Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 08:35 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I still believe that the Steelers hold that distinction. Without Brady what have the Patriots done? Do you think they will have a competitive team after he retires? The Steelers have always been considered a team to beat to get into the post season. They get into the post season themselves on a regular basis. Granted, the Pats Teams with Brady at the helm have run the tables. Now, consider the Colts after Payton Manning.
We cannot answer that yet. Pittsburgh was dominant in the 1970s and then went 15 years before they made another Super Bowl and of course lost to the Cowboys. They then went through another decade before they made it to another Super Bowl. We’ll have to see what New England does once Brady retires and a whole new regime comes in. We really won’t know the answer for another 12-15 years. The Patriots did make it to two Super Bowls without Brady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 08:36 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I agree it was the most blatant. But it doesn't change the fact that three or four non-calls went against the Rams before the one that went against the Saints. You've surely heard the saying two wrongs make a right, right?

Plus, just don't turn the ball over in overtime and Saints probably win. Or how about run the clock instead of throw in-completions to stop the clock.
The actual saying is "Two wrongs Don't make a right." And the game would have never gotten to OT if the call had been made.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:38 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
I still believe that the Steelers hold that distinction. Without Brady what have the Patriots done? Do you think they will have a competitive team after he retires? The Steelers have always been considered a team to beat to get into the post season. They get into the post season themselves on a regular basis. Granted, the Pats Teams with Brady at the helm have run the tables. Now, consider the Colts after Payton Manning.
You’re not giving Belicheck any respect here. Both are GOATs. Both deserve your respect. Belicheck just held McVay and the Rams great offense to 3 points.

He brought in Gilmore as a free agent on a pretty big contract. A move that at the time seemed to go against everything Belicheck has ever done. Well that move alone may have lead to two Super Bowl appearances and one title. Belicheck is constantly evaluating and re-inventing this Patriots team. He works harder and smarter than everyother coach out there.

By the way Kavalier, Gilmore is black. You probably just know him as #24.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
You’re not giving Belicheck any respect here. Both are GOATs. Both deserve your respect. Belicheck just held McVay and the Rams great offense to 3 points.

He brought in Gilmore as a free agent on a pretty big contract. A move that at the time seemed to go against everything Belicheck has ever done. Well that move alone may have lead to two Super Bowl appearances and one title. Belicheck is constantly evaluating and re-inventing this Patriots team. He works harder and smarter than everyother coach out there.

By the way Kavalier, Gilmore is black. You probably just know him as #24.
Belichek is probably the GOAT of coaches, no doubt. How many TD passes has he thrown? Without Brady he would merely be considered a journeyman with a long track record, albeit a good one.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
The actual saying is "Two wrongs Don't make a right." And the game would have never gotten to OT if the call had been made.
And if the other penalties had been enforced? Rams likely would have had a three point lead so it indeed still may have gone into overtime.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Belichek is probably the GOAT of coaches, no doubt. How many TD passes has he thrown? Without Brady he would merely be considered a journeyman with a long track record.
You can’t be serious. He threw as many as the GOAT QB yesterday.

Quote:
And if the other penalties had been enforced? Rams likely would have had a three point lead so it indeed still may have gone into overtime.
There are close bad calls and blatant bad calls. The latter should never happen, but you can count on the former. The Rams player making the bad hit even got fined for the head to head in the week following. $26K I believe.

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
LOL.

I know it is true you will disappear. Bandwagon NFL fan.
Well when I'm not watching the Vikings be perennial disappointments, the Pats play hard, they play the way football is supposed to be played (busting their -sses and by playing old-school football), and yes, most of their "skill" players look like me. No different than a little AA child at a NHL game that only roots for PK Subban or Byfuglien.

And yes I am aware that some of their "skill" players are AA. Mind you their "best" WR was Gordon who was nowhere to be found this post season (I wonder why?). They work the hardest bro, and with that they have the most success.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
You can’t be serious. He threw as many as the GOAT QB yesterday.
Where? And if that is true, why don't we see him in the HOF for his play?

I just have a hard time seeing Belichek being GOAT over the likes of Lombardi, Landry or Schula.

They all seemed to do it with more than one great QB.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:00 AM

33,332 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I love the talk of a boring game, or how the league is rigged for the Pats, or any other garbage thrown at the Pats.

They have been built to win by any means. They score when they need to most. They stop the other team's strengths. And they win - A LOT.

I'm a Pats fan and I love it. And I look at the negativity and hate and feel sorry for those who pretend to be sports fans. To not marvel at this team's accomplishments and their staggering dynasty run is you loss. I love sports, and when dominance comes along I marvel at it. I hated the Yankees for a long time, but I know it wasn't really hate because behind it all I was in awe of their dominance as they always kept the Red Sox at bay until the Sox turned that around.

It is a safe bet the major sports world will never see a QB, a coach, a team, go on this long of a run again. Sorry not sorry it's not your team doing the winning. If your team was the Pats, you'd defend them and marvel at them despite the Gates or anything else that has been a media frenzy against.

It's sad that even after a 6-3 record in SUper Bowls people will stay say not the best for whatever reason. I guess they cheated again this year as they always do, or it's a dog and pony show and Goodell wants them to win every year. If you believe that rubbish, you're not a football fan, or your just stuck in the muck of hate. Keep hating - I"m celebrating.
I agree with the spirit of your post.

There is a difference between not wanting a rival to win games and hating that team.

I don't like Brady, and I don't like Coach B, but Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones are two of my favorite owners even though I wish the Cowboys and the Patriots would lose every game that they play. My desire for them to lose likely comes mostly from being a lifelong 49ers and Raiders fan.....wanting the 49ers and the Raiders to be at the top of the heap re Super Bowl wins.

I used to hate the Yankees, partially because I thought old man Steinbrenner was a first class a-hole, and partially because they kept beating the A's when Jeter was in his prime. But I still appreciate what old man Steinbrenner meant to the game. I've been to games in every park in the majors, and although I'd love to see the Yankees lose every time they play the Red Sox, I marvel at the intensity of Yankees fans. I think Red Sox fans are more knowledgeable, and also have a better appreciation and reverence for the history of the game (and I think baseball fans in Boston are nicer than the average metro Bostonian), but, IME, the Yankees have the most intense fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football