U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:32 PM

16,860 posts, read 9,158,631 times

Advertisements

Hasn't there been a lot of hypocrisy from the conference championships?

1) Andy Reid is complaining that the refs threw the offside penalty that negated a late interception, because they didn't warn his player that he was offside. Refs are not required to tell a player if they are lined up offside and he was factually lined up offside - it was a legit penalty. The Patriots had 3 timeouts...but with only 58 seconds left...likely couldn't have won had the interception stood...but Kansas City was clearly offside. Period.

Had the Patriots lost the game couldn't they be upset that Kansas City ran a blatant pick that went for big yards and set up a 1st and Goal from the New England 2. Had the refs made that correct call it would have been 2nd and 25 from the Kansas City 45 yard line instead of 1st and Goal at the 2. There is a good chance that Kansas City doesn't get any points on that drive had the refs made the correct call.

Point is...calls were missed both ways. Andy Reid is focusing on the refs making a call against him - that technically was the correct call.

2) I saw Kansas City fans criticizing Tom Brady for tracking down Mahomes after the game to say a good word - because Brady supposedly only did it to atone for not congratulating Foles after last years Super Bowl.

Uhhh...why did Brady have to track down Mahomes to begin with? Because Mahomes didn't stick around to congratulate Brady after the AFC Championship game.

It is hard to wait patiently after a significant and heart wrenching loss while your opponent celebrates wildly to simply shake a hand for a second. So I don't fault the players for not waiting...but you can't hate Brady for not congratulating Foles...but then accept Mahomes walking off without congratulating Brady either.

3) Rams vs New Orleans....Refs messed up...but the refs messed up against BOTH teams in ways that could have tilted the game.

The refs were simply bad...and both teams have gripes...if the refs called a perfect game the entire game...it wouldn't guarantee a Saints win.

https://larrybrownsports.com/footbal...-saints/481704

Old 01-23-2019, 09:39 PM

32,542 posts, read 26,457,600 times
the problem isnt just the refs making or missing calls, good or bad, its also the fans and players/coaches that make a big deal out of a single bad call. be it a non call on a pass interference, or a missed face mask penalty, or a bad ruling by the replay booth, or what ever. often times these calls are made with plenty of time left on the clock for one team or the other to make plays and change the outcome of the game.

for instance, in the dallas/green bay game a few years ago, the ruling on the field was a catch by deez bryant, the replay booth overturned the call, bad call imo, but there was still 4 1/2 minutes left in the game for the cowboys to still win the game.

one or two bad calls/missed calls does not make the whole game. get over it.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,973,947 times
The calls are definitely game altering but I also strongly believe in time management and play calling.

Mahomes taking the ball down the field and tying it up with 30 plus seconds to go is a prime example.

We have seen quite a few games decided or should I say taken away from those teams in the lead in the last two minutes.

Good QB's and teams can perform miracles in two minutes. Missed calls can be back breakers but they can also be a distraction emotionally to the team on the losing end and while they could have still iced the game, they lost focus.

It is those decisions made in the final minutes or seconds that can change the outcome.

As far as Brady tracking down Mahomes..........I wasn't there but I think that was Yoda talking to the young Jedi. If Mahomes had four more minutes in the second half there is no telling what would of happened. Brady sees a kid with a heck of a lot of talent and quite possibly the next QB to have a storied future in the NFL!

Old 01-24-2019, 05:12 AM

1,004 posts, read 392,983 times
You're wasting your time Michiganmoon. Saints fans are only interested in their narrow minded version of what happened and are relishing playing a victim's role. I think most people are tired of their whining by now. As soon as the Superbowl starts, these games will be yesterday's news and most people will move on (most already have). In the meantime, the bitter and broken Saints fans and the gamblers that got their butts handed to them last week will continue to cry in their beer over the coulda, shoulda, woulda, that didn't happen and is not going to be overturned despite some frivolous lawsuit. Simply a bunch of sore losers.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:20 AM

1,004 posts, read 392,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
The calls are definitely game altering but I also strongly believe in time management and play calling.

Mahomes taking the ball down the field and tying it up with 30 plus seconds to go is a prime example.

We have seen quite a few games decided or should I say taken away from those teams in the lead in the last two minutes.

Good QB's and teams can perform miracles in two minutes. Missed calls can be back breakers but they can also be a distraction emotionally to the team on the losing end and while they could have still iced the game, they lost focus.

It is those decisions made in the final minutes or seconds that can change the outcome.

As far as Brady tracking down Mahomes..........I wasn't there but I think that was Yoda talking to the young Jedi. If Mahomes had four more minutes in the second half there is no telling what would of happened. Brady sees a kid with a heck of a lot of talent and quite possibly the next QB to have a storied future in the NFL!
Unfortunately, this mentality is right up there with the baseball player that says "we've got to really get focused because every game counts now" (in reference to games in late August and September). In reality, the games back in June were just as important as those games late in the season.

