U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 PM

962 posts, read 386,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

You appear to be a LA Rams honk on this thread*, but I'll agree with all that and pile on this, the New Orleans Aints also cheap-shotted Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning on the way to their Katrina-gifted super bowl win.

The upshot of the whole deal is this, suckers walk.

Aints ain't in the Super Bowl, the Rams are.

The Aints still had their chances after the bad no-call and they didn't do it.

Another couple of noteworthy observations, there's 21 more posts in this thread than the Rams-Patriots Super Bowl thread.

Another thing is something I noticed about crowd noise wrt the Saints crowd... Every time the Rams were about to run a play on offense and during the play, folks in the crowd were constantly making referee whistle noises. Anyone catch this?
I did. Extremely poor sportsmanship.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 PM

21,364 posts, read 21,922,845 times
Ball was uncatchable and that's just hard nosed football

Stop your whining

Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,465,514 times
All this garbage about a game that happened a decade ago is obscuring the central issue here: the defensive back for the Rams made a play that is 100% against the rules of football, and would have been a called a penalty 999 times out of 1,000 at every single level of football, and yet was not flagged for it in this situation. Why? How does something like that happen? I don't have the answer to that question. But I know it's the issue here, and not all this other crap that people flood the discussion with.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:01 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,374,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Stop your whining

You must be a Scams fan.

Anyone that just disregards the fact that there was no PI or Helment to Helmet call is an individual who just canít accept the fact that sports in America are no better or superior to those in Europe, South America. Sports leagues are just as rigged here as they are in other parts of the world. Just look at the NBA.

As for the NFL, it is disgraceful that no call was made. After listening to that worthless piece of garbage Goodell clamor for years about putting a team in LA, you have what many refer to as the worst call ever made (or not made) allowing said LA team to go to super bowl in only their 3rd year back in LA. Optics look really shady.

Shame on anyone that pisses their money away on a league that is blatantly fixed. And I am not a fan of any of the teams that played this last Sunday.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:39 AM

1,661 posts, read 936,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
You must be a Scams fan.

Anyone that just disregards the fact that there was no PI or Helment to Helmet call is an individual who just canít accept the fact that sports in America are no better or superior to those in Europe, South America. Sports leagues are just as rigged here as they are in other parts of the world. Just look at the NBA.

As for the NFL, it is disgraceful that no call was made. After listening to that worthless piece of garbage Goodell clamor for years about putting a team in LA, you have what many refer to as the worst call ever made (or not made) allowing said LA team to go to super bowl in only their 3rd year back in LA. Optics look really shady.

Shame on anyone that pisses their money away on a league that is blatantly fixed. And I am not a fan of any of the teams that played this last Sunday.
To be fair to the NFL itself, league officials said immediately after the game that the refs blew the call.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:20 AM

10,478 posts, read 5,941,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Stop your whining
Just wondered into the thread and found this little gem. EVERYONE in the football world, including the league, has acknowledged there was not 1 but 2 penalties on the play. I can't wait to go back and read your other takes on that play. My guess is you are a Rams fan who is upset that your big win will always be tainted.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:32 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,840,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
For those with a fuzzy memory, here are a slew of blown calls that sent the Saints to their first superbowl. You can all stop your whining now because you sure didn't whine about the refs after that game.

Saints/Vikings highlights start around the 45 second mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRd5jkJ1dEo

And Goff was facemasked on the previous drive, but no call and they would have had 1st and goal on the 1 yard line. Wasn't a horrible facemask, but it pulled Goff's head around to the left and completely changed his movement, textbook reason for throwing a flag. Had the Saints guy hit him with his shouler too, it wouldn't have been a bad blown call. But his hand to the facemask turning Goff's head is the only contact he makes. Facemask foul, plain and simple, not single Saints fan believes it was a big deal because they are too busy dramatizing the no call PI on the following drive. But that facemask would have sealed the game for the Rams just as much as the no call PI would have sealed it for the Saints.

The ironic thing hear is there were multiple bad calls in overtime that favored the Saints that were booth reviewed and were still blown calls. The Saints were handed their first superbowl trip by the refs MULTIPLE times.

Have heard nothing but whining from Saints fans and none big enough to admit that PI wasn't the only bad call with game changing implications.
Saints did catch a lot if breaks on the way to Super Bowl 44, and we found out three years later about the bounty scandal that directly impacted that playoff run...

