Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 01:11 PM

156 posts, read 440,245 times

Advertisements

This question is for those who participate in football pools or picks or whatever you want to call it.

Some people from my family do the weekly picks during the regular season (we play for bragging rights). We just pick who we think will win each game and whoever has the most correct picks wins for the week. When playoffs start, we start fresh again. Whoever has the most correct picks at the end of the playoffs is the winner. Then there's the Super Bowl, whoever has the correct pick and the score closest to the actual game score wins. Whoever wins the Super Bowl pick is considered the overall winner. This seems stupid to me. Doesn't it make more sense for the overall winner to be the one who has the highest number of correct picks at the end of the entire football season (from week 1 through the Super Bowl)?

I'm just curious as to how others do this. I'm wondering why I even participate in anything prior to the Super Bowl. Of course, I could just be annoyed because I have the highest overall score by several points and should already be declared the overall winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 04:49 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
I'm not following you. Reading your post multiple times it sounds like you have indicated there's a regular season winner, playoffs winner and "overall" winner. Is there payouts after each tier?

Old 07-25-2019, 12:14 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Typically I just do an eliminator picks contest. Pick one team you are sure will win each week. If that team wins, you cannot use them for the rest of the regular season. Whoever survives the longest wins.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
picking winners and losers in the NFL is basically SWAG(scientific wild assed guess). most of the time picking winners is kind of esay, you have two teams going into say week 11, one team is 9-1 and dominating, the other is lucky to be 3-7 and loses to weak teams. so naturally you pick the better team, only to have them lose on sunday because the weak team stepped up, maybe they got a few players back from injury, or they picked up a couple of players to bolster their ranks, or what ever. the best you can do is go with your gut feeling, after watching everything every team did during the week leading up to the game, and note the history between the teams.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:38 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I think I'm following what is being said. To me, the person who does the best during the 16 week season is #1. We do picks here for bragging rights, and it is whoever does the best all season. Some pick the playoffs and SB, too but the main thing is the regular season (no money involved).

Old 07-25-2019, 05:04 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
picking winners and losers in the NFL is basically SWAG(scientific wild assed guess). most of the time picking winners is kind of esay, you have two teams going into say week 11, one team is 9-1 and dominating, the other is lucky to be 3-7 and loses to weak teams. so naturally you pick the better team, only to have them lose on sunday because the weak team stepped up, maybe they got a few players back from injury, or they picked up a couple of players to bolster their ranks, or what ever. the best you can do is go with your gut feeling, after watching everything every team did during the week leading up to the game, and note the history between the teams.
Basically yes
A few things to consider are home field advantage, injuries, Vegas lines, etc
Consider obvious things too.....a Cardinal could not beat an Eagle...Cardinals may be mean, but Eagles are just too powerful. In a conflict between a Tiger, such as a Bengal, and a Lion, the Tiger will always win.
As for Cowboys vs Indians, well look who won the West.

Today 04:38 PM
susancruzs I think I'm following what is being said. To me, the person who does the best during the 16 week season is #1. We do picks here for bragging rights, and it is whoever does the best all season. Some pick the playoffs and SB, too but the main thing is the regular season (no money involved).

And we do it with Humor and In color

Old 07-26-2019, 12:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Basically yes
A few things to consider are home field advantage, injuries, Vegas lines, etc
Consider obvious things too.....a Cardinal could not beat an Eagle...Cardinals may be mean, but Eagles are just too powerful. In a conflict between a Tiger, such as a Bengal, and a Lion, the Tiger will always win.
As for Cowboys vs Indians, well look who won the West.

one saying i am always reminded of;

its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

how many times have you watched games that were supposed to be lopsided victories for one team, only to see the underdog come out on the winning side. for example a number of years ago i was watching an arizona-cal golden bears game. cal was up something like 15 points with about 5 minutes to go in the game. in that last five minutes though arizona scored 19 points to take the win away from cal. of course these two teams have always had bizarre games that end up in close wins, one way or the other.

so never count the underdog out.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:13 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
one saying i am always reminded of;

its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

how many times have you watched games that were supposed to be lopsided victories for one team, only to see the underdog come out on the winning side. for example a number of years ago i was watching an arizona-cal golden bears game. cal was up something like 15 points with about 5 minutes to go in the game. in that last five minutes though arizona scored 19 points to take the win away from cal. of course these two teams have always had bizarre games that end up in close wins, one way or the other.

so never count the underdog out.
I have seen it many times

I once said that in the NFL, anyone can beat anyone on any given day. The way the professional game is structured, the way professionals are trained to play, guarantees the potential for an upset or a close game that should be a squash.

Colleges, more so All it takes is a week off, with the mentality that "We got this won" That will bring a defeat. A team may be up 15 points with 5 minutes to go and hang it up, thinking that they have won......or they may call practice off a hour early just because they have an easy opponent on Saturday ....and cost themselves the game

I am looking forward to our predictions here Something I enjoy even though I do not usually finish near the top. Well, at least I have a sense of humor about it.

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 07-26-2019 at 06:24 AM..

Old 07-26-2019, 06:23 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
RB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
After that best available
DEF and K are always my final 2 picks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football