U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:12 AM

52,095 posts, read 41,903,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriman80 View Post
I know the biggest NFL fan ever, and now he finally admits college is better.

Goodell has destroyed it
I still don't care for college because it's a dirty dirty product with cheating permeating almost every top program either in recruitment, fake classes or a host of other ways.

In terms of gross cheating, the only sports I can think of that are comparable would probably be professional cycling and international track & field.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:23 AM

10,850 posts, read 19,464,390 times
College sports in general are boring. Unless you are still in college, I don't see the point in following college sports.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:02 PM

11,727 posts, read 11,567,118 times
The NFL is still popular apparently:

Although NFLís TV ratings havenít rebounded to 2015 levels, widespread talk that the league was spiraling downward no longer appears to be the case. The NFL remains the most popular programming on American television, and it was more popular this season than last season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dcast-windows/

Old 01-02-2019, 03:55 PM

2,776 posts, read 2,379,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
People eat just peanut butter sandwiches? Is it the last thing they eat before they choke and die?
Back to the important topic. My little one loves peanut butter between a folded tortilla. No jelly or honey. It's actually pretty good. He also loves peanut butter alone on a saltine cracker, which is also good.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:36 PM

709 posts, read 540,604 times
NFL is a faster game, teams have more time to develop talent, there is more parity, and the referees are better (really). There are only 4 teams that have not been to the Super Bowl, and of those the Detroit Lions did win multiple championships in the 1950s. However, the NFL cannot expand past 32 teams or championship droughts of 50-100 years will become commonplace.

There is no set criteria for entering the college playoff, and in the last few years a conference champion of the former Big 10 was bypassed for a team that finished lower in the same conference. What is good about college is more legitimate rivalries, while in the NFL there is only Bears-Packers and Steelers-Browns. For college in-state rivalries are built into the environment, but overall, the NFL is much better to watch.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:25 PM

298 posts, read 189,537 times
The NFL is far more entertaining for someone like me who is not a serious sports fan. College games are pretty boring. They look like children compared to the pros. There are also too many colleges and conferences and bowl games to keep track of.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:33 AM

10,489 posts, read 5,955,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The NBA has always been the major league that has lacked parity compared to the others. What was the point of being an NBA fan in the 2000s if you weren't a Spurs or Lakers fan (those teams won 7/10 championships in that decade). Were you saying the champion was predetermined then?

Or what about the 90s when the Bulls won 6 in 8 years? Was there a point in being a fan of any other team? Was the champion predetermined? Or what about the 80s when the Lakers and Celtics won 8 of the 10 championships that decade?

The casual NBA observer loves to act like one or two teams dominating the sport is new. This is the story of the NBA from its origination. There is always one or two teams that go on these dynastic tears. The NBA's fatal flaw, among only a few that it even has, is that it has struggled to create parity throughout its entire existence. It is a player oriented league and everything is about market size, in that light much like MLB...

I'm defending the NBA here, but I don't think it's a better product than the NFL. I just don't like when people talk about the current era of 1-2 team dominance, but many of those same people loved the handful of teams repeatedly dominating the league in decades past. Revisionist history and/or embarrassingly short memories, because one doesn't have to look far into the past to see more of the same. The Golden State Warriors didn't reinvent the wheel here...

The irony is that this year, nearly halfway through the season, has shown more parity than the NBA has had in a long, long time. The Top 5 seeds in the East are only separated by 5.5 games, and the Top 8 seeds in the West are only separated by 4.5 games. There is a ton of parity through the first half of the season. Even the assumed "best teams" are alternately losing games to other teams, it's becoming "Any Given Night". We'll see if this parity holds for the duration of the year...
When did I ever say the NBA was great in the 90's when the champion was also pre-determined? At least in the 80's there was a question of which of the two would win it and it made for at least a small amount of drama. But college football and the NBA struggle with the same problem, I just don't know how anyone can say knowing who will win the championship before the season starts is a good thing.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 AM

10,715 posts, read 11,119,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
NFL is a faster game, teams have more time to develop talent, there is more parity, and the referees are better (really).

Now there is a scary thought!

