U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM

2,243 posts, read 3,461,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
As an older fan (probably "much" older than some fans), I can't get into all this shoulda, woulda, coulda stuff. To me, entertainment, things happen and I get over it. Every team probably can claim moments, fans talk about things a long time, it is what fans do these days. Packer fans still talk about the Fail Mary game, replacement refs.

I listen to fans say certain teams are favored, get all the breaks, Pats have it too easy with their division, Packers never get called as much as other teams, it is endless. With the internet, fans have a gazillion places to get information and the latest hot takes, constantly fueling the fire.

Bottom line, don't let games get to this point, Saints scored 2 FGs in the red zone, they really could have put the game away early. Chiefs couldn't stop Pats marching down the field to score, so Brady and the Pats are at fault? The OT rules are wrong? It is sports, entertainment, nothing is prefect but it isn't life and death. It isn't worth someone in government wasting time on this, are you kidding me, with all the other issues, you want to bring this up? Perspective, people, perspective.
Don't let a conference championship game that you're favored by three in "get to the point" where you're tied, with less than 2 minutes to go, driving deep into your opponent's territory, and drawing the mother of all obvious penalties that would have allowed you to go up at least three AND run the clock down to virtually nothing? That's the point the Saints weren't supposed to let it get to?

Old 01-24-2019, 03:52 PM

16,752 posts, read 9,103,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
While this is true, on offense pre-snap help does happen when the two officials on the end of the line of scrimmage, the down judge and the line judge, help the wide receiver by extending a foot signifying where the actual line of scrimmage is. ... A quick nod of the head from the official lets the player know that he is OK.
#1 We aren't talking about a wide receiver asking a ref if he is lined up as you say...It was Dee Ford a Defensive End.

#2 The Refs are not required to nor are they expected to walk up to the lines and alert the defensive linemen if they are obviously lined up offside. Do you sincerely expect the refs to run out of position to warn players that they are lined up offsides while the ball could be snapped at any moment?

#3 Dee Ford did not ask the ref if he was onside he simply lined up way offsides.

#4 The ref irrefutably made the correct call.

#5 I've watched football for decades and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain because the ref didn't warn a defensive lineman for lining up offsides. I have seen refs throw a flag scores of times in this same exact situation and it has always been well..."he was obviously lined up offsides that was the correct call."

The only reason anyone could have a problem with the ref calling Dee Ford offsides is if you are irrational from your love of the Chiefs or irrational from your hate of the Patriots.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:07 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
This is definitely a new one on me. Players should know where to line up, and I have never seen a ref indicate where they should be, why would they?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:05 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,510,669 times
These bad calls happen to teams all the time, on all levels. I love that Saints fans are upset, and I get it, but every fan of every team can probably think of a very blatant call that effected your team terribly. Rams fans--you know it will happen or probably has already happened to your team. It is what happens.

I am amused at how angry Saints fans were, while Steeler fans were trying to remind them of the PI on Joe Haden in their game a few weeks ago. No, it wasnt the NFC Title game, but try telling Steeler fans that play wasnt important.

What if the roles had been reversed? Goff throwing to Cooks and a Eli Apple levels Cooks? Rams fans would be livid, and the conspiracy theorists would just claim the NFL would do anything for a Brees-Brady SB.

It happens. We're human. You should just hope it doesnt happen to your team, and that in the meantime, hope that NFL officiating somehow improves in the future.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 PM

3,309 posts, read 2,300,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
You're wasting your time Michiganmoon. Saints fans are only interested in their narrow minded version of what happened and are relishing playing a victim's role. I think most people are tired of their whining by now. As soon as the Superbowl starts, these games will be yesterday's news and most people will move on (most already have). In the meantime, the bitter and broken Saints fans and the gamblers that got their butts handed to them last week will continue to cry in their beer over the coulda, shoulda, woulda, that didn't happen and is not going to be overturned despite some frivolous lawsuit. Simply a bunch of sore losers.

Like the Rams fans were after the Saints beat them 45-35 in week 9

Old 01-24-2019, 10:23 PM

3,309 posts, read 2,300,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
#1 We aren't talking about a wide receiver asking a ref if he is lined up as you say...It was Dee Ford a Defensive End.

#2 The Refs are not required to nor are they expected to walk up to the lines and alert the defensive linemen if they are obviously lined up offside. Do you sincerely expect the refs to run out of position to warn players that they are lined up offsides while the ball could be snapped at any moment?

#3 Dee Ford did not ask the ref if he was onside he simply lined up way offsides.

#4 The ref irrefutably made the correct call.

#5 I've watched football for decades and this is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain because the ref didn't warn a defensive lineman for lining up offsides. I have seen refs throw a flag scores of times in this same exact situation and it has always been well..."he was obviously lined up offsides that was the correct call."

The only reason anyone could have a problem with the ref calling Dee Ford offsides is if you are irrational from your love of the Chiefs or irrational from your hate of the Patriots.
So you're ok with the roughing the passer call? The catch that actually wasn't?
When was the last time the Patriots lost a playoff game due to officiating controversy?
Great teams make their own " luck" and make great plays. New England certainly does that- but on the rate occasion they are stopped in the post season- they always seem to get bailed out.
The only reason anyone could not see that NE appears to get the benefit of EVERY tough post season call is their irrational love of the Patriots or man crush on Brady and Gronkowski!
The NFL is a business, and the Patriots in the SB is good for business. They don't have to win it, just play in it- that is enough to attract the fringe, casual fans out there. Even the fans that don't know a touchdown from a touchback, know who the Patriots are. Plus the Patriots are so polarizing that having them IN the SB, makes it a must-see!

