coach has been fired.
Yep. They made him walk the Plank !

Old 12-30-2018, 08:31 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
Giants ended the season well, so I'd keep Shurmur.
Even though Wilkes is a first year coach he looked so befuddled & confused on the sidelines that I'd part ways with him. He was a pretty good coordinator but an awful head coach, and really I don't think year 2 or year 3 or year 4 is going to change anything with regards to that.
Bowles & Koetter firings you could see coming from 20,000 miles away.
McDermott will survive imo. That team did enough this year after he was left with a barren wasteland to begin the season.
I'm back and forth with Vance Joseph, I'll let the Broncos fan Iknowfootball talk about that. Through 6 weeks I thought he was more cooked than a well-done steak. Then they reeled off 4-5 wins in a row in late October-late November to sneak back into the playoff picture before crapping the bed in December so I'd probably let him go. His problem is that none of his December losses were really that close, and they weren't playing great teams so with that said he's likely gone.
Harbaugh ain't getting fired but he could end up getting traded. And really if I'm Packers management I'm backing up the draft picks truck to Ravens headquarters in Baltimore. He would be a GREAT coach for that team next year.
Gase and Marrone I believe will be back next year.

2 names not on here that I would get rid of before next year though:
Ron Rivera- Panthers
Mike Tomlin- Steeler.

Panthers did end the year with a win....but that was over the Saints B & C teams, and before than had lost 7 in a row and had gone from 6-2 well within striking distance of not only a playoff but a division title (remember they still had not yet played the Saints at that time as they still had 2 matchups remaining with them) to a complete afterthought in the playoff picture. He had 1 good season, and even with a pro-bowl quarterback (albeit a completely overrated one) they had never been a consistent presence in the NFC playoff picture like the Seahawks or Saints have or the Patriots or Steelers in the AFC.
Speaking of the Steelers I know it's not their MO to fire coaches as I believe they have only had 3 coaches since the late 70's, but the Steelers are a marquee franchise that should be competiting for Super Bowls most every season, and sorry Steeler fans but the facts are facts: with Tomlin this team has been a playoff underachiever year after year. I get it, they have had to run into the Patriots a lot, a lot of times in Foxborough, but if Tomlin doesn't have his annual 2 to 3 games a year where he completely %^&ks up, they probably play some of those games in Pittsburgh. Maybe it's still not enough, but at least you get a game or 2 at home instead of consistently traveling to Foxborough every year. After a while the Rooney Family won't settle for just mediocrity anymore (which is what Tomlin is), and if there's ever a year to change the culture in Pittsburgh and start changing mediocrity back to winning this is definitely the year with the Steelers falling from basically an insurmountable division lead at Thanksgiving to out of the playoff picture at Christmas to eliminated from the playoffs by New Years.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:28 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,880,962 times
How Marvin Lewis has lasted this long in Cincinnati is truly head scratching.

So now we have Cleveland, Green Bay, New York Jets and Tampa Bay all looking for head coaches.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:44 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,831,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Giants ended the season well, so I'd keep Shurmur.
Even though Wilkes is a first year coach he looked so befuddled & confused on the sidelines that I'd part ways with him. He was a pretty good coordinator but an awful head coach, and really I don't think year 2 or year 3 or year 4 is going to change anything with regards to that.
Bowles & Koetter firings you could see coming from 20,000 miles away.
McDermott will survive imo. That team did enough this year after he was left with a barren wasteland to begin the season.
I'm back and forth with Vance Joseph, I'll let the Broncos fan Iknowfootball talk about that. Through 6 weeks I thought he was more cooked than a well-done steak. Then they reeled off 4-5 wins in a row in late October-late November to sneak back into the playoff picture before crapping the bed in December so I'd probably let him go. His problem is that none of his December losses were really that close, and they weren't playing great teams so with that said he's likely gone.
Harbaugh ain't getting fired but he could end up getting traded. And really if I'm Packers management I'm backing up the draft picks truck to Ravens headquarters in Baltimore. He would be a GREAT coach for that team next year.
Gase and Marrone I believe will be back next year.

2 names not on here that I would get rid of before next year though:
Ron Rivera- Panthers
Mike Tomlin- Steeler.

