U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 01:02 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,456,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I think the Rams will be the new New England as far as dominance, this Super Bowl will be the passing of the torch. The Rams will be a dynasty!! BOOK IT!! (as someone previously wrote)
The Chiefs game was supposed to be the passing of the QB torch. Even if the Rams do win, the passing of the torch will not be determined until next year at a minimum. How many people thought last years loss to the Eagles was some sort of torch passing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
People hate the Pats for the same reason they hate Bama. It's not the team success. It's the obnoxious *** fans.
I think all fan bases are obnoxious in their own way. It's just highlighted more when the team has an unmatched amount of success which year after year dashed the hopes of the fans of other teams. Would the Steelers be the Patriots if the Patriots were the Browns of just a few years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 PM

10,677 posts, read 11,085,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Just like the Falcons who came within a hair of beating the Patriots, and the Eagles who actually did beat the Patriots? As a Rams fan, I mean, I hope you're right. But each year is different and the Rams have to stay aggressive in the off-season year after year in order to simply get out of the NFC, much less win the championship.

Remember how the Vikings were just a QB away from Super Bowl status? Well, only time will tell but it didn't come together this year. Next year's NFC is gonna to be brutal.
This is such a good and accurate post. The joke that NFL stands for "not for long" couldn't be more true. Everything can change so drastically from one season to the next. It's a fool's game to predict a dynasty. I've seen Chiefs fans talking about having a top tier offense for the next 10 years. It's reasonable to expect them to be good again next year, but even with a lot of the same pieces that's not a lock. This league is constantly evolving, closing the gap, and evolving again.

The Rams appear to be in good shape for a good few years at least. But to predict they'll be a dynasty? Let's give them another 7-8 years and see where we are.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:55 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,456,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Just like the Falcons who came within a hair of beating the Patriots, and the Eagles who actually did beat the Patriots? As a Rams fan, I mean, I hope you're right. But each year is different and the Rams have to stay aggressive in the off-season year after year in order to simply get out of the NFC, much less win the championship.

Remember how the Vikings were just a QB away from Super Bowl status? Well, only time will tell but it didn't come together this year. Next year's NFC is gonna to be brutal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
This is such a good and accurate post. The joke that NFL stands for "not for long" couldn't be more true. Everything can change so drastically from one season to the next. It's a fool's game to predict a dynasty. I've seen Chiefs fans talking about having a top tier offense for the next 10 years. It's reasonable to expect them to be good again next year, but even with a lot of the same pieces that's not a lock. This league is constantly evolving, closing the gap, and evolving again.

The Rams appear to be in good shape for a good few years at least. But to predict they'll be a dynasty? Let's give them another 7-8 years and see where we are.
As a fan of the game (and a Patriots fan), it's what has made this incredibly long run of excellence so amazing. It shouldn't happen. The league is designed for this not to happen. And even more striking is that the Patriots have done this with low draft picks for a couple of decades.

From the business perspective, the Patriots have cost a lot of people jobs (evidence KC D-coordinator most recently), and have cost franchises a lot of money.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:55 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,957 times
I'm not sold on Goff yet. Good QB but not sure he is elite or even top 10. And once he cashes in on a huge deal I'm not sure he will be good enough to make up for the deficiencies that will emerge on the rest of the roster. The one x-factor will be McVay. If McVay is the second coming of Andy Reid maybe the Rams will be okay.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
How many people thought last years loss to the Eagles was some sort of torch passing?
Lol yeah, I never heard anyone say that, not even once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'm not sold on Goff yet. Good QB but not sure he is elite or even top 10. And once he cashes in on a huge deal I'm not sure he will be good enough to make up for the deficiencies that will emerge on the rest of the roster. The one x-factor will be McVay. If McVay is the second coming of Andy Reid maybe the Rams will be okay.
Goff is definitely Top 10, he's somewhere between #6 and #8. He's not Top 5 yet...

To be fair, in Brady's third year as a starter (2003), he was only about the 9th or 10th best QB in the game himself. So Goff, more or less relative to his peers in the time he's played, is about where Brady was in his third year starting...

