U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Super Bowl LIII the worse Super Bowl you’ve ever watched?
Yes 48 50.00%
No 48 50.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 PM

5,296 posts, read 2,693,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I don't know about a highlight, But Goff's missing a WIDE open Brandin Cooks was an all time low light.
Maybe that record breaking 65 yard punt was the highlight... figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 08:48 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,456,304 times
If you've been sold on the NFL's push for offense and scoring, or if you simply dislike the Patriots, then you probably thought this Super Bowl was the worst.

If you're simply a Patriots fan, of course it wasn't even close to the worse. Winning #6 could have been the best.

If you are a long time football fan, then if you think it was the worst then you've lost touch with football. This was an old school smash mouth football game. Both defense played hard, and it took one drive by Brady to finish off the Rams. At any point during this game, a big defensive play (Gilmore) could have made the difference. And the punters/special teams were awesome making this a chess match of field position.

Nah, this wasn't even close to the worst Super Bowl.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:23 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,113,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Maybe that record breaking 65 yard punt was the highlight... figures.

That was a really nice punt. Definitely one of the few highlights.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:19 AM

2,270 posts, read 879,955 times
No.

I like defense. But then, the best baseball game I ever watched was a 1-0, 10 inning game.

It probably sucked for the football-ADD crowd. You know, the type who think that nearly 1000 combined yards passing and the complete and utter inability of any DB to cover anyone at all on the field (see; Super Bowl LII) is the pinnacle of the sport.

I feel sorry for them.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,230,719 times
Honestly, what makes it a snoozefest isn't so much the defensive battle. It was the fact of watching the Patriots, yet again, when it all. The commercials were bad, the halftime performance was bad (unless your a middle-aged house wife), the game just didn't seem "super" to me. No, I'm not advocating for blow-outs. Blow-outs are boring as well (unless it's my team blowing out their opponent). It's just at this point, the only folks who get excited watching the Patriots play in another Super Bowl are Patriots fans. Everybody else is ready for that dynasty to be over and to see other teams play in the Super Bowl. By the sound of it, it sounds like we have at least another three years of Tom Brady. My assumption is Bill Belichick rides off into the sunset with Brady when he retires.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:33 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Everyone has a different perception, but lopsided scores aren't fun. Goff's "deer in the headlights" look wasn't a good thing and his hesitation throwing the ball wasn't good, still can't go with the worst though.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Honestly, what makes it a snoozefest isn't so much the defensive battle. It was the fact of watching the Patriots, yet again, when it all. The commercials were bad, the halftime performance was bad (unless your a middle-aged house wife), the game just didn't seem "super" to me. No, I'm not advocating for blow-outs. Blow-outs are boring as well (unless it's my team blowing out their opponent). It's just at this point, the only folks who get excited watching the Patriots play in another Super Bowl are Patriots fans. Everybody else is ready for that dynasty to be over and to see other teams play in the Super Bowl. By the sound of it, it sounds like we have at least another three years of Tom Brady. My assumption is Bill Belichick rides off into the sunset with Brady when he retires.
The Patriots fatigue is real for sure. Turn on the Super Bowl, and 50% of the time one of the teams are the Patriots. But too bad for the rest of the teams because they simply continue not to get it right. The Patriots pick at the bottom of the first round every year, but they still win. They get players who have a team first win first mentality over money. Those who want more money leave Foxboro. Some players restructure their contracts and get paid less than they deserve to keep the winning atmosphere - yeah, we know who that is (Brady). The Patriots draft and sign players who are multi-faceted, other teams don't. Belichick want tight ends that block. He wants backs that can catch. He gets defensive players who can flip positions and still be relevant. And they win, consistently, while other teams scramble.

To those haters and detractors - Don't get mad at the Patriots, get mad at your own team. The NFL and Goodell are doing everything they can to have parity, to give other teams a chance. It's the other teams fault for not figuring out how to win consistently in the NFL. The Pats don't win the Super Bowl every year, but other teams that do win one somehow disappear. The Pats are in the mix every year.

People are focusing on the wrong thing, and that's hating on the Pats and Brady. Turn your attention to your own team and start yelling at them on how to get it right. Until then, it's the Patriots and everyone else.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 02-05-2019 at 07:43 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 07:30 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Good post and I've been saying this for a long time! My niece is a Chargers fan, I told her don't hate on the Patriots, hate on the teams that can't get their act together.

It isn't the Pats fault they haven't had competition in their division, they don't hire, fire, build those teams! Sure, it would be nice to see other teams in the SB. I get it, I wanted Rams to put up a good showing, win, but I don't hate the Patriots. As a long time fan (probably much older than many posting here), you have to acknowledge what the Pats have accomplished.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:53 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
If you are a long time football fan, then if you think it was the worst then you've lost touch with football. This was an old school smash mouth football game.
I'm a long-time fan (college and NFL) and I think this was the worst Super Bowl game in history. As a matter of empirical fact, it was the lowest-scoring game in Super Bowl history. You would be hard-pressed to explain why this particular game was better than all of the other low scoring games of the past.

And no, this was not "old school smashmouth football." The Rams dropped back to pass 42 times compared to 18 rushes. That's the exact opposite of "old school smashmouth football."

Old 02-05-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm a long-time fan (college and NFL) and I think this was the worst Super Bowl game in history. As a matter of empirical fact, it was the lowest-scoring game in Super Bowl history. You would be hard-pressed to explain why this particular game was better than all of the other low scoring games of the past.

And no, this was not "old school smashmouth football." The Rams dropped back to pass 42 times compared to 18 rushes. That's the exact opposite of "old school smashmouth football."
That's your call and that's fine. We all watch games differently.

Smash mouth is more than handoffs. It's about line play. It was brutal on both sides of the ball. And I personally felt that thinking that every snap could be a difference maker made the game intriguing to me. The game felt that way from the beginning - it was who would dominate the line would win. Call me biased because I'm a Pats fan. So be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or