I laugh at patriots " fans"!
When their team gets bailed out in the playoffs, they mock the other teams fans, yet they themselves cry if their beloved patriots aren't shown proper reverence by the refs!
My cat knows more about football than your average patriots " fan"

Old 01-25-2019, 02:27 AM

957 posts, read 380,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Like the Rams fans were after the Saints beat them 45-35 in week 9
Wow, what a rebuttal

Hopefully the Saints fans can take solace in that while they're watching the Rams play the Superbowl

Old 01-25-2019, 02:29 AM

957 posts, read 380,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
As an older fan (probably "much" older than some fans), I can't get into all this shoulda, woulda, coulda stuff. To me, entertainment, things happen and I get over it. Every team probably can claim moments, fans talk about things a long time, it is what fans do these days. Packer fans still talk about the Fail Mary game, replacement refs.

I listen to fans say certain teams are favored, get all the breaks, Pats have it too easy with their division, Packers never get called as much as other teams, it is endless. With the internet, fans have a gazillion places to get information and the latest hot takes, constantly fueling the fire.

Bottom line, don't let games get to this point, Saints scored 2 FGs in the red zone, they really could have put the game away early. Chiefs couldn't stop Pats marching down the field to score, so Brady and the Pats are at fault? The OT rules are wrong? It is sports, entertainment, nothing is prefect but it isn't life and death. It isn't worth someone in government wasting time on this, are you kidding me, with all the other issues, you want to bring this up? Perspective, people, perspective.
Perfectly stated Susan. Yep, Saints should have been up big at halftime. They didn't capitalize and left the Rams in the game and it bit them in the butt. I bet Sean McVay was whistling going back to the locker room at halftime, almost in disbelief at the thought they were still in the game despite how bad their offense played in the first half.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:52 AM

16,752 posts, read 9,103,803 times
Quote:
When was the last time the Patriots lost a playoff game due to officiating controversy?
Great teams make their own " luck" and make great plays. New England certainly does that- but on the rate occasion they are stopped in the post season- they always seem to get bailed out.
The only reason anyone could not see that NE appears to get the benefit of EVERY tough post season call is their irrational love of the Patriots or man crush on Brady and Gronkowski!
The NFL is a business, and the Patriots in the SB is good for business. They don't have to win it, just play in it- that is enough to attract the fringe, casual fans out there. Even the fans that don't know a touchdown from a touchback, know who the Patriots are. Plus the Patriots are so polarizing that having them IN the SB, makes it a must-see!

When their team gets bailed out in the playoffs, they mock the other teams fans, yet they themselves cry if their beloved patriots aren't shown proper reverence by the refs!
My whole point went right over your head.

#1 No I am not okay with bad refereeing.

#2 Andy Reid is being ridiculous and hypocritical...complaining that the refs made 100% indisputably the correct call...because they didn't give his player a warning.

#3 Had the Patriots lost, as I already pointed out...Kansas City ran an illegal pick play that set up a 1st down and Goal from the Patriots 2 yard line....that they then scored a TD off of. Had the refs not missed that blatant call it would have been 2nd down and 25 from their own 45....they might not have gotten any points on that drive had the refs not missed an obvious call. Here is the kicker...Andy Reid wouldn't care any more about the right calls getting made, Patriots' fans would magically care about good refereeing, and you apparently with your bias would no longer care about the right calls getting made in that game.

Hypocrisy abounds.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:01 AM

4,979 posts, read 11,042,177 times
Quote:

The roughing the passer call was bogus, I don't think you will find a Pats fan who will deny that

The Hogan catch was absolutely a catch, replay confirmed. Hogan had control of the ball the whole way. Certainly more of a "catch" than the Clements "catch" for a TD in last years SB....

The offsides was clearly offsides and if it hadn't been called it would have been as a blatant a miss as the PI in the Saints game, hardly a bailout..

Plenty of missed or bad calls on both sides to even out the roughing the passer call. Pats had a fumble recovery on Kelce that was wiped out by a phantom holding call on Jackson....if that was a hold then every defensive series on the Chiefs should have been a hold.

The pick play was blatant OPI and likely would have wiped out a KC TD drive.

The idea that the Patriots get the benefit of every post season call is a myth perpetuated by irrational Patriots haters like yourself....

I laugh at Patriots "haters"

Pats could have been 19-0 if not for an obvious missed penalty but no one ever talks about it because it doesn't fit the narrative that so many irrational haters like yourself believe

"But as Manning kept moving his feet and staying alive, struggling to break free from the grasp of both New England rushers, a desperate O'Hara slid his gloved right hand onto Seymour's throat. "I said, 'Screw it,'" the Giants center would recall. "I was squeezing his trachea as hard as I could and not letting go." Choked by a 300-pound man, Seymour was temporarily disabled for the split-second that allowed Manning to get away. O'Hara gambled that the officials would miss his WWE move, and miss it they sure as hell did. If they threw a flag there, the Patriots would have ended up 19-0."
https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/8/5/...-bowl-scramble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or