It's no different with football. The game is 60 minutes. Something that happens in the first few seconds of a game can easily carry just as much weight as something that happens in the last few seconds (some people just can't figure that one out). If a coach or a team can't maintain their composure through adversity, then they don't deserve to win (Sean Payton being a perfect example of that as he kept complaining well after the play was over and completely lost his mind...so sad, too bad...maybe he should have been focusing on the game at hand?). The Rams could have easily lost their composure in the first half of that game when they were clearly behind the 8 ball. And yet, one of the youngest coaches in the league kept his cool and showed the seasoned vet in Payton, how it's done. I think more than just a few people think Sean Payton is one of the most overrated coaches in football (he's simply another Mike McCarthy...blessed with one of the most talented players to ever play the game with only one Superbowl to show for it).

Old 01-24-2019, 06:20 AM

14,061 posts, read 7,496,207 times
As a fan, I only remember the bad calls that impact my team. It's human nature. Until technology improves to the point where computers and software can referee an NFL game from a few dozen video feeds, there are going to be mistakes. Even then, there are always going to be things that are inconclusive.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:04 AM

11,733 posts, read 11,576,448 times
As an older fan (probably "much" older than some fans), I can't get into all this shoulda, woulda, coulda stuff. To me, entertainment, things happen and I get over it. Every team probably can claim moments, fans talk about things a long time, it is what fans do these days. Packer fans still talk about the Fail Mary game, replacement refs.

I listen to fans say certain teams are favored, get all the breaks, Pats have it too easy with their division, Packers never get called as much as other teams, it is endless. With the internet, fans have a gazillion places to get information and the latest hot takes, constantly fueling the fire.

Bottom line, don't let games get to this point, Saints scored 2 FGs in the red zone, they really could have put the game away early. Chiefs couldn't stop Pats marching down the field to score, so Brady and the Pats are at fault? The OT rules are wrong? It is sports, entertainment, nothing is prefect but it isn't life and death. It isn't worth someone in government wasting time on this, are you kidding me, with all the other issues, you want to bring this up? Perspective, people, perspective.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:42 AM

2,270 posts, read 887,832 times
On the second Brady interception (the one that went off Edelman's hands) you can see a full two seconds after the tip, Chiefs linebacker Anthony Hitchens levels Edelman with a shot to the head. This occurs after the interception and a full two seconds after Edelman touched the ball. It looks like Hitchens was trying to block Edelman, but there's no mitigating circumstances with head shots. That should be a penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoKJfkQnxHk

But so what? As you say, these things happen.

In.
Every.
Game.

And, no, officiating has not gotten worse. Fans have turned into complete snowflakes who have meltdowns and can't get over non-perfection in officiating. Partly this is exacerbated by far better (and far more) camera angles than in the past, which exposes more mistakes. But that's no excuse.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Quarterbacks fail to see open receivers.
Blockers miss blocks.
DBs blow coverages.
Players jump offside at critical moments in which the risk of penalty is absolutely not worth whatever gain was to be had from timing the jump correctly.
Coaches unwisely throw flags in cases in which the call was obviously right or in situations in which the potential gain by an overturn is not worth the risk of losing a timeout (or a challenge) anyway.

And yet the same fans who accept that these things are inevitable and part of the game turn into quivering wrecks when an official gets a call wrong.

It.
Happens.

Deal with it.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,967,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
On the second Brady interception (the one that went off Edelman's hands) you can see a full two seconds after the tip, Chiefs linebacker Anthony Hitchens levels Edelman with a shot to the head.
I noticed that one as well. Brutal. Should have been a personal foul after the play.

As for the New Orleans situation, that was an awful non-call. The DB ran right through the WR and was there before the ball. Given the situation, it definitely cost the Saints the game. Might be the single worse case of bad officiating in the history of the NFL playoffs. BTW, I am not a Saints fan.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:20 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,348,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
1) Andy Reid is complaining that the refs threw the offside penalty that negated a late interception, because they didn't warn his player that he was offside. Refs are not required to tell a player if they are lined up offside and he was factually lined up offside - it was a legit penalty. The Patriots had 3 timeouts...but with only 58 seconds left...likely couldn't have won had the interception stood...but Kansas City was clearly offside. Period.
While this is true, on offense pre-snap help does happen when the two officials on the end of the line of scrimmage, the down judge and the line judge, help the wide receiver by extending a foot signifying where the actual line of scrimmage is. ... A quick nod of the head from the official lets the player know that he is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or