U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:51 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times

Advertisements

I would never want to go to a Super Bowl that my team was playing in. Rather watch that in front of a big screen. With the ability to know exactly what is going on at all times. But if I came across cheap tickets and didn't have to spend a ton on traveling I could see going to a super bowl for the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 09:35 AM

13,044 posts, read 15,400,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I would never want to go to a Super Bowl that my team was playing in. Rather watch that in front of a big screen. With the ability to know exactly what is going on at all times. But if I came across cheap tickets and didn't have to spend a ton on traveling I could see going to a super bowl for the experience.
That's how my husband feels about regular season games too. We had season tickets one year and he said he just prefers to watch it on TV where he knows exactly what's going on.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:38 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,401,654 times
I and my family went to SB XXI in '87, Broncos vs. Giants. We were big fans and had attended most all of the home games for a few years but never had "rights" to season tickets. We started looking for season rights along with SB tickets when the Broncos won the conference. I found four good seats for $12K, iirc, which are still in the family. Home is 350 miles from Denver in northern Wyoming, so it's always been quite a trip.

The game was at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. We had relatives in Santa Monica so stayed there and didn't spend a whole lot on anything, but it was a long trip to watch the Broncos lay an egg. We went early to avoid the traffic, like 7 a.m.!

I'll have to admit that it wasn't a great game to see.

First off, the Rose Bowl isn't much of a stadium by modern standards. Our seats were near the top in the end zone, and because of the way the Rose Bowl was built, that's a long, long way from the field. Weather was great, however!

It seemed the majority of spectators were there for "the event" rather than to cheer on their team. It was the quietest pro game I've ever attended. For that matter, I don't think I've been to a college or high school game that quiet.

The best game for fans is probably the one when your team hosts the conference title game, if that ever happens. Those will have mostly fans of the home team and will get loud and crazy, just the way NFL games are supposed to be.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:30 PM

6,449 posts, read 3,459,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I went to that Superbowl at Metlife field. First SB I ever went to, and probably will be the last.

It was a logistics nightmare. Security dictated that every ticket holder HAD to take either the special train or the official bus to the stadium. So had to go through security at Madison Sq Garden to get on the train, and then again at the stadium. Security was just like at the airport... metal detectors, people looking in your bag/purse, getting frisked, etc... Took over 3 hours to get from MSG into the stadium. And then over 4 hours to get back onto the train to get back to MSG after game was over. Absolute cluster. Lines were longer than NYPD had set barricades to form the lines, so it was at total moshpit.

Didn't get back to our hotel in Manhattan until after 2am.

I'll never go again just to be treated like cattle. Much rather watch in my living room or at friend's house.

Just not worth it.
I've never been to a Super Bowl. I have several clients who have gone multiple times, and they've told me their war stories. At a minimum I have an idea of what it's like. But this year I did go to Game #1 of the World Series at Fenway. I got into Boston at 10A.M. and parked in my usual garage (seasons tickets) just to see a World Series day unfold. Bars were crowded, but didn't seem much more than a Friday night Yankees game. We have a bar/restaurant hopping routine that gets us decent appetizers and many drinks prior to the game. We (my daughter-in-law came with me) starting drinking earlier so we could get into the park on the earlier side. That didn't work out as we were prevented to get to our seats for near 1/2 hour due to lightning (and strikes were close). An uptick in overall activity yes, but nothing glaring. Once the game started it was a game. Afterwards, had our nightcap at the Bleacher Bar and headed home.

I think a one and done sudden death game has much more pomp and circumstance associated with it than a series game where potentially 4 games could be played at home. Based on the stories I've heard and yours, it's what I imagined, a CF as you say. No thank you. I have totally enjoyed 8 times prior watching in my living room alone with apps and rum, and enjoy.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:06 PM

1,014 posts, read 578,153 times
I absolutely hate dealing with crowds. Only way would be if I was VIP with with special parking, section, etc. So, will probably never go unless I won these tix since I am sure these come with celebrity prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or