Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 04:28 PM

5,194 posts, read 6,139,618 times

Advertisements

One of my work colleagues asked me today if I had seen the ESPN blurb about one of the new NFL coaches introducing cell phone breaks to his team meetings. I thought he was joking, I know coaches like Coughlin (when he was with the Giants) would trip out on players being late to meetings and cell phones at meetings.

I guess my age is showing as I really can't get a grasp on this theory to keep the players motivated. The coach mentions in the article his players twitching and losing interest quickly because they don't have access to social media.

I can't imagine Patriots Coach B who still wears a pencil in his ear ever entertaining this. I can't believe that these guys who have multi million dollar contracts who need to put forth a huge effort to get at least nine to ten wins to get to the playoffs are that easily distracted by not getting to check their cell phones. Now you might say how can a few minutes cell phone time be that bad...........it is still all about team discipline and focus isn't it?

Like I said us old guys aren't walking in these young guys shoes so I am out of touch but it seem like it would be a distraction, but if it works then what do I know

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/k...ring-meetings/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 04:42 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
All eyes are on these younger, new generation of coaches. Kliff Kingsbury is starting something here and it will be interesting to see if any others follow this, start a trend. I think it is a bad idea, but I'm older.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:46 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,862,590 times
49ers did that starting in the 2015 season.

Phone breaks

Old 03-29-2019, 06:24 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
One of my work colleagues asked me today if I had seen the ESPN blurb about one of the new NFL coaches introducing cell phone breaks to his team meetings. I thought he was joking, I know coaches like Coughlin (when he was with the Giants) would trip out on players being late to meetings and cell phones at meetings.

I guess my age is showing as I really can't get a grasp on this theory to keep the players motivated. The coach mentions in the article his players twitching and losing interest quickly because they don't have access to social media.

I can't imagine Patriots Coach B who still wears a pencil in his ear ever entertaining this. I can't believe that these guys who have multi million dollar contracts who need to put forth a huge effort to get at least nine to ten wins to get to the playoffs are that easily distracted by not getting to check their cell phones. Now you might say how can a few minutes cell phone time be that bad...........it is still all about team discipline and focus isn't it?

Like I said us old guys aren't walking in these young guys shoes so I am out of touch but it seem like it would be a distraction, but if it works then what do I know

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/k...ring-meetings/
Good Lord, the coddling!

What next? Multi-million dollar contracts? Their own chartered airplanes with first-class recliner seats? Accommodations in four-star hotels where they're waited on hand and foot?

Oh, wait--

But, yeah, a five-minute break every hour during meetings is somehow beyond the pale...

Old 03-29-2019, 06:31 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
49ers did that starting in the 2015 season.

Phone breaks
And look where we are now.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:40 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
I think a break can only be good. Football is mentally and physically challenging. You need to recharge your batteries. If you are not focused and as a result you are practicing poorly it will show up in games. Players get breaks all the time during a game. All practices and meetings should have at least a couple breaks sprinkled in i would think. I don't really care if you want to call it a cell phone break or not.

My guess is that this is a particular break where cell phones can be brought out and used. Not necessarily that every player or even majority of players will be on their phone for the entire 15-20 minute break or whatever it may be. During other short breaks in between drills and meetings cell phones are to remain out of site with the exception of emergencies.

Seems like a no brain'er to me.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
A meeting is a meeting. A break is a break. I don't see where the article says cell phones are allowed in meetings.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:00 PM

5,194 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
A meeting is a meeting. A break is a break. I don't see where the article says cell phones are allowed in meetings.
I was referring to Coughlins policy if you read the sentence where I mentioned Coughlin.

The below is an excerpt from the article....as I mentioned as an older guy I find it amusing and puzzling but if it works so be it. I am all for giving breaks, but he makes it seem like they can only concentrate for so long before their attention span disappears.

Have cell phones really become as addictive as cigarettes?

"You start to see kind of hands twitching and legs shaking, and you know they need to get that social media fix, so we'll let them hop over there and then get back in the meeting and refocus," Kingsbury said.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I was referring to Coughlins policy if you read the sentence where I mentioned Coughlin.
Every coach should be mad if a player has a cell phone in a meeting. Kingsbury and Coughlin both included. Kingsbury's policy is cellphones during breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football