U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:58 AM

965 posts, read 383,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Get real, I'm just saying it happened. I didn't say I condoned it. Yes, I'm saying it was wrong and if I were sitting next to him I would have turned him in. The "easily offended crowd by any statement" can relax now. If it makes you happy, I believe Trump was behind it.
Well, when someone states "Viking fans at least have a small degree of revenge against the blind umpire", it tends to imply the poster believes it was deserved. Yeah, not easily offended by nonsense. Just laughing at the silliness of so much fuss over a game. You can settle down now.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:59 AM

1,182 posts, read 479,694 times
My feeling for all such things is this: don't let the game get so close that a ref's decision can beat you. If you do, it's your own darned fault should it happen.

I say put the game away as soon as possible.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 AM

28,502 posts, read 15,458,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
There really isn't any new information out there. It's pretty cut and dried.
That's your profession. It seems like you should hold yourself to a different standard than gossiping about pending cases.

Nothing personal... just seems strange to me.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:20 AM

13,046 posts, read 15,400,418 times
There have always been bad calls, some in your favor and some not. You can’t go around overturning game results. I don’t want to see a Patriots/Rams Super Bowl any more than anyone else, but that’s what we’re stuck with. Best case scenario at this point is Rams beating the Patriots.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:38 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,552,037 times
I think back to the playoffs where Dallas eliminated the Lions on a series of bad calls, Packers eliminated Dallas on the infamous Dez catch, then gave up a lead to the Seahawks in a game they should have won, Seahawks lose to the Pats on a last minute INT. All kinds of Karma that year, you can find many articles about the officiating and 4 years later, here we are still talking about it.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:53 AM

51,974 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Bottom line folks is that the NFL is a private organization and so their decision is going to typically be final with regards to their own championships.

No judge in America is going to laughably interject themselves into that and the complete crapstorm as "superfans" would then sue after every single loss.

New Orleans got screwed. If you are really peeved then stop watching football.

Heck, I mostly gave up on MLB a while back and am done with the NBA at this point too.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Yes of course. Feel free to identify with anything you want.
It is 2019 after all.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,859,729 times
What do you say about the number of bad calls that seemed to all go against the Rams leading up to the one bad call that went against the Saints? Do we need to restart the game at the midway point of the fourth quarter? Where do you draw the line?

Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 AM

51,974 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
What do you say about the number of bad calls that seemed to all go against the Rams leading up to the one bad call that went against the Saints? Do we need to restart the game at the midway point of the fourth quarter? Where do you draw the line?
Keep in mind, I've already said this should be done and buried, it's a dead issue and the Superbowl won't miss a beat.

While I agree with the sentiment about both sides getting bad calls, there is clearly a difference between bad calls or no-calls and truly egregious calls.

It's like a range of judgment and both teams are going to get some benefit and harm from those through the course of a game.

However, when you have a long pass with all eyes on the action, nothing obstructing the view and so forth then you start to fall outside of that range.

We have these discussion all the time about "grey area" as it applies to a variety of topics. I'm just saying that there is a clear difference between that and egregious.

regardless, enjoy the superbowl Sunday because that's a done deal.

P.S. I would note that blown calls reaching a level outside of a reasonable range starts to shake fan faith that everything is on the up and up. So, I would expect some response from the league
in situations like that. Maybe they get to use their challenges for calls as well, but only give them 2 per game or have it count against their existing challenge totals.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:32 AM

965 posts, read 383,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

While I agree with the sentiment about both sides getting bad calls, there is clearly a difference between bad calls or no-calls and truly egregious calls.

However, when you have a long pass with all eyes on the action, nothing obstructing the view and so forth then you start to fall outside of that range.
As much as you like to say that (and throw out that "egregious" word)...no, there is no difference. Not even looking at the other missed calls that benefited the Saints, the facemask against Goff would have given the Rams the ball, first and goal. The call was obvious and was mentioned by both Buck and Aikman and replayed before they went to commercial. The call against the Saints would have given them the ball, first and goal. What either team does with the ball had both calls been made is subjective, but the resulting penalty would be the same result (first and goal) for both teams as per NFL rules. The time at which it happened is irrelevant as is whether it was "egregious" or not. A penalty is a penalty. Trying to pretend that the Saints would equate to a better result is factually incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
P.S. I would note that blown calls reaching a level outside of a reasonable range starts to shake fan faith that everything is on the up and up. So, I would expect some response from the league in situations like that. Maybe they get to use their challenges for calls as well, but only give them 2 per game or have it count against their existing challenge totals.
And yet the fans still watch and the NFL is thriving as it always has. And as many posters have stated, this is not the first time teams have had a call go against them (and it won't be the last). There will always be a level of subjectivity on calls and there will be missed calls. To try and eliminate them will simply extend the games (one of the biggest complaints about the games...especially from younger people) and that will cause much more of a fan loss than a call like this will ever do. Just because Saints fans want to lose their cookies over this, doesn't mean we have to throw out the baby with the bath water. People are imperfect so you have situations like this. And to go to extremes to say that anyone that misses a call like this should be fired (not saying that you said this but it was mentioned by other posters) is absurd. The crew that officiates playoff games and the Superbowl are the top officials in the league. To dispose of them after one call would simply ensure that the games would be officiated at a lesser level and even more mistakes would be made.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 01-29-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or