U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 08:36 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,548,322 times

Advertisements

Most posts are in Politics and Other Controversies!

Old 01-03-2019, 09:01 AM

4,211 posts, read 2,830,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Now there is a scary thought!

NFL referees are truly awful. It seems like they are a little worse every year. I think it's high time the NFL hire these guys full time and hold them accountable for inadequate performances that ruin the product. That is a whole separate discussion perhaps for the off season though. Without question there will be a referee decision (or no-decision) in the coming playoffs that will be extremely controversial and will maybe influence an outcome far more than an officiating crew should. It'll be interesting to discuss how to fix officiating in the aftermath of that.

With that said, I actually agree: NFL referees are better than NCAA referees. Incomprehensible as that may sound, it's true.

The league is perfectly balanced right now. I really enjoy the symmetry and scheduling methodology. The NFL playoffs are as good as a playoff system can possibly get. As you noted, only 4 teams have not reached the Super Bowl and two of them have only been around for less than 25 years. What I really enjoy is the NFL's system of making or not making the playoffs. There is no room for debate. Seems like every year when the college season has ended we get into the debate of "should this team lay claim to a co-championship" debate about some team that had a stellar record but didn't get selected by a committee due to subjective measures that are a little different every year (based on the personalities in the committee).

In the NFL there is no room for debate. If there's one playoff spot left and two teams are 9-7 the tie breaker rules are the same every year. If the team that benefits from the tie breakers goes on to win the Super Bowl there is no "well we should be considered co-champions" from the 9-7 team that didn't make the playoffs. Or from the 13-3 team the 9-7 team beat along the way. It's one of the things I love the most about the NFL playoffs: get in and literally anything is possible.

I consider this to be problematic as well. In the NFL the wild card team concept works because the playoffs are perfect with 12 teams. In the NCAA "playoff" there are only 4 teams selected. Failure to win a conference should be an automatic disqualifier.
I agree with all of this, especially the last paragraph...

The playoff would do well to draw from the NFL and admit 6 playoff teams. Everybody who won a Power 5 conference, and the best record from a Group of 5 school. Award a bye to the top 2 seeds in the final regular season rankings...

I understand most college people wouldn't like this but it eliminates grey area and is consistent. I don't give a damn what your record is, you don't win your conference, you're out. And it's time to start allowing these schools from weaker conferences have a shot to play for a championship. The highest ranked Group of 5 conference champion gets in...

You seed according to final ranking, and you don't necessarily have to put the top 6 ranked teams in. If someone wins their conference but lost two games and has a final ranking of 8, they still get in, they won the conference. This would force independents like Notre Dame to align with a conference. So assuming ND joined the ACC where it is in basketball, this would have been my playoff this year (ND would have lost to Clemson in the ACC championship):

(1) Alabama, bye week
(2) Clemson, bye week

(6)Washington vs (3)Oklahoma
(5)UCF vs (4) Ohio State

UCF and UW finished 8-9 in the final rankings, but as the highest G5 school and the Pac-10 champion, they get a shot in the tournament...

Also, I hate how the college seasons have added more games. Cap regular seasons at 11 games period, 12 if you play in your conference championship. It's getting ridiculous, these guys are playing an NFL schedule. The most games anyone would play is 15, if they win their conference championship game, and have to play the first weekend on to the National Championship...

It isnt perfect but I doubt my idea is worse than what is already established...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
When did I ever say the NBA was great in the 90's when the champion was also pre-determined? At least in the 80's there was a question of which of the two would win it and it made for at least a small amount of drama. But college football and the NBA struggle with the same problem, I just don't know how anyone can say knowing who will win the championship before the season starts is a good thing.
NCAAF yes, NBA no. I don't think the NBA champion is predetermined. I just think the nature of the sport, where individualism and market size is celebrated, lend to the imbalance of "superteam" domination. Because of that, we see 1-2 teams dominate the league more than any other sport...

The 80s was no different than any other NBA era. Every year you knew it was Lakers or Celtics. People have biases why they prefer a particular era but it was no different then, Lakers, Celtics, repeat...

Old 01-04-2019, 07:14 AM

51,931 posts, read 41,798,494 times
With regards to basketball, there is no comparison between the NBA and College.

The playoffs alone are best of 7 on one hand instead of one game takes all brackets.

That alone ensures that upsets are very very rare.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 PM

2,275 posts, read 3,171,213 times
In other news, Alabama and Clemson are in the finals (again). Who didn't see that coming?

And people complain about parity in the NFL... .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or