NFL referees are truly awful. It seems like they are a little worse every year. I think it's high time the NFL hire these guys full time and hold them accountable for inadequate performances that ruin the product. That is a whole separate discussion perhaps for the off season though. Without question there will be a referee decision (or no-decision) in the coming playoffs that will be extremely controversial and will maybe influence an outcome far more than an officiating crew should. It'll be interesting to discuss how to fix officiating in the aftermath of that.

With that said, I actually agree: NFL referees are better than NCAA referees. Incomprehensible as that may sound, it's true.

Quote:
There are only 4 teams that have not been to the Super Bowl, and of those the Detroit Lions did win multiple championships in the 1950s. However, the NFL cannot expand past 32 teams or championship droughts of 50-100 years will become commonplace.

The league is perfectly balanced right now. I really enjoy the symmetry and scheduling methodology. The NFL playoffs are as good as a playoff system can possibly get. As you noted, only 4 teams have not reached the Super Bowl and two of them have only been around for less than 25 years. What I really enjoy is the NFL's system of making or not making the playoffs. There is no room for debate. Seems like every year when the college season has ended we get into the debate of "should this team lay claim to a co-championship" debate about some team that had a stellar record but didn't get selected by a committee due to subjective measures that are a little different every year (based on the personalities in the committee).

In the NFL there is no room for debate. If there's one playoff spot left and two teams are 9-7 the tie breaker rules are the same every year. If the team that benefits from the tie breakers goes on to win the Super Bowl there is no "well we should be considered co-champions" from the 9-7 team that didn't make the playoffs. Or from the 13-3 team the 9-7 team beat along the way. It's one of the things I love the most about the NFL playoffs: get in and literally anything is possible.

Quote:
There is no set criteria for entering the college playoff, and in the last few years a conference champion of the former Big 10 was bypassed for a team that finished lower in the same conference. What is good about college is more legitimate rivalries, while in the NFL there is only Bears-Packers and Steelers-Browns. For college in-state rivalries are built into the environment, but overall, the NFL is much better to watch.

I consider this to be problematic as well. In the NFL the wild card team concept works because the playoffs are perfect with 12 teams. In the NCAA "playoff" there are only 4 teams selected. Failure to win a conference should be an automatic disqualifier.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:36 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,138,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Now there is a scary thought!

NFL referees are truly awful. It seems like they are a little worse every year. I think it's high time the NFL hire these guys full time and hold them accountable for inadequate performances that ruin the product. That is a whole separate discussion perhaps for the off season though. Without question there will be a referee decision (or no-decision) in the coming playoffs that will be extremely controversial and will maybe influence an outcome far more than an officiating crew should. It'll be interesting to discuss how to fix officiating in the aftermath of that.

With that said, I actually agree: NFL referees are better than NCAA referees. Incomprehensible as that may sound, it's true.

The league is perfectly balanced right now. I really enjoy the symmetry and scheduling methodology. The NFL playoffs are as good as a playoff system can possibly get. As you noted, only 4 teams have not reached the Super Bowl and two of them have only been around for less than 25 years. What I really enjoy is the NFL's system of making or not making the playoffs. There is no room for debate. Seems like every year when the college season has ended we get into the debate of "should this team lay claim to a co-championship" debate about some team that had a stellar record but didn't get selected by a committee due to subjective measures that are a little different every year (based on the personalities in the committee).

In the NFL there is no room for debate. If there's one playoff spot left and two teams are 9-7 the tie breaker rules are the same every year. If the team that benefits from the tie breakers goes on to win the Super Bowl there is no "well we should be considered co-champions" from the 9-7 team that didn't make the playoffs. Or from the 13-3 team the 9-7 team beat along the way. It's one of the things I love the most about the NFL playoffs: get in and literally anything is possible.

I consider this to be problematic as well. In the NFL the wild card team concept works because the playoffs are perfect with 12 teams. In the NCAA "playoff" there are only 4 teams selected. Failure to win a conference should be an automatic disqualifier.
Well written, Mr Football.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 AM

21,389 posts, read 21,954,803 times
drive-by OP...?

wow, so surprised
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or