U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 PM

3,162 posts, read 1,805,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I am a Vikings fan myself. All I keep hearing from other Vikings fan is about 2009. Going back 10 years so you can go, HAHA, is a bit immature and ridiculous.
So is whining about calls when you don't say anything when they go the other way.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:37 PM

1,660 posts, read 936,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
So is whining about calls when you don't say anything when they go the other way.
Pointing something out that happened right afterwards that adversely effects a situation is not whining. Its pointing out something that happened. Going back 10 years to say that what happened yesterday is alright, is whining.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:24 PM

670 posts, read 198,358 times
You really think Saints fans won't care about yesterday's game in 9 years?

It may be going back 9 years, but Sean Payton was the coach then and it was also the NFC Championship. And there were several blatant bad calls that helped the Saints, not just 1. The reason I think its funny is it was a phantom PI call on a clean play that set up their game winning kick in 2010 and a blatant no call PI that kept them from running down the clock to win in 2019. Neither game was fair, but if you average the 2 games, the bad calls cancel out.

After the 2010 NFC Championship, Saints fans ran around telling everyone that good teams overcome bad calls and the Saints had legitimately won that game, bad calls didn't matter. Well, here it is, 1 bad call and Sean Payton only whines the refs blew the call.

I get it that he was mad, but did he really forget that he got to his first superbowl on multiple bad calls including booth reviews that went the Saints way but shouldn't have? He didn't acknowledge his bizarre play calling choices on that drive or that his defense let the Rams score twice after the Saints had taken a lead following the no PI call. The Saints had the #1 running back duo in the league, but he called passes near the goal line that let the Rams keep a time out and have just under 2 minutes so they could score and go to OT. The bad call hurt, but bad coaching hurt just as much at the end of regulation.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,308,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Wasn't talking about the Chiefs game, separate subject.

Even if there had been a PI call, you think they score and run the clock down, but you only assume that. They could have had a bad snap or Brees could have thrown a terrible interception just like he did in OT, the kick could have been blocked, etc. Saying the missed facemask call had no impact but the missed PI call did is silly.

And the Saints STILL took the lead on the no PI call drive. They still blew the lead and let it go to OT. They got the ball first and Brees blew it with a horrible INT. Then the Saints defense blew it stopping the Rams from scoring.

Bad calls are exactly that, bad calls. The point of the game in which they occur usually decides how outraged people get. But having a no call late in the game isn't any more of an unfair job by the refs as a no call on the first possession of the first quarter, it just stings more.

And in the ultimate irony, the Saints went to their first superbowl on a phantom PI call that set them up for the winning field goal, again, no Saints fan was complaining then about the refs.

Bitter butthurt Viking fans and other Saint haters can rationalize and spin it all they want- that won't change ANYTHING. Fact is, had the penalty been called like it should have, Saints almost certainly win.
Were there other ref errors? Yes
Should Payton have called better plays on that series? Yes
Are the Rams the better team? Yes
Could this whole mess have been avoided had the Saints made a few more plays? Yes
Did the Saints play dirty and get a ton of breaks by the refs in the 2009 NFC CG vs Minny? Yes

Even so, if the correct penalty was called, Saints almost certainly win.
Hamster wheel it all you want, but nothing will change that fact.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,240,207 times
Saints got hosed.
Horrible

Old 01-21-2019, 06:47 PM

962 posts, read 385,916 times
Nah. Saints need to look in the mirror. How many missed opportunities on TDs. Refs missed a facemask call on the series before that would have set up the Rams up for a TD. That would have made the game tied with the same result...overtime. Did the penalty make Brees throw and interception after they won the coin toss? NO. They lost because the Rams defense stepped up. Plain and simple.

Saints fans are just a bunch of whiners (and it starts with their coach).

Old 01-21-2019, 06:56 PM

670 posts, read 198,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Bitter butthurt Viking fans and other Saint haters can rationalize and spin it all they want- that won't change ANYTHING. Fact is, had the penalty been called like it should have, Saints almost certainly win.
Were there other ref errors? Yes
Should Payton have called better plays on that series? Yes
Are the Rams the better team? Yes
Could this whole mess have been avoided had the Saints made a few more plays? Yes
Did the Saints play dirty and get a ton of breaks by the refs in the 2009 NFC CG vs Minny? Yes

Even so, if the correct penalty was called, Saints almost certainly win.
Hamster wheel it all you want, but nothing will change that fact.
I agree the Saints would almost definitely won had that call been made. I just don't feel bad for them at all because it happens a lot in the NFL and they got their 1st ticket to the SB punched on a game where they benefitted way more from bad calls than the Rams did. And they got a phantom PI call in 2010 to win the game for them. Here they got a no call to lose the game, seems balanced to me.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:27 PM

32,492 posts, read 26,373,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
This above is the real nuts and bolts of what happened! With that being said though,it is a double edged sword...........one side being the play was clearly distinguishable as interference and leading with the helmet.

This there is no debating, no iffy angles or perceptions. It should have been called as a penalty.

On the other side of the sword is the aspect of play calling and clock management. The Saints could have run the clock down a bit smarter and did a better job of play calling.

As a patriots fan I have witnessed and learned that as long as there is time left on that clock victory can be snatched at the blink of an eye.

so very true. i have seen that happen since i started watching football way back in the mid 60s.

does anyone remember this play?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQxp-A5uvkA

that should have been ruled a catch, but the officials overturned the call on replay. reality dryant made the catch, made a football move, and the call should never have been reversed. but note the amount of time left on the clock, over four minutes left in the game. while i was upset that the catch was over turned, it didnt define the game for me. the defense had plenty of time to stop the packers, and get the ball back for the offense to get back down and score a touchdown.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:31 PM

14,586 posts, read 22,437,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Worst non call in recent history even worse than what the Patriots get called their way.

Quote:
Remember 2009 when the Saints took repeated late shots on Brett Favre without a single call? Karma did.
You appear to be a LA Rams honk on this thread*, but I'll agree with all that and pile on this, the New Orleans Aints also cheap-shotted Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning on the way to their Katrina-gifted super bowl win.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Quote:
Just so Saints fans can feel better, just close your eyes and enjoy the memory of Vikings defender Ben Leber being called for pass interference on Saints TE David Thomas when the replay showed there was no contact and the ball was thrown about 5 feet over the receiver.

That was the play that set up the Saints game winning field goal to go to superbowl 44, a bad throw with no pass interference that was called PI anyway by the refs and gave the Saints the game winning kick.

And remember, Sean Payton wasn't outraged then, he was happy as the rest of the Saints and their fans. What goes around comes around.
Brees was hit on the INT. It wasn't just a bad pass.
What about the missed facemask on Goff the previous drive?
The upshot of the whole deal is this, suckers walk.

Aints ain't in the Super Bowl, the Rams are.

The Aints still had their chances after the bad no-call and they didn't do it.

Another couple of noteworthy observations, there's 21 more posts in this thread than the Rams-Patriots Super Bowl thread.

Another thing is something I noticed about crowd noise wrt the Saints crowd... Every time the Rams were about to run a play on offense and during the play, folks in the crowd were constantly making referee whistle noises. Anyone catch this?

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-21-2019 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 PM

6,566 posts, read 9,080,964 times
Lets acknowledge that bad calls or no calls happen often during games,just ask any coach. It really comes down to timing. You will see bad calls happen in the first quarter when the score is 0-0. So when a bad call happens then the coaches will complain to the refs and then move on. The problem with this Saints-Rams no call was that it happened in the fourth quarter and with a tight score. This is what made this no call stand out in comparison to if it had happened in the first quarter. Again,it's about the timing of the bad call or no call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or