Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:53 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,932,271 times

Advertisements

It's Monday after the Chiefs AFC Championship Game loss to the New England Patriots. I'm listening the Mad Dog Radio on Sirius. Thus far Reid has fared well but received some criticism. One gripe people have is Reids's clock management. Some have criticized him for scoring too soon (mentioned in threads here) and he probably should have called a timeout to give his defense a breather as the Patriots were marching direct to the end zone.

Andy Reid has been dogged by clock management issues his entire career. He's not alone but it's a hallmark criticism second only to not being able to win big games. Why does this always seem to be an issue for Reid? Is this a legitimate criticism or overblown and something most coaches deal with? When history keeps repeating over and over I tend to believe there's something to be learned and adjustments are to be made.

Any theories as to why this is an aspect of coaching that Reid appears to struggle with year after year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 03:38 PM

7,216 posts, read 11,891,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's Monday after the Chiefs AFC Championship Game loss to the New England Patriots. I'm listening the Mad Dog Radio on Sirius. Thus far Reid has fared well but received some criticism. One gripe people have is Reids's clock management. Some have criticized him for scoring too soon (mentioned in threads here) and he probably should have called a timeout to give his defense a breather as the Patriots were marching direct to the end zone.

Andy Reid has been dogged by clock management issues his entire career. He's not alone but it's a hallmark criticism second only to not being able to win big games. Why does this always seem to be an issue for Reid? Is this a legitimate criticism or overblown and something most coaches deal with? When history keeps repeating over and over I tend to believe there's something to be learned and adjustments are to be made.

Any theories as to why this is an aspect of coaching that Reid appears to struggle with year after year?

I have no idea why after all these years he cannot figure it out. As an Eagles fan, reliving some of Andy's time management blunders is like a recurring nightmare. Andy is a great coach and players love him and want to play for him. The time management issues are pretty much the reason he has never won the big game IMO. He's had the same issues in regular season games here and there, but they seem to be a constant in the post season with him.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM

16,135 posts, read 10,274,529 times
Oh there is no doubt he has had a terrible history of clock management. And like everyone else I was hoping they would not score too quickly. But that wasn't on Andy at the end of the game. They ran the clock all the way down before snapping the ball and scored a TD. What exactly was he supposed to do, take a knee, burn some clock and HOPE they still score? I mean it's not like the game was tied, they were losing and the first order of business was to get in the end zone..

Old 01-21-2019, 05:29 PM

34,134 posts, read 18,398,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I have no idea why after all these years he cannot figure it out. As an Eagles fan, reliving some of Andy's time management blunders is like a recurring nightmare. Andy is a great coach and players love him and want to play for him. The time management issues are pretty much the reason he has never won the big game IMO. He's had the same issues in regular season games here and there, but they seem to be a constant in the post season with him.
Yeah, we had to endure him for what 13 years in Philly. He did have some good season, and took the Eagles to the Super Bowl, and LOST. In general he was more positive than negative except for the way he treated the Media, and thus indirectly the fans. He was very arrogant, and as you stated his clock management has always been terrible.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:40 PM

7,216 posts, read 11,891,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yeah, we had to endure him for what 13 years in Philly. He did have some good season, and took the Eagles to the Super Bowl, and LOST. In general he was more positive than negative except for the way he treated the Media, and thus indirectly the fans. He was very arrogant, and as you stated his clock management has always been terrible.

14 years.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:15 AM

16,135 posts, read 10,274,529 times
Reid was under appreciated in Philly IMO. He took over a 3-13 team and had them at 11-5 by his second season. While he never got over the hump he had them in contention almost every year he was there.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 22 days ago)

5,774 posts, read 5,537,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh there is no doubt he has had a terrible history of clock management. And like everyone else I was hoping they would not score too quickly. But that wasn't on Andy at the end of the game. They ran the clock all the way down before snapping the ball and scored a TD. What exactly was he supposed to do, take a knee, burn some clock and HOPE they still score? I mean it's not like the game was tied, they were losing and the first order of business was to get in the end zone..
He opted to kick the tying field goal on 2nd down, from the 16, with 11 seconds left. He played not to lose. They had enough time to run one play, maybe two, and take shots at the endzone. No timeouts at that point, but you scheme it for direct shots in the endzone...

Obviously could have been picked or some other disaster, but at least you're not playing not to lose. You're playing to win. The Chiefs had the momentum and had outscored the Patriots 28-17 in the second half. You're at home. You're well within scoring position. If you have an incomplete on 2nd down, depending on if there's time for another play, then you kick the field goal...

But kicking the field goal on 2nd down with 11 seconds left from the 16 sounds like timid coaching to me, not trusting an offense that was the best in The League this year and was having it's way with NE in the 2nd half...

