Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:56 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

We're on the home stretch: Just another week until the Denver Broncos and Carolina Panthers face off in Super Bowl 50 (or "L" if you like the Roman Numeral methodology). This is the Broncos 8th trip to the game and the Panthers 2nd. Not surprisingly the Panthers are heavily favored after a stellar season in which their offense led the league in scoring and their defense more than carried their weight en route to a 15-1 season. The Broncos offense struggled to adapt to a lot of transition, but their defense, despite moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and seeing a lot of overhaul of its own carried them to a 12-4 finish and an improbable #1 seed in the AFC.

As an avid Broncos fan I've had it over my head with all the analysis, side stories, prop bets, and irrelevant dialogues surrounding this game. So to take my mind off the hype I thought it would be fun to look at some Super Bowl trivia as we pass the time this week.

So here are some Super Bowl fun facts:

Of the 32 teams in the NFL, 28 have reached the Super Bowl at least once. The Lions, Texans, Browns, and Jaguars have yet to reach the game. Of the 28 teams who have reached the game at least once, 19 have won the game at least once. That means 9 teams have reached the game at least once and are winless.

Two teams, the Minnesota Vikings and Buffalo Bills, are 0-4 in the Super Bowl. The Vikings spread their losses out over the 70s and 80s. The Bills ripped the bandaid off with 4 straight losses in the early 90s. The Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles are the only other teams with no wins and multiple losses, both at 0-2.

Four teams have reached the Super Bowl 8 times: The Pittsburg Steelers (6-2), the Dallas Cowboys (5-3), the New England Patriots (4-4) and the Denver Broncos (2-5 and pending the results of SBL).

The Denver Broncos with 5 losses have the dubious honor of more Super Bowl losses than any other team. The Patriots, Vikings and Bills all have 4 losses. The Broncos also have the dubious honor of being on the wrong side of 2 out of 3 of the most lop-sided (by points) Super Bowls in history: a 55-10 loss to the 49ers and 43-8 loss to the Seahawks. The New England Patriots with a 46-10 loss to the Bears is the second worst.

The Baltimore Ravens are the only team with multiple Super Bowl wins and no losses at 2-0.

Twice the Super Bowl has been played between teams that were once division rivals. Both games involve AFC West teams and in both games the team currently residing in the NFC won the game. The more recent of the two was 48 between the Broncos and Seahawks. The other was 37 between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Oakland Raiders. In 1976 when the expansion Bucs and Seahawks entered the league, the Bucs played one season in the AFC West so that both teams would face every other NFL team within the first 2 years of play. Remember this because as far as NFL trivia goes it's gold!

Super Bowl I, a Packers win over the Chiefs by a count of 35-10, was a near afterthought in its day. Trumpeter Al Hirt played the halftime show.

Much discussion has been given to QBs who start in the Super Bowl. Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw are 4-0 in Super Bowl starts. Tom Brady is 4-2.

Speaking of QBs making Super Bowl starts, only three have started the Super Bowl for 2 different teams: Craig Morton (0-1 with the Cowboys, 0-1 with the Broncos), Kurt Warner (1-1 with the Rams, 0-1 with the Cardinals) and Peyton Manning (1-1 with the Colts, 0-1 with the Broncos).

Peyton Manning is the only QB to start multiple Super Bowls with two teams. He has reached the Super Bowl under 4 different head coaches and offensive coordinators, and has a chance to be the only QB to earn a Super Bowl win with two different teams.

