U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:46 AM

1,189 posts, read 481,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Post season play does come into account for skill position players other than QB's. If it weren't for post season exploits unlikely that either Terrell Davis or Michael Irvin make the HOF.

There is also the idea that certain teams need to be represented for excellence whether the 85 Bears or 90's Bills which each have 4 players ( plus Levy, Polian and Wilson for Bills)
Not sold on the "whole teams" induction for the HoF, myself. It's often redundant, for one thing, as there are usually plenty of payers, coaches, or other personnel already in. If they do this, they need to look carefully at all periods and weigh all the options carefully, which may or may not happen.

Other than for QBs, the only players who defnitely appear to be in the HoF by counting regular and postseason play are Davis and Lynn Swann. Irvin is one of those players who, like Paul Warfield for sure and maybe Andre Reed, has the type of offense they played on factored in -- all played on run-heavy offenses that depressed their stats to a fair extent, though they still were pretty impressive nonetheless. I'm not sure postseason play was figured in with Irvin.

Problem is, it's so rare except in the case of QBs that it's not a significant enough occurrence to constitute a trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
This is why although I initially thought the idea of Edelman making it was ridiculous now not so sure....I think a case can be made.
No -- I agree with the guy above who mentioned Wes Welker. He's got a far better case playing the same position. Edelman's not getting in the HoF without a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 10:04 AM

4,292 posts, read 1,862,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
No -- I agree with the guy above who mentioned Wes Welker. He's got a far better case playing the same position. Edelman's not getting in the HoF without a ticket.
I think we disagree actually. Edleman is more of a lock for the Hall than Welker is. Edleman's post season success out weighs any advantages that Welker has with his regular season numbers.

Welker did not rise to the occasion in the playoffs like Edelman has and his numbers show this. Welker's post season YPR is over a full yard lower than his regular season YPR. Welker's most well known play in the postseason is a drop late in the super bowl against the Giants that would have sealed the game and a super bowl victory. It prompted Giselle to say that her husband can't both throw and catch the ball. Something that proved to be true in the second Eagles Super Bowl

On the other hand, Edelman's post season YPR is nearly 1.5 yards higher than his regular season YPR. And he has multiple big moments and plays that have lead to three rings.

And Welker's stats, while very good, just aren't quite HOF worthy IMO. One more season at a high level probably would have made him a lock. He does deserve consideration though and I would expect him to eventually get on the ballot.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:27 AM

1,189 posts, read 481,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I think we disagree actually. Edleman is more of a lock for the Hall than Welker is. Edleman's post season success out weighs any advantages that Welker has with his regular season numbers.

Welker did not rise to the occasion in the playoffs like Edelman has and his numbers show this. Welker's post season YPR is over a full yard lower than his regular season YPR. Welker's most well known play in the postseason is a drop late in the super bowl against the Giants that would have sealed the game and a super bowl victory. It prompted Giselle to say that her husband can't both throw and catch the ball. Something that proved to be true in the second Eagles Super Bowl

On the other hand, Edelman's post season YPR is nearly 1.5 yards higher than his regular season YPR. And he has multiple big moments and plays that have lead to three rings.

And Welker's stats, while very good, just aren't quite HOF worthy IMO. One more season at a high level probably would have made him a lock. He does deserve consideration though and I would expect him to eventually get on the ballot.

Fair enough on one thing -- I misspoke about Welker's likelihood of making the HoF. My suspicion is that he won't get in, either. But I think his chances are better than Edelman's given his regular season accomplishments are notably better. That matters a lot historically with the voters for RBs and WRs, while postseason success simply hasn't (except for Swann and Davis, of course, for whatever reason).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football