So now Reid is 1-5 in the conference championship game and for all of his greatness, clock mismanagement and the propensity to face plant in the biggest games are the hallmarks of his career...

Old 01-22-2019, 03:43 AM

34,134 posts, read 18,398,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
So now Reid is 1-5 in the conference championship game and for all of his greatness, clock mismanagement and the propensity to face plant in the biggest games are the hallmarks of his career...
Yep. That is Reid in a nutshell.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,939,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Reid was under appreciated in Philly IMO. He took over a 3-13 team and had them at 11-5 by his second season. While he never got over the hump he had them in contention almost every year he was there.
I don't know if he's under appreciated in Kansas City but they're definitely frustrated with the lack of post season success. Reid took over a 2-14 Chiefs team and had them at 11-5 in year one. They've made the playoffs 5 of 6 years since his arrival. Compare that to the 6 years before he arrived, when they made the playoffs 1 of 6 seasons. It's undeniable Reid has turned the team around and transformed them into a perennial playoff contender. But they're not a legitimate Super Bowl contender and a lot of that is on Reid and his penchant for head scratching calls and clock management from time to time.

Still, despite leaving the Pats plenty of time to score, there are two major factors that have me wondering if Reid is drawing more criticism than he deserves this time around. First, the Chiefs defense had a game sealing play stricken from the record by the simplest of pre-snap penalties. (I think it was Sorenson who made the pick. Can you imagine catching the game winning INT and thinking "we're going to the Super Bowl!" only to have it taken off the books by an easily avoided penalty by someone who should definitely know better?) Secondly, the Patriots proved to leave too much time on the clock themselves: 39 seconds was all the Chiefs needed to drive into chip shot FG range and tie the game, sending it to OT. Fortunately for the Pats, their offense took care of business in the OT period and the Chiefs offense won't get another snap until the 2019 season begins.

Reid's history will open him up for more speculation, but I think this is just an example of the better team coming out on top. Kansas City is a team that doesn't have a lot of post season success and a big part of that is they have historically lacked a consistent post season presence. For example, they scattered 4 playoff appearances over 17 seasons prior to Reid's arrival and each of them were one-n-dones. As long as Reid has this offense in place you can probably pencil the Chiefs in for 10-11 wins every season. Give them a halfway decent defense and you may see them add to those totals and maybe even pick up some post season wins. But even if they continue on their current course, I don't expect Reid to be on the hot seat in Kansas City in the next few seasons, even if they continue to lose playoff games. He's been the best thing to happen to that franchise in decades and his margin for error is pretty large.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:41 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,148,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't know if he's under appreciated in Kansas City but they're definitely frustrated with the lack of post season success. Reid took over a 2-14 Chiefs team and had them at 11-5 in year one. They've made the playoffs 5 of 6 years since his arrival. Compare that to the 6 years before he arrived, when they made the playoffs 1 of 6 seasons. It's undeniable Reid has turned the team around and transformed them into a perennial playoff contender. But they're not a legitimate Super Bowl contender and a lot of that is on Reid and his penchant for head scratching calls and clock management from time to time.

Still, despite leaving the Pats plenty of time to score, there are two major factors that have me wondering if Reid is drawing more criticism than he deserves this time around. First, the Chiefs defense had a game sealing play stricken from the record by the simplest of pre-snap penalties. (I think it was Sorenson who made the pick. Can you imagine catching the game winning INT and thinking "we're going to the Super Bowl!" only to have it taken off the books by an easily avoided penalty by someone who should definitely know better?) Secondly, the Patriots proved to leave too much time on the clock themselves: 39 seconds was all the Chiefs needed to drive into chip shot FG range and tie the game, sending it to OT. Fortunately for the Pats, their offense took care of business in the OT period and the Chiefs offense won't get another snap until the 2019 season begins.

Reid's history will open him up for more speculation, but I think this is just an example of the better team coming out on top. Kansas City is a team that doesn't have a lot of post season success and a big part of that is they have historically lacked a consistent post season presence. For example, they scattered 4 playoff appearances over 17 seasons prior to Reid's arrival and each of them were one-n-dones. As long as Reid has this offense in place you can probably pencil the Chiefs in for 10-11 wins every season. Give them a halfway decent defense and you may see them add to those totals and maybe even pick up some post season wins. But even if they continue on their current course, I don't expect Reid to be on the hot seat in Kansas City in the next few seasons, even if they continue to lose playoff games. He's been the best thing to happen to that franchise in decades and his margin for error is pretty large.
Yep. Best thing we’ve had since Marty Scottenheimer. Marty Scottenheimer, Joe Montana and Marcus Allen. Those were great times in Kansas City, Super Bowl or not!

It’s easy to second guess. I have no criticism of Reid, Mahomes or anyone else. Not even Dee Ford. If not for the off-sides, we would have won. We were that close. But it happened and there’s nothing we can do about it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football