It amazes me, both on here and in real life, how many people who truly know the game can't remember the early Brady. Granted, winning early and often as he did can mask other things. Brady was not an elite QB for either of his first three Super Bowls. The first year that you can even argue he was borderline Top 5 is 2005, which was Year 6 overall and his fifth year as a starter, and he was borderline, not undisputed as Top 5. That was the year the Brady--Manning thing developed in the media because Manning got his first victory on the Patriots that year...

Absolutely nobody in 2005 thought Brady was a better player than Peyton Manning, but Brady's early success and his team beatdown of Manning and the Colts made it a conversation. Young Brady definitely had his moments and in particular I remember him playing outstanding versus the Panthers in SB37. But the early part of his career he was not the focal point...

Brady was in that fringe Top 5 area (top 4-6 QB) for 2005 and 2006, and had the playoff resume and team success while he kept improving. Then 2007 came, and he had one of the four best QB seasons ever, and became the #1 QB in one year. 2007, that was the first year that anybody even entertained that he "may" be better than Manning, 2007 was the first year Brady was an undisputed top 4 or 5 quarterback. And though he lost his first Super Bowl that year, for many people 2007 represents in their mind's eye where they started seeing Brady. I never cease to be amazed how many people who follow the game have little to no memory of pre-2007 Brady...

So when evaluating Goff, keep this in mind. The greatest QB of all time in mine and most people's views, was only considered "good" not GREAT, before he was 30 years old. It took until Year 8, or Year 7 as a starter, it took until Brady was 30, to fully mature into the force we all recognize today. And everything since then (2007) is the stuff of legend. He's on his 6th Super Bowl in the last 12 seasons in the greatest 12-year run ever put together by any quarterback...

Goff is 24 and only in Year 3 and starting his first Super Bowl. The Rams aren't yet built around him and he has some glaring weaknesses. But his trajectory, particularly if he can stay paired with McVay, gotdamn......Goff has no real ceiling...

Old 01-24-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Goff is 24 and only in Year 3 and starting his first Super Bowl. The Rams aren't yet built around him and he has some glaring weaknesses. But his trajectory, particularly if he can stay paired with McVay, gotdamn......Goff has no real ceiling...
Of course they are built around him right now. They will be less so once he gets paid.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Of course they are built around him right now. They will be less so once he gets paid.
I guess I mean the offense runs through Todd Gurley. They are built around Gurley's unique talents as a runner and catcher...

My view on QB development has changed in the last two to three years, precipitated by the length today's QBs are now able to play, relative to yesterday's legends, and the fact that Brady didn't "become" Brady until he was 30. Its why I said recently, that people bringing up Nick Foles' age, was inconsequential. Foles will be 30 this year, and I truly believe his best years are in front of him. Historically, the great QBs typically played 12-15 seasons and were shot by 32-35...

The needle has moved and QB has evolved with the rest of the sport. We're in an era where QBs don't even reach their peak until their 30s and guys are routinely playing to 40+. So not just with Goff, but all of these young guys, in my view they have years to develop. And as many great moments as we've already seen from Wilson and Luck, in all probability we haven't seen the best years from them yet. I think Goff has the potential to one day become the best player at his position...

Old 01-24-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
and guys are routinely playing to 40+. .
You're getting ahead of yourself here. How many guys have really done it?

Favre almost a decade ago. And Brady. That's basically it.

It will be interesting to see if guys like Eli, Rivers, Big Ben and Rodgers can hold up till that age and beyond.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You're getting ahead of yourself here. How many guys have really done it?

Favre almost a decade ago. And Brady. That's basically it.

It will be interesting to see if guys like Eli, Rivers, Big Ben and Rodgers can hold up till that age and beyond.
Add Brees to that, but you're right...

I guess the probability of guys playing longer is more what I mean...

Old 01-24-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Add Brees to that, but you're right...

I guess the probability of guys playing longer is more what I mean...
Brees is still 39.

We will see more guys do it. But at a high level? Peyton's decline at the age of 39 was almost over night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football