U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:57 AM

4,850 posts, read 6,368,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I understand the hate but you're gonna miss them when they're gone. There will never be another run of NFL dominance like these Patriots have put together. It'll a different team every year that will only excite that city's fanbase. The SB won't be special anymore because ever city will end up getting a trophy eventually.

The standard for the NFL is a dynasty, not a SB victory.
Patriots fan will miss them but the masses won't. One team's continued success is only good for the fan base. Others tune out. There's a lot more "not watching" than "can't wait" comments for the SB.

There will be another dynasty. Somewhere. Sometime. This has been the history of the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,902 times
Run to the bank with Patriots -2 favorites. I got them early at -1.5.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 AM

4,325 posts, read 2,262,417 times
I would like to see Rams play well in the Super Bowl and their last Super Boel win was around 2000 when they knocked off the Titans and they played in St. Louis during those years

Old 01-21-2019, 10:29 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,860,902 times
Quote:
I understand the hate but you're gonna miss them when they're gone. There will never be another run of NFL dominance like these Patriots have put together. It'll a different team every year that will only excite that city's fanbase. The SB won't be special anymore because ever city will end up getting a trophy eventually.

This post makes no sense. You think Bills, Jets and Dolphins fans are going to miss the Patriots winning 10 straight division titles or 16 of the last 18?

We might not ever see another dynasty like the Patriots but we will still have dynasty's.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:42 AM

10,699 posts, read 11,099,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
This post makes no sense. You think Bills, Jets and Dolphins fans are going to miss the Patriots winning 10 straight division titles or 16 of the last 18?

We might not ever see another dynasty like the Patriots but we will still have dynasty's.
I have to agree with this. Nobody but Pats fans are going to miss Brady or BB once they’re gone. I’m not a Pats fan, but I’m not a hater either. No need for me to hate them because my team has actually fared well against the Pats even during their dynasty run. But with that said I am not going to miss them always being in the playoffs and even wouldn’t hate seeing a long run of sub .500 seasons once Brady and BB are gone. For now...they’re great. I’m really glad they knocked off the Chiefs. I hope the Rams knock them off now!

Old 01-21-2019, 10:58 AM

4,325 posts, read 2,262,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The Rams don't win pretty, but they do hang in there. Not so fast to count them out here.
Eagles did the same in last year's Super Bowl, even when the Patriots jumped ahead the Eagles never gave up; they fought hard and came back to win

Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
NFL 2018 Season Predictions Thread

Look it up . The cat picked the Super Bowl. Not that I approve, nor will I watch it.

this message will probably get deleted anyway. I will watch it as soon as someone other than the evil Patriots or Broncos are in it.
You the man, Cat!

Quote:

Yeah, few are gonna agree with this. And I'm a huge Brady fan, and a fan of great football. I will miss Brady when he's gone, and I truly feel fortunate to have been able to watch him play. But even I'm ready for new names to have success. I'm indifferent to Belichick and the Patriots organization--->I respect their accomplishments, and I don't hate them. But I would be absolutely unaffected to watch the Pats return to mediocrity as they were 20+ years ago. Would not bother me a bit...

And rest assured, there will be a precipitous decline once Brady and Belichick are gone. New England has been the AFC rep in half of the last 18 Super Bowls. Maybe God will anoint the franchise twice and they'll have the next Brady waiting in a few years to rip off another 20-year run, but in all likelihood, the Patriots will fall as sharply after this era, as the Niners fell after the 90s; as the Steelers fell in the 80s; as the Cowboys have been since 1995. Its most certainly coming, and I get the sense that longtime Pats fans understand this, and the best they can hope for is that they at least are "sometimes" competitive like the other great franchises are...

Lastly, the NFL always has dynasties. Those of us who appreciate the game with an unbiased eye will acknowledge the Patriots, but few will miss them. We'll all mostly be glad they are gone...

Old 01-21-2019, 12:35 PM

2,270 posts, read 882,375 times
The Patriots will play in their 11th Super Bowl, ahead of Dallas, Denver and Pittsburgh (all tied at 8)

The Patriots will either tie the Steelers for the most Super Bowl wins (6) or become the first team to lose 6 Super Bowls.

The Patriots will become the third team to play in 3 consecutive Super Bowls (along with Miami and Buffalo - all AFC teams, interestingly).

The Patriots will become the first Super Bowl loser since Buffalo in 1993* to return to the big game the following season. The last team to win the Super Bowl the year after losing it was the 1972 Dolphins.

The Rams will become the 14th team to play in at least 4 Super Bowls.

The Patriots will become the second team (after Dallas) to play in 3 Super Bowls which are matchups of franchises that previously met in the big game. For the first time ever, consecutive Super Bowls will both be rematches.

Tom Brady will have more Super Bowl appearances than 31 NFL franchises.

Since turning 40, Brady has won four games in five starts, with a passing line of 153-229 for 1823 yards and 10 touchdowns. In each of those categories, he has more after-turning-40 postseason stats than the rest of the players in NFL history combined (though only five other players - Brett Favre, George Blanda, Drew Brees, Charley Conerly and Sonny Jurgenson - have thrown a postseason pass after turning 40).

Going back 27 seasons (to the 1991 season), no NFC team has gone to more than 3 Super Bowls (3 - NY Giants, Dallas, Green Bay, Seattle; 2 + 1 pending - StL/LA Rams; 2 - Atlanta, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Carolina; 1 - Washington, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Arizona, New Orleans), in contrast to the AFC (9 + 1 pending - New England; 4 - Pittsburgh, Denver; 3 - Buffalo; 2 - Baltimore, Indianapolis; 1 - San Diego, Tennessee, Oakland)

Either Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger or Peyton Manning will have represented the AFC in 16 of the 18 consecutive Super Bowls. At least one of the Brady/Roethlisberger/P. Manning trio has started in every AFC title game since 2003, and six of those games saw two of those three QBs starting against each other. The last time an NFC QB started a third career Super Bowl was Kurt Warner in 2008, and before him it was Troy Aikman in 1995.

Note:
For frame of reference, all else being equal, imagine if either Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlisberger had played in the NFC? Each would probably have more Super Bowl appearances.

*I use the year of the season in this post, not the year of the games themselves.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 PM

6,778 posts, read 10,181,373 times
Yup, this sums it up.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 PM

72,015 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Between the awful officiating and the same team winning year after year I am done with the NFL for this year. I'll record the Super Bowl on YouTube TV, if the scores close I'll watch it sometime, but am going to be doing something more productive on February 2 than watching the Patriots in another Super Bowl, and watching boring commercials. I'll say Patriots 24-14 if only because I hope Brady & Belicheck retire afterwards and give the other 15 AFC teams a chance to win something.
Hope they both retire as you say, but I still can't route for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football