There's a lot more, but that's a start. Let's hear your fun facts. HH, this thread is right in your wheel house. I know you've got some good Super Bowl trivia for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Thanks, a great read! In the internet age, more emphasis is placed on SB wins by younger fans but in reality getting there is not as easy as it seems. There are many great players and teams that have never won.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 AM

211 posts, read 115,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Thanks, a great read! In the internet age, more emphasis is placed on SB wins by younger fans but in reality getting there is not as easy as it seems. There are many great players and teams that have never won.
On Susan's note:

Tarkenton never won (believe he went to 2)
Marino was only in one, and lost
Fouts never made a SB
Kelly went to 4, never won
Brees has only been in one

A lot of arguments when determining how great a QB is seems to focus on "rings", yet a SB victory is probably the ultimate TEAM achievement....I have heard clueless fans argue that Eli is better than Peyton because Eli has 2 rings and Peyton has one ....that is like saying Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson are better than Dan Marino or Dan Fouts because Dilfer/Johnson have rings and Marino/Fouts do not

Last edited by Southeast Hillbilly; 02-01-2016 at 06:38 AM..

Old 02-01-2016, 07:23 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Here's a stat about betting on the big game.

Super Bowl 50 to draw an estimated $4.2 billion in bets -- most of them illegal - LA Times

SuperBowl 50 to take in about 4.2 BILLION in bets (most of them illegal)...

Yes, that is Billion with a "B"

Old 02-01-2016, 12:22 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Long Long ago, i bought a small paper back book that contained a short story about all the Super Bowls.. 10 at the time and I must have read that book cover to cover a hundred times. Sometime around Super Bowl XX, i lost the drive to stay on top of all the ins and outs of the Super Bowl.

I will note a few mistakes so far.
The Vikings 4 Super Bowls occurred in the 60s and 70s, not 80s... plus Tarkenton was apart of 3 of those losses. SB 8,9 and 11.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:28 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

The Vikings 4 Super Bowls occurred in the 60s and 70s, not 80s... plus Tarkenton was apart of 3 of those losses. SB 8,9 and 11.
And Pittsburgh has an h.

Thanks for those fun facts!

Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Long Long ago, i bought a small paper back book that contained a short story about all the Super Bowls.. 10 at the time and I must have read that book cover to cover a hundred times. Sometime around Super Bowl XX, i lost the drive to stay on top of all the ins and outs of the Super Bowl.

Sorry, that's an inexcusable mistake. I am well aware it was the 60s and 70s I just got a little carried away there. To be fair, I did all this on my iPhone. I know that's a bit of a cop out but it's true. Oh, and that's the excuse I'm running with regarding the spelling of Pittsburgh too!

Old 02-01-2016, 02:21 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Nice list there iknowftbll.

Here's one, not really a fact, but an interesting observation. In the last 35-40 years at least, a team has not played the Super Bowl in their home stadium. In fact, maybe it's never happened? I'm not sure.

The closest thing to it came in '83 or '84 when the 49ers played the Dolphins at Stanford Stadium. So it was a virtual home game for the Niners. But just think about all those years that Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Arizona have hosted, and the hometown team has not been good enough to make the Big Game. Not only that, I can't even recall a situation where a team was in the Conference Championship game the year that their City hosted the Super Bowl.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:35 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Nice list there iknowftbll.

Here's one, not really a fact, but an interesting observation. In the last 35-40 years at least, a team has not played the Super Bowl in their home stadium. In fact, maybe it's never happened? I'm not sure.

The closest thing to it came in '83 or '84 when the 49ers played the Dolphins at Stanford Stadium. So it was a virtual home game for the Niners. But just think about all those years that Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Arizona have hosted, and the hometown team has not been good enough to make the Big Game. Not only that, I can't even recall a situation where a team was in the Conference Championship game the year that their City hosted the Super Bowl.
In addition to the 49ers playing Super Bowl XIX (19) after the 1984 just down the road at Stanford Stadium (which is closer to the Candlestick Park site than the 49ers' current Levi's Stadium is), after the 1979 season the Los Angeles Rams played in Super Bowl XIV (14) at the Rose Bowl, just a few miles from their home field at the Los Angeles Coliseum. (Ironically, the Rams moved a few miles further south, to Anaheim, prior to the 1980 season.)

No team has ever played a Super Bowl in their home stadium.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:38 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Vikings fans think their team will be the first to put an end to that record!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football