U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Super Bowl LIII the worse Super Bowl you’ve ever watched?
Yes 48 50.00%
No 48 50.00%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 AM

22,875 posts, read 19,295,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Exactly. Blowouts tend to only be good if the team that is doing the blowing out is one you are really rooting for.
Even when I am watching The Patriots massacre a team, I sometimes turn the game off because THAT, to me is boring. I don't like a blowout in any game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:18 PM

28,265 posts, read 26,231,676 times
Quote:
I feel like the Chargers vs. 49ers super bowl was pretty bad. Wasn't that one over by the end of the 1st quarter?
It was 28-10 by halftime. As the Patriots showed a couple of years ago, that isn't "over" by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely not the most exciting game. However, it is still better than 3-0 at halftime.

Someone said earlier that there were no highlights in this game. Not a single memorable play. The most memorable plays were a punt and a missed, wide open TD pass.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:28 PM

4,292 posts, read 1,857,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not a single memorable play. Tand a missed, wide open TD pass.
You mean a terrific defensive play by McCourty? It was a late throw but still a great defensive play.

Unlike the Patriots comeback, the 49ers stretched that lead to 42-10 coming out of the half.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
You mean a terrific defensive play by McCourty? It was a late throw but still a great defensive play.
I don't think it was even a great defensive play. If Desean Jackson, as he often did, ran parallel to the goal line instead of running into the endzone and got tackled at the 1 yard line, would we say the defender made a great play? In this case, the bad pass was more memorable than the defensive play.

Alex Kirshner of SB Nation said it best IMO.

Quote:
I love defense. One of my closest friends is a defensive coordinator. I found this game to be a function of bad offense more than good defense, particularly as it related to Goff not being able to make throws a current Pac-12 QB should make.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/...-patriots-rams

It's interesting because only a few weeks ago we were talking about some of the coverage busts in the college football national championship game. People were saying stuff like "All he did was throw it to an open receiver." Well, this game showed that 1. coverage busts happen all the time even at the highest level of the game and 2. it apparently must not be that easy to recognize coverage busts since Goff missed about 4 of them in total.

Quote:
Unlike the Patriots comeback, the 49ers stretched that lead to 42-10 coming out of the half.
Not saying that it was a great game. It just wasn't worse than this one.

For all the "defense lovers" BTW.

Quote:
If people loved above average defense and bad offense as much as they're pretending to in the comments, there'd be a lot more Titans fans.
LOL.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Even when I am watching The Patriots massacre a team, I sometimes turn the game off because THAT, to me is boring. I don't like a blowout in any game.
A blowout doesn't have to be as dry as what we saw on Sunday. Alabama-Clemson IV was a blowout and it still had some incredible moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6rbq1cpP8g

Anyone care to post a link to a comparable play from Sunday?

Old 02-05-2019, 01:30 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,545,104 times
We're talking a college game versus NFL? I turned that game off, it was ridiculous, no excitement there.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I don't think it was even a great defensive play. If Desean Jackson, as he often did, ran parallel to the goal line instead of running into the endzone and got tackled at the 1 yard line, would we say the defender made a great play? In this case, the bad pass was more memorable than the defensive play.
No way. It was only bad in that it was a late read. The pass still got their and still would have been an easy TD if it wasn't for great hustle and the stretching to break it up.

A truly bad pass would have been one that sailed over Cook's head or one he only got fingertips on.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
If people loved above average defense and bad offense as much as they're pretending to in the comments, there'd be a lot more Titans fans.
Quote:

LOL.
Like the millions of Bears fans? Their history is almost entirely great defense and crappy offense.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
A blowout doesn't have to be as dry as what we saw on Sunday. Alabama-Clemson IV was a blowout and it still had some incredible moments.

Anyone care to post a link to a comparable play from Sunday?
Robert Woods had a great grab on the sideline. Not sure if he actually got his first foot down with possession or not but I doubt it would have been overturned even if it were reviewed.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
No way. It was only bad in that it was a late read. The pass still got their and still would have been an easy TD if it wasn't for great hustle and the stretching to break it up.
Being late on a wide open pass is egregious enough. Then it was a slow and wobbly pass on top of that.

Quote:
But it was nobody else’s fault that Goff waited too long before throwing a wobbly ball to an open Brandin Cooks in the end zone, giving Jason McCourty time to break it up.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/...-rams-reaction

Quote:
A truly bad pass would have been one that sailed over Cook's head or one he only got fingertips on.
The pass wasn't a good one but that's not the issue here. You said McCourty made a great defensive play. I don't consider that a great defensive play. A great defensive play is when J.J. Watt breaks a double team and gets a sack. A great defensive play is when a corner reads the eyes of the QB and jumps a route. A great defensive play is when a DE doesn't give up on a play and chases down an RB or a WR on a bubble screen. A great defensive play is not, IMHO, when a QB is 1.5 seconds late on a read and throws a ball that the average college DB could track down. That's exactly what should happen when a QB throws a wobbly ball way behind schedule. The DB or safety should not get extra credit for that especially when it was a bust leading to the WR being so open in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or