U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2019, 11:03 AM
 
1,239 posts, read 612,457 times
Reputation: 1308

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
The NFL will be fine. I can't tell you how many times I've either heard people personally or on the internet say they would never watch another game because of "x" (you fill in the blank...a bad call, the national anthem protests, etc.). And yet the league continues to be profitable. The naysayers will point to a decline in ratings. But the fact of the matter is, all TV ratings are down (the NFL is proportionately in range with this). It is still the most popular of American sports and I don't see baseball or the NBA overtaking that any time soon.

Well of course it will, they market to the under 30 crew over and over.
These are the ones who have never seen how football was played 20 years ago.
And therefore don't care when legal hits below the head to separate receiver from ball are called as personal fouls.
Ratings are up due to less players being arrested, and league efforts to remove politics from the game.
At least they got this right, but the game itself has become soft.
As good as Brady is, he'd have long retired had rules not been created to promote his longevity.

 
Old 01-22-2019, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,756 posts, read 4,238,850 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
Blatant interference was not called by the refs. Would have secured game winning field goal by the Saints.
Yep. Just no debating it. It was a bad no-call. Unfortunately, it decided the outcome of the game.
 
Old 01-22-2019, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,263,309 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Well of course it will, they market to the under 30 crew over and over.
These are the ones who have never seen how football was played 20 years ago.
And therefore don't care when legal hits below the head to separate receiver from ball are called as personal fouls.
Ratings are up due to less players being arrested, and league efforts to remove politics from the game.
At least they got this right, but the game itself has become soft.
As good as Brady is, he'd have long retired had rules not been created to promote his longevity.
football and basketball has seen a lot of athletes arrested, especially college football.
 
Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,590 posts, read 22,440,666 times
Reputation: 13879
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post


The problem with this post and a myriad of others of the people complaining about the "no-call" is they simply have blinders on and refuse to recognize that there was over 60 minutes of other things that happened in that game. You can cherry pick the one play all you want, but to ignore everything else that went on just shows your lack of objectivity and your intellectual rigidity (what else can you say about people that ignore everything else that's been said). There were countless blown opportunities for the Saints, where they had to settle for field goals because the Rams defense stopped them (Saints need to take some personal responsibility for that). A whistle was being blown all throughout the game when the Rams had possession of the ball just prior to snapping (where was the Saints security staff?). You honestly don't think that has an impact?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...nnoys-twitter/

The officials blew a call on the Rams drive prior to the helmet-to-helmet that would have put the Rams in a pretty good position to score a touchdown (but yes, keep ignoring that). Both Aikman and Buck said it as they showed the reply on an obvious missed call for a face mask (100% against the rules!). The impact to the game is no different than what happened to the Saints. That would have required the Saints to score a touchdown to tie the game up.

The Saints could have stopped the Rams on their final drive and prevented them from scoring a field goal (Saints need to take some personal responsibility for that).

The Saints win the coin toss in OT and Brees proceeds to throw an interception (Saints need to take some personal responsibility for that).

But you folks can just continue to ignore all these inconvenient details. In the end, the Rams are in the Superbowl and the Saints organization will be watching the game on TV, having an ice cream cone. And spare me the immature "you must be a Rams fan" BS. I'm a football fan that understands that these things happen so I don't sit around and whine about it. Get over it because all your complaining in the world isn't going to change the scoreboard and the result. The heroes of this game was an awesome kicker who nailed not one, but two clutch field goals, a defense that held one of the most prolific scoring teams in the NFL in check, and a coach and a QB that held their emotions in check (seriously, is Sean Payton not the biggest whiner you've ever seen).






The Saints lost. Deal with it.
Wow! Guess I'm gonna head on over to the Butthurt bar Sunday after next and buy Drew Brees some milk and a cookie.

"We found out about bounty-gate years after" my hairy ass. I watched it happen live.
 
Old 01-22-2019, 09:12 PM
Status: "Phillies baseball is MLB dysentery." (set 2 days ago)
 
1,238 posts, read 584,349 times
Reputation: 1223
Now these Saints fans want to sue the League. Time to move on N.O.
 
Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 PM
 
1,427 posts, read 2,542,645 times
Reputation: 2027
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Now these Saints fans want to sue the League. Time to move on N.O.
While the lawsuit is stupid, it is not time to move on. It's time to hold the refs accountable. Officiating has been garbage all season. The refs blowing a call on such a big stage should help bring some visibility to the problem. NFL will try and sweep this under the rug. Hopefully teams will push the issue this off season.
 
Old 01-22-2019, 10:18 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,590 posts, read 22,440,666 times
Reputation: 13879
Reffing Unbelievable!

Refs Bleaux it!

We wuz Robbed!

Le Waa!
 
Old 01-23-2019, 03:18 AM
 
962 posts, read 385,916 times
Reputation: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
While the lawsuit is stupid, it is not time to move on. It's time to hold the refs accountable. Officiating has been garbage all season. The refs blowing a call on such a big stage should help bring some visibility to the problem. NFL will try and sweep this under the rug. Hopefully teams will push the issue this off season.
Uh, no. It actually is time to move on despite the fact that the Saints fans are acting like a bunch of petulant children. They may go down as the biggest sore losers in all of sports in the modern era.

There are calls in football that are subjective and hence there is a human factor in the game (spoiler alert.....humans aren't perfect). The only way to remedy bad calls from being part of the game would be to review everything (so that includes facemask calls and holding). As we all know, one of the biggest gripes of the game is that it takes too long, and the NFL was trying to get that under control. By reviewing everything, you would probably be extending the time of the game to easily over 4 hours (probably closer to 5). No one wants that. The obvious solution is for the Saints fans to accept that and stop acting like a bunch of 5 year olds. I think it's quite unfortunate that we are wasting the court's time on this nonsense.
 
Old 01-23-2019, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
2,243 posts, read 3,465,514 times
Reputation: 3101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Uh, no. It actually is time to move on despite the fact that the Saints fans are acting like a bunch of petulant children. They may go down as the biggest sore losers in all of sports in the modern era.

There are calls in football that are subjective and hence there is a human factor in the game (spoiler alert.....humans aren't perfect). The only way to remedy bad calls from being part of the game would be to review everything (so that includes facemask calls and holding). As we all know, one of the biggest gripes of the game is that it takes too long, and the NFL was trying to get that under control. By reviewing everything, you would probably be extending the time of the game to easily over 4 hours (probably closer to 5). No one wants that. The obvious solution is for the Saints fans to accept that and stop acting like a bunch of 5 year olds. I think it's quite unfortunate that we are wasting the court's time on this nonsense.
This wouldn't work, as instant replay has showed us. But just because you can't get every call right doesn't mean you shouldn't at least attempt to do better. What about simply getting rid of refs who can't or won't do their job, especially in extremely high-stakes moments, and replace them with those who can?

I know what definitely won't bring about improvement -- calling everyone who dares to question the officiating a "petulant child," a "five-year-old," etc.

Excusing THIS missed PI (you saw the play, right?) with "humans aren't perfect" would be like ordering a pizza and opening up the box to find your pizza is perfectly made except that for reasons beyond comprehension, someone left off the pizza sauce and replaced it with ranch dressing. You would have a lot of things to say, but "oh well, humans aren't perfect" wouldn't be too high on the list.
 
Old 01-24-2019, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
6,425 posts, read 4,186,192 times
Reputation: 5726
https://www.facebook.com/MEMES.of.th...039238457/?t=0
.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top