U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Super Bowl LIII the worse Super Bowl you’ve ever watched?
Yes 48 50.00%
No 48 50.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:53 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,732,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I contributed to the low ratings, turned it off after the bogus defenseless receiver call against LA.
Was he supposed to stand there, and wait for the receiver to look at him prior to tackling; at game speed from 3 feet away?.

The game is a shell of its' former self, and the Pats are a tired old story nobody outside of NE is interested in anymore.
Haters gonna hate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 04:46 PM

5,467 posts, read 2,303,735 times
In terms of recent games, it sucks to the millionth power.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,512,728 times
I wont say it was the worse SB I have watched, but the worse part to me was after the first couple of possessions or so, I knew the Rams werent going to win. In this way, it was like a blowout to me. Yeah, the score was close, but to me the outcome was already decided...like a blowout.

Plus, just what is the definition of a defensive battle? I dont need every score to be 52-49, and I am glad this game wasnt that...but every time defenses step up, the narrative turns into "The offenses were inept."

Maybe the defenses made them inept?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 PM

705 posts, read 536,864 times
Bears fan here...

I have to say the Bears 46-10 victory over wild card New England was boring. The outcome was clear early on, even though NE scored first on a FG after a turnover. By early in the 3rd quarter, it was more of wondering how long we would watch the backups play until the victory celebration could start.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:38 AM

962 posts, read 382,754 times
A definitive YES!

I can't help but laugh at people that say this was a great defensive game. Uh, no it was not. When QBs are bouncing the ball to receivers and overthrowing them, even though they weren't touched by a defensive lineman, that is just ineptness on the part of the offense. Twice Goff threw the ball late to wide open receivers in the end zone. Is the fact that a safety or cornerback blew an assignment and only able to recover because the QB threw the ball late, good defensive coverage? I think not. There were only 5 sacks and neither Brady or Goff looked any worse for wear as they were walking off the field at the end of the game (it wasn't like the Den/Carolina game when Newton had to be given IVs just to get back on the field for the 2nd half because he was being pounded so bad). If it was such a great defensive game, then go ahead and name some of these outstanding plays that apparently the majority of the country missed. There were only 3 interceptions, not one was impressive at all and no forced fumbles. I'm sorry to say, but even in the blowouts people are talking about, there were some impressive plays. There was nothing noteworthy on any side of the ball in this game. Give it up people. This game sucked! And it was indeed one of the most boring Superbowls ever played. I had $2k bet on this game (mostly on the Patriots and the proposition wagers for the Patriots players). I literally told my wife in the 4th quarter, "just let me know if any team gets inside the 30" and started organizing my tax forms for my accountant. I can't recall ever having that much money riding on a game and just thinking "the hell with this..I can't watch any more". I wish I could get the Nielsen figures on how many people just turned the thing off. I suspect at most parties, people were more into their conversations then watching this dull-fest as the game progress. Not to mention, the commercials and the halftime show also sucked. I'm just glad the Patriots won as I would have been furious losing a bunch of money and being submitted to something so boring, I would have rather watched paint dry.

Last edited by JJonesIII; 02-14-2019 at 02:47 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 05:36 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,293,059 times
I watched with glee.....how sweet it is to be a Pats fan.
You people will be bumming next year when it's SB number 7 in Miami.
Pat's have 12 draft picks this year....6 are in the early rounds.
Belichick will load up with big,strong and young guards and tackles
Gilmore will be back and stay clean......Brady has 10 fingers.It's not out of the question

Old 02-15-2019, 01:28 AM

962 posts, read 382,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I watched with glee.....how sweet it is to be a Pats fan.
You people will be bumming next year when it's SB number 7 in Miami.
Pat's have 12 draft picks this year....6 are in the early rounds.
Belichick will load up with big,strong and young guards and tackles
Gilmore will be back and stay clean......Brady has 10 fingers.It's not out of the question
You people? Hilarious. Do you think Pats fans and people that wagered on them didn't think that game was boring? Get a grip. I have a friend that has probably been rooting for the Pats before you were born and thought the game was awful. This isn't a anti-Pats thing even if you want to try and make it one.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:30 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,831,702 times
Hell no lol. It wasn't the best for sure, but worst?

I've been watching the NFL since SB34/1999 season. Just a couple candidates for worse games:

--SB48 (Seahawks/Broncos) was great if you were rooting for the Seahawks, and I enjoyed it because I was. But it was pretty embarrassing and uncompetitive...

--SB47 (Ravens/49ers) was pretty boring until the 4th quarter. Was not impressed with the vast majority of that game...

--SB46 (Giants/Patriots) was hyped up like crazy and was competitive but wasn't much more exciting than this one...

--SB41 (Colts/Bears), oh my God what a boring game...

--SB40 (Steelers/Seahawks) is the worst Super Bowl I have ever seen. I hated that game. ALL TIME BAD...

--SB39 (Patriots/Eagles) was not a great game...

--SB37 (Buccaneers/Raiders) was not a great game...

--SB35 (Ravens/Giants) was SB48 before SB48. Exciting if you were rooting for the Ravens (I was), but an otherwise miserable game...

I'd say these are the 8 worst Super Bowls I've watched, and somewhere in there you can drop SB53for the 9 worst Super Bowls I've watched. SB53 was absolutely better than 40 and 41. It falls in the same category of some of the blowout games (35, 37, 48) that weren't that bad, but also weren't great games. I also would say it was better than Patriot showings in 39 and 46...

Old 02-16-2019, 01:35 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,550,474 times
As I've said before I would like to know how old people are, how long they've been watching football! Murk has it right, many SB games worse than this one. It is entertainment, don't like it, turn it off, problem fixed!

Old 02-16-2019, 09:47 PM

2,123 posts, read 4,319,156 times
I've watched them all I think. My perspective on the game has probably changed and I've learned some over the decades. This was an OK game, some drama which the uninvested fan can hope for.

I'm 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or