Panthers did end the year with a win....but that was over the Saints B & C teams, and before than had lost 7 in a row and had gone from 6-2 well within striking distance of not only a playoff but a division title (remember they still had not yet played the Saints at that time as they still had 2 matchups remaining with them) to a complete afterthought in the playoff picture. He had 1 good season, and even with a pro-bowl quarterback (albeit a completely overrated one) they had never been a consistent presence in the NFC playoff picture like the Seahawks or Saints have or the Patriots or Steelers in the AFC.
Speaking of the Steelers I know it's not their MO to fire coaches as I believe they have only had 3 coaches since the late 70's, but the Steelers are a marquee franchise that should be competiting for Super Bowls most every season, and sorry Steeler fans but the facts are facts: with Tomlin this team has been a playoff underachiever year after year. I get it, they have had to run into the Patriots a lot, a lot of times in Foxborough, but if Tomlin doesn't have his annual 2 to 3 games a year where he completely %^&ks up, they probably play some of those games in Pittsburgh. Maybe it's still not enough, but at least you get a game or 2 at home instead of consistently traveling to Foxborough every year. After a while the Rooney Family won't settle for just mediocrity anymore (which is what Tomlin is), and if there's ever a year to change the culture in Pittsburgh and start changing mediocrity back to winning this is definitely the year with the Steelers falling from basically an insurmountable division lead at Thanksgiving to out of the playoff picture at Christmas to eliminated from the playoffs by New Years.
Vance Joseph just got canned! I'm not a Broncos fan but gotdamn that was overdue. He is a horrible head coach! Now the tough part is can the Broncos lure in a good coach?

I'll disagree with you about Rivera. He's won three division titles, has four playoff appearances, and has been to a Super Bowl. His area of expertise (defense) is ALWAYS good, though it has been better than we saw this year. Now, he can't miss the playoffs in back-to-back years, but for this year, I support keeping him. I think he's firmly in that second tier of good coaches in this league...

Completely agree about Tomlin. Time to let it go!

Current openings:

Cleveland
Green Bay
Tampa Bay
New York Jets
Denver
Miami
Cincinnati

I don't know how I feel about Gase being fired. He did a good job in a dysfunctional organization. I hope he lands in a better situation...

Let's praise whoever it is you praise that Marvin Lewis finally got the axe. That's about five years overdue, enjoy retirement, buddy!

Last edited by murksiderock; 12-31-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 09:16 AM

4,322 posts, read 2,260,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals) is expected to be fired.

In regards to front office moves, Carolina Panthers' general manager Marty Hurney is expected to be fired. Head coach Ron Rivera is returning.
Long overdue it was about time that he had to go

Old 12-31-2018, 09:33 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,126,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Tomorrow, Monday December 31 Is not just New Years Eve....It is BLACK MONDAY for NFL coaches. Some will go into 2019 unemployeed

According to USA today Here are the odds and likely candidates

Which NFL coach will be fired next? Here are the odds
Buffalo Bills: Sean McDermott (+2500) ...
New York Giants: Pat Shurmur (+1000) ...
Miami Dolphins: Adam Gase (+1000) ...
Jacksonville Jaguars: Doug Marrone (+800) ...
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Dirk Koetter (+700) ...
Denver Broncos: Vance Joseph (+700) ...
Baltimore Ravens: John Harbaugh (+500) ...
Arizona Cardinals: Steve Wilks (+450)

Steve Wilks was never a serious contender to replace Bruce Arians. I hope. At least I hope. He wasn't was he? The PESKY RED BIRDS would be best to offer the former Packers Coach $$$ To come in and work the team back to the top.

The Problem is, IF you can your coach, who do u hire instead? There are not that many good candidates around. Maybe promote from within?
It used to be that a team would give a first-year HC another year to try, try again.

However, in this case, I have to agree that Steve Wilks is not HC material. He is more of a Defensive Coordinator (Carolina Panthers). However, he always did have a decent poker-faced look about him...

I'm not sure who the Cards will be looking at next, but hopefully it will be an offensive-minded person, with
good ideas as to who should be his OC and DC as well. Byron Leftwich is a young man who gave OC a bloody go, but I'm not sure he's the guy. We'll all know more soon...

Old 12-31-2018, 09:33 AM

23,647 posts, read 33,445,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
How Marvin Lewis has lasted this long in Cincinnati is truly head scratching.

So now we have Cleveland, Green Bay, New York Jets and Tampa Bay all looking for head coaches.
Cincinnati’s owner is super cheap and satisfied with mediocre results. Perfect for keeping Lewis around.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:08 AM

544 posts, read 308,544 times
Looks like we're up to 8 teams officially now. NFL Head coaches fired in 2018, alphabetically:

Arizona Cardinals - Steve Wilks
Cincinnati Bengals - Marvin Lewis
Cleveland Browns - Hue Jackson
Denver Broncos - Vance Joseph
Green Bay Packers - Mike McCarthy
Miami Dolphins - Adam Gase
New York Jets - Todd Bowles
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dirk Koetter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or