I'm a Brees and Payton fan, but yes, Saints fans need to tone down the complaining. These things are tough, but they happen. Your defense still could have made a stop, the offensive playcalling could have been better, and maybe next time let's not blow a 13-0 lead at home in the NFC Championship Game...

Old 01-22-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
All this garbage about a game that happened a decade ago is obscuring the central issue here: the defensive back for the Rams made a play that is 100% against the rules of football, and would have been a called a penalty 999 times out of 1,000 at every single level of football, and yet was not flagged for it in this situation. Why? How does something like that happen? I don't have the answer to that question. But I know it's the issue here, and not all this other crap that people flood the discussion with.

The problem with this post and a myriad of others of the people complaining about the "no-call" is they simply have blinders on and refuse to recognize that there was over 60 minutes of other things that happened in that game. You can cherry pick the one play all you want, but to ignore everything else that went on just shows your lack of objectivity and your intellectual rigidity (what else can you say about people that ignore everything else that's been said). There were countless blown opportunities for the Saints, where they had to settle for field goals because the Rams defense stopped them (Saints need to take some personal responsibility for that). A whistle was being blown all throughout the game when the Rams had possession of the ball just prior to snapping (where was the Saints security staff?). You honestly don't think that has an impact?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...nnoys-twitter/

The officials blew a call on the Rams drive prior to the helmet-to-helmet that would have put the Rams in a pretty good position to score a touchdown (but yes, keep ignoring that). Both Aikman and Buck said it as they showed the reply on an obvious missed call for a face mask (100% against the rules!). The impact to the game is no different than what happened to the Saints. That would have required the Saints to score a touchdown to tie the game up.

The Saints could have stopped the Rams on their final drive and prevented them from scoring a field goal (Saints need to take some personal responsibility for that).

The Saints win the coin toss in OT and Brees proceeds to throw an interception (Saints need to take some personal responsibility for that).

But you folks can just continue to ignore all these inconvenient details. In the end, the Rams are in the Superbowl and the Saints organization will be watching the game on TV, having an ice cream cone. And spare me the immature "you must be a Rams fan" BS. I'm a football fan that understands that these things happen so I don't sit around and whine about it. Get over it because all your complaining in the world isn't going to change the scoreboard and the result. The heroes of this game was an awesome kicker who nailed not one, but two clutch field goals, a defense that held one of the most prolific scoring teams in the NFL in check, and a coach and a QB that held their emotions in check (seriously, is Sean Payton not the biggest whiner you've ever seen).

The Saints lost. Deal with it.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 01-22-2019 at 05:01 AM..

Old 01-22-2019, 04:55 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,465,514 times
^This post is exactly what I'm talking about. Fake tough-guy "what-about-ism" flung all over the conversation, with a "deal with it" thrown in for good measure (I'm a Browns fan, I'm sure I'll deal with this fine thanks, I'm just trying to have a clear-headed discussion about this, that's all).

Accusing people of "lack of intellectual rigor," good God. We're talking about FOOTBALL here. Yes, it's a complex game, but there are also times when it's really freaking simple. Spearing a receiver to take away his opportunity to catch a pass is supposed to earn you a penalty flag. In such a huge moment, people are right to wonder why the flag wasn't thrown. Sometimes "intellectual rigor" is focusing on the important question, even if it's a simple one like this, and avoiding a temptation take a verbal dump on the discussion that leaves us no closer to getting an answer to that question than before.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
^This post is exactly what I'm talking about. Fake tough-guy "what-about-ism" flung all over the conversation, with a "deal with it" thrown in for good measure (I'm a Browns fan, I'm sure I'll deal with this fine thanks, I'm just trying to have a clear-headed discussion about this, that's all).

Accusing people of "lack of intellectual rigor," good God. We're talking about FOOTBALL here. Yes, it's a complex game, but there are also times when it's really freaking simple. Spearing a receiver to take away his opportunity to catch a pass is supposed to earn you a penalty flag. In such a huge moment, people are right to wonder why the flag wasn't thrown. Sometimes "intellectual rigor" is focusing on the important question, even if it's a simple one like this, and avoiding a temptation take a verbal dump on the discussion that leaves us no closer to getting an answer to that question than before.
What a wonderful dodge and deflect. Thanks for making my point. Nothing else matters except for what you want to talk about and your narrative. Got it. Blinders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or