Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Super Bowl LIII the worse Super Bowl you’ve ever watched?
Yes 48 50.00%
No 48 50.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:29 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Good thing the Pats got there that season as the Bears showed they couldnt stop Marino then.
I really enjoyed that Monday night game.
The other 18 games must’ve been a bit too much for you then. You’ve had 34 years to recover at least.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 02-05-2019 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
It was indeed a sad day for the Rams and a huge triumph for Bill Belichick who created the defense that shut the Rams down. The Rams were the better team on paper, only, and their defense mostly contained the Pats.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:15 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
Agreed with those who don't think this is the worst Super Bowl ever. I don't mind watching a battle of defenses, and blowouts can get boring in a hurry if you're not invested in the winning team.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Just a prediction. Its widely believed that the NFL "helps" certain teams in the hopes of engineering a Superbowl that will result in the most interest, higher ratings and therefore more revenue from commercials.
If that was their hope this time around, they F'd up BIG TIME. Brady was supposed to be lifted to legendary status and he basically did nothing but show up. The Rams didn't even belong there. Viewership was way down from lack of interest and a negative opinion of the refs ability to call a straight game.
Expect the patriots to be no shows next year and to get no help from the refs to make it to the playoffs.
The Saints vs the Chiefs would have had better ratings. Choke on that, guys.
LOL, it's widely believed that the earth is flat and the moon landings were faked

Old 02-06-2019, 06:47 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Just a prediction. Its widely believed that the NFL "helps" certain teams in the hopes of engineering a Superbowl that will result in the most interest, higher ratings and therefore more revenue from commercials.
If that was their hope this time around, they F'd up BIG TIME. Brady was supposed to be lifted to legendary status and he basically did nothing but show up. The Rams didn't even belong there. Viewership was way down from lack of interest and a negative opinion of the refs ability to call a straight game.
Expect the patriots to be no shows next year and to get no help from the refs to make it to the playoffs.
The Saints vs the Chiefs would have had better ratings. Choke on that, guys.
Too much time in the political forum, eh?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:11 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Too much time in the political forum, eh?
IcyTea's post was not political.

I have run across many who think pro sports leagues are fixed.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:21 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Aesthetically there have definitely been worse Super Bowls. The 1995 Niners-Chargers game was over in five minutes. The Eighties and early Nineties were filled with games like that, blowouts decided before your second beer. Super Bowl V, in 1971, featured 11 turnovers and a missed extra point.

But Sunday’s game was 14 punts and four hours of offensive ineptitude capped by an ending that depressed everyone outside New England. The Patriots themselves struggled to conceal the mildness of their excitement over their just-good-enough win. Devin McCourty, yawning almost, called it “still a pretty good feeling.” Depending on your point of view was either an amusing middle finger to the rest of the country or the ultimate testament to their vile corporate personality, or both.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...boring-790136/

Old 02-06-2019, 08:26 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
IcyTea's post was not political.

I have run across many who think pro sports leagues are fixed.
Political forum = people who will believe in anything.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I don’t mind a blowout. Super Bowl XX, when the Bears demolished the Patriots was a thing of beauty. Of course I’m a Bears fan. But at least in a blowout one team is exhibiting something exceptional. Except for the punting, there was nothing exceptional about this year’s game.
I think most people figure a close score, even if it's 0-0 after 3 and 1/2 quarters, is a "competitive" game and therefore more exciting than a game with far more "action" but a lopsided score. There is a certain logic to that even if I disagree with it.

I don't mind a blowout if the quality of play is exceptional. Think Tiger Woods winning the Masters by 12 strokes in '97. Nobody really cared that it wasn't a "competitive" tournament because Tiger was putting on a show. I'm not sure a more competitive Masters with players hitting bogeys left and right would have been preferable to Tiger's brilliant domination.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:45 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,024 times
I wouldn't say it was the worst Super Bowl ever. Check out the stats for Super Bowl V. Even after the Colts won that game, many of the players on that team didn't feel like winners. However, it was definitely a bad ending for a great season. The Regular season had so many great games, and the playoffs overall were really good, so the expectation for this game was through the roof, and it just came off as a dud. I can appreciate a great defense as well, but sorry a 3-3 score going into the fourth quarter is just not exciting.

I will also say, even though the game wasn't the worse I ever seen, the Super Bowl experience was the worst for me in my life. Even if a game was bad, I could at least well the commercials were really good, or the half time show was really good. Other than the Avengers commercial early before the game, nothing at all impressed me for the rest of the night. Ok, I have to admit I did like 100 anniversary commercial that was funny, but other than that..eh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football