U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 10:16 AM

12,586 posts, read 4,254,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Tomorrow, Monday December 31 Is not just New Years Eve....It is BLACK MONDAY for NFL coaches. Some will go into 2019 unemployeed

According to USA today Here are the odds and likely candidates

Which NFL coach will be fired next? Here are the odds
Buffalo Bills: Sean McDermott (+2500) ...
New York Giants: Pat Shurmur (+1000) ...
Miami Dolphins: Adam Gase (+1000) ...
Jacksonville Jaguars: Doug Marrone (+800) ...
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Dirk Koetter (+700) ...
Denver Broncos: Vance Joseph (+700) ...
Baltimore Ravens: John Harbaugh (+500) ...
Arizona Cardinals: Steve Wilks (+450)

According to the KingCat, Gase should go, and if MY FINZ lose to the Buffaloes, then he likely will. Probably be replaced by someone who will work for cheap, like Bobby Petrino.

Dirk Koetter should have gone last year. If he wins his last game at home against the Dirty Birds, he will probably stick around another year, and bring another losing season to the Bay. Of course, few people care. The LIGHTNING are poised to go the distance this year. That guy is a terrible head coach. ARRRRRRRR

Steve Wilks was never a serious contender to replace Bruce Arians. I hope. At least I hope. He wasn't was he? The PESKY RED BIRDS would be best to offer the former Packers Coach $$$ To come in and work the team back to the top.

The Problem is, IF you can your coach, who do u hire instead? There are not that many good candidates around. Maybe promote from within?

John Harbaugh Probably would not care if he got fired. He has a Super Bowl ring and can go anywhere. IF the Ravens make the playoffs, do not put any money on him.
Todd Bowles was the easiest call on the board. 4 years as a Jets fan watching this guy was long enough. Nice guy, but only one problem -- he couldn't coach.

Why in the world would the Ravens fire their coach? That one makes no sense to me and I say that even if they hadn't gotten into the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 10:41 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
They're not, he was going to be extended, whoever in the media did the list didn't do their homework.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:10 AM

9,433 posts, read 7,115,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Why in the world would the Ravens fire their coach? That one makes no sense to me and I say that even if they hadn't gotten into the playoffs.

If you were wanting to make a change, now would be the time to do it with a new QB taking over. I'd think there'd be more a chance of Harbaugh quitting than being fired, tho.

That team is going to look quite different next year. Hopefully, Jackson continues to grow.. But.. I tell you.. I question relying on him. Not to say they shouldn't move on from Flacco..

Old 12-31-2018, 11:16 AM

929 posts, read 297,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I want Gruden gone from Washington. and Allen. And Snyder.. Not getting the last one unless there's an act of God.

Blow it all up. Top to bottom. Keep Doug Williams. He's the only one who could stay and not tick me off.
That's the biggest mystery omission. Jay Gruden is terrible and I don't know how he hasn't been axed still in a league and in an era where the leash is short. And with an owner like Snyder, I'm even more shocked. Tomlin should too, but won't. That is of no surprise to me. But the Skins always hanging on to Gruden just flat-out befuddles me. As does UCLA ever hiring Steve Alford. But at least that one came to an end today as well.

Last edited by SonnyCrockett; 12-31-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 11:25 AM

Vance Joseph was an easy one. I know it was only two years, but in this case, it was a ridiculous hire by Elway to start with. Gase will quickly get hired as a team's OC, and in due time, probably will get offered another HC stint. What got him was his Belichickesque attempts to have any player off the street do it his way, talent level be dammed. The Jay Ajayi trade was completely dumb. The offense at times suddenly went thru stints where it was like watching a jv high school team and was an embarrassment on the NFL level. Then there were weeks the defense stunk. No identity ever as to who the Dolphins were. Not to mention, fall way behind and try to come back. Get way ahead, blow leads. Never knew what this team was. Ironically his last win as Dolphins coach was the crazy ending vs the Patriots. The other problem is that except the fluke playoff season two years ago, this franchise for a decade finishes with either six, seven, or eight wins. They never get a very advantageous draft position.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:41 PM

5,230 posts, read 3,134,638 times
Just thought I'd stick this article by Josh Weinfuss in here, since Steve Wilks has officially been pink-slipped.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:39 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,561,574 times
Mike Mayock draft guru guy is going to the Raiders to be GM, guess he knows Gruden doesn't mind the set up there.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:17 PM

4,891 posts, read 3,981,409 times
Well, Gase got the Axe from MY FINZ which would be a blessing except that short of coaxing Hairball away from his under performing job in Michigan, there are really no candidates that I would choose. Or more like no candidates that would WANT to work there. Keep in mind, the team has a long habit of hiring Newbies at all levels because those with experience do not want to work in that mess where the owner seems not to care anything about winning. In the NFL, finish last, lose 16 games and still make a profit, thanks to revenue sharing. No need to win, the return on investment is guaranteed. (Wish some of my investments had that)

Ross comes across as someone who not only does not care, but has no business in professional sports.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:17 AM

5,631 posts, read 4,230,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
That's the biggest mystery omission. Jay Gruden is terrible and I don't know how he hasn't been axed still in a league and in an era where the leash is short. And with an owner like Snyder, I'm even more shocked. Tomlin should too, but won't. That is of no surprise to me. But the Skins always hanging on to Gruden just flat-out befuddles me. As does UCLA ever hiring Steve Alford. But at least that one came to an end today as well.
I think Gruden gets a pass because he had the Redskins in 1st place at mid season and then lost their starting QB to injury, then lost their backup to injury... you can't win with a 3rd string QB or someone brought in off the street.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think Gruden gets a pass because he had the Redskins in 1st place at mid season and then lost their starting QB to injury, then lost their backup to injury... you can't win with a 3rd string QB or someone brought in off the street.
Let's face it: the NFC East was awful at the time. Philly's and Dallas's seasons in essence began about six weeks ago. This has more to do with his tenure than just this year. His teams are ill-prepared in big moments, such as the loss to the Giants in the final week a few years back that was very winnable and would have given the Redskins a playoff berth and division title. Stupid decisions in key moments of games made by the head coach- one of the classics for example, was the tie game vs Cinci in London a season ago. I'm not a Redskins fans and I still recognize guy what a joke this guy is. Don't know what it is about the last name "Gruden" that enables that namesake to get more nine lives than even Marvin Lewis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or