U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM

21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Nah, your "whataboutism" is just a convenient way of trying to avoid having an objective conversation on the topic. No different than the cowards that use "haters gonna hate" so they don't have to address an opposing viewpoint. Not to mention, anyone can use analytics (which is consistently done in sports now to determine outcomes) to calculate the points left off the board for the Rams with all of the calls the ref blew for them. The fact that you don't want to address the blatant missed calls against the Rams after visual evidence to the contrary just shows you're not interested in a reasoned debate on the topic. Unlike you, I'm not deflecting from any of the calls (your statement is factually inaccurate). I'm saying there were a variety of missed calls. Why that's so hard for you to understand is beyond me. Admittedly, I think you do understand it and just find it convenient to be obtuse.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:27 AM

2,013 posts, read 2,014,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
Blatant interference was not called by the refs. Would have secured game winning field goal by the Saints.
Yup, woulda, coulda, shoulda, but the play wasn't called. It did prevent the Saints from winning right there, but it didn't make them lose the game right there, they did that on their own!!

Peyton should've been coaching his team with proper play calling. For instance running on those two plays that they had incomplete passes on, thus stopping the clock and letting the Rams save their timeouts.

Plus they had the ball first in the OT, and the Rams got the turnover due to their play!! By hitting Drew Brees as he threw the ball to get the interception to allow the Rams to kick the winning field goal.

The Rams had no calls on two face masking penalties, one on Goff and another on Brandin Cooks that weren't called. Who knows what might have happened if they get those calls, but the Rams continued playing.

I agree the no call was wrong, but the Saints only have themselves to blame for the loss.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 AM

962 posts, read 385,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Yup, woulda, coulda, shoulda, but the play wasn't called. It did prevent the Saints from winning right there, but it didn't make them lose the game right there, they did that on their own!!

Peyton should've been coaching his team with proper play calling. For instance running on those two plays that they had incomplete passes on, thus stopping the clock and letting the Rams save their timeouts.

Plus they had the ball first in the OT, and the Rams got the turnover due to their play!! By hitting Drew Brees as he threw the ball to get the interception to allow the Rams to kick the winning field goal.

The Rams had no calls on two face masking penalties, one on Goff and another on Brandin Cooks that weren't called. Who knows what might have happened if they get those calls, but the Rams continued playing.

I agree the no call was wrong, but the Saints only have themselves to blame for the loss.
It's much easier to play the "victim" card.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:49 AM

3,153 posts, read 1,803,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
At least the league acknowledged that the officiating crew blew it.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orlean...ton-128095284/
Actually, the league has not spoken about it publicly. Sean Payton, the guy who had to sit out an entire season for cheating, said they called him.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 AM

4,325 posts, read 2,262,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Actually, the league has not spoken about it publicly. Sean Payton, the guy who had to sit out an entire season for cheating, said they called him.
True but at least the league knew that the officials blew it

Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 AM

21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
that actually was me that called him, I told him we'd also be changing the rule and sending him a lifetime supply of kleenex

Old 01-22-2019, 09:03 AM

51,995 posts, read 41,835,728 times
I didn't care who won that game. No allegiance at all, no wagers, nothing.

That being said, we all acknowledge, unless you're Goff's mom or married to the referee in question, that it was a pretty horrible no-call.

So, here we have people saying stuff like "Well that call was wrong and would have won the game right there.....but they have only themselves to blame for losing."

There is no logic flow to that line of thinking.

Calls get missed, we all understand that is part of the game. Not everything is reviewable, things happen fast and you don't always have the right angles to see.

That being said, you have to separate every little holding etc. that potentially COULD have been called from the really egregious ball in the air, all eyes on the play type stuff that resulted in that critical no call.

Regardless, this weekends bad refereeing is not want the NFL wanted people talking about and there is a big problem right there if people start feeling that perhaps everything is not on the up and up. (I don't agree with that personally)

Last edited by Mathguy; 01-22-2019 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM

3,153 posts, read 1,803,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
True but at least the league knew that the officials blew it
Ray Charles could see it was a bad call.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 AM

962 posts, read 385,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Regardless, this weekends bad refereeing is not want the NFL wanted people talking about and there is a big problem right there if people start feeling that perhaps everything is not on the up and up. (I don't agree with that personally)
The NFL will be fine. I can't tell you how many times I've either heard people personally or on the internet say they would never watch another game because of "x" (you fill in the blank...a bad call, the national anthem protests, etc.). And yet the league continues to be profitable. The naysayers will point to a decline in ratings. But the fact of the matter is, all TV ratings are down (the NFL is proportionately in range with this). It is still the most popular of American sports and I don't see baseball or the NBA overtaking that any time soon.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM

1,214 posts, read 439,209 times
It was a bad no-call... among hundreds of other in the course of the season.
If the Saints played better BEFORE this happened, it would not have mattered s much!
I.E. ALL the plays in the game matter.. not just this one.

It's a GAME.
Get over it.
And count your blessings that you're not a Giants fan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or