U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 AM

10,730 posts, read 11,185,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
EVERY offseason, EVERY fan of EVERY team, thinks that their team is going to be better and maybe even a contender. Then the games are played and reality shows it's ugly head.
But the league gives fans hope for this. The 2009 Chiefs went 4-12. The 2010: 10-6 and winners of the AFC West. The 2011 colts went 2-14, in 2012 they were 11-5. The 2012 Chiefs went 2-14 and like the Colts the very next year went 11-5. The 2016 Jaguars went 3-13, and in 2017 they were 10-6 and in the AFCCG.

This is just what I can recall from the top of my head from recent seasons. The margin from a 6-10 team to a 10-6 team is razor thin in the NFL and one year to the next can be an entirely different animal. I think that’s why fans tend to be so optimistic about their team at this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 09:36 AM

4,348 posts, read 1,890,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
with alex smith coming back
I don't think he is coming back this year.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:39 AM

4,348 posts, read 1,890,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
This is just what I can recall from the top of my head from recent seasons. The margin from a 6-10 team to a 10-6 team is razor thin in the NFL and one year to the next can be an entirely different animal. I think that’s why fans tend to be so optimistic about their team at this time of year.
Yep. There is almost always a couple surprise teams that play over their expectations. And often even a cellar dweller that becomes a contender.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM

32,636 posts, read 26,627,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
EVERY offseason, EVERY fan of EVERY team, thinks that their team is going to be better and maybe even a contender. Then the games are played and reality shows it's ugly head.

its called having faith in your team. sometimes that faith is misplaced but this is why they play the games.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:34 PM

23,731 posts, read 33,637,545 times
Quote:
with alex smith coming back, if he can stay healthy and do what he did before getting injured last season, the redskins will be a tough team to beat. and with colt mccoy as a back up, and dwayne haskins learning the ropes, they seem to be set at qb for a while. we shall see.

looks like the NFC east is going to be very competitive again this season, and i think it will take at least ten wins to win the division outright.
Alex Smith? There is a question of if he will ever be back. Definitely won’t see the field this year. Even when healthy, Washington is Dwayne’s team for the future.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 PM

6,552 posts, read 3,518,884 times
Lots of up and comers. Lots of youth and talent. Colts, Browns - making huge strides. The Chiefs are there, assuming Mahomes shows his greatness by not having a sophomore jinx year (but they lost talent). The Saints, Rams, Bears - contenders. And as always, and given Sunday.

Biased as I am, no way would I bet against the defending champs to win again. They had a solid draft. Brady is still behind center and Belichick is still performing his mastery. I saw nothing in the draft or free agency that leapfrogs a team over the Patriots in either the AFC or NFC.

All this is paper talking. We shall see as the season unfolds.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:19 PM

9,540 posts, read 7,230,857 times
Quote:
with alex smith coming back, if he can stay healthy and do what he did before getting injured last season, the redskins will be a tough team to beat. and with colt mccoy as a back up, and dwayne haskins learning the ropes, they seem to be set at qb for a while. we shall see.

looks like the NFC east is going to be very competitive again this season, and i think it will take at least ten wins to win the division outright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Alex Smith? There is a question of if he will ever be back. Definitely won’t see the field this year. Even when healthy, Washington is Dwayne’s team for the future.

Yeah.. I'd say his career is likely over.

Colt McCoy will be cut, it's just a matter of whether they keep him around for the preseason or not.

They'll run with Keenum as the starter for the first part of the year, with Haskins as the backup and Woodrum the 3rd string. It's a smart move. If something were to happen to Keenum, or to Haskins once he starts (It'll happen) I think the thought process is that no other team will sign McCoy and if they need him, they'll be able to pick him back up. Which should save them from a Mark Sanchez situation.

Just what I think will happen.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:56 PM

388 posts, read 175,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Lots of up and comers. Lots of youth and talent. Colts, Browns - making huge strides. The Chiefs are there, assuming Mahomes shows his greatness by not having a sophomore jinx year (but they lost talent). The Saints, Rams, Bears - contenders. And as always, and given Sunday.

Biased as I am, no way would I bet against the defending champs to win again. They had a solid draft. Brady is still behind center and Belichick is still performing his mastery. I saw nothing in the draft or free agency that leapfrogs a team over the Patriots in either the AFC or NFC.

All this is paper talking. We shall see as the season unfolds.
It's not wrong to bet New England. They play in the worst division in football and are basically guaranteed 7 or 8 wins a year from those games. So NE is a virtual lock to make the playoffs every season.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:48 PM

11,745 posts, read 11,614,499 times
Pat fans probably don't like to hear about their division being easy, but it is, no secret. However, I told my niece, Chargers fan, other teams need to step up. Don't hate on the Pats, get mad at the owners, GMs of the teams in their division who can't seem to put good teams together.

Fans carry on about some teams, don't worry about those teams, worry about your own not being able to beat whatever team.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 PM

4,933 posts, read 4,009,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs;557466[COLOR="black"
[/color]82]Pat fans probably don't like to hear about their division being easy, but it is, no secret. However, I told my niece, Chargers fan, other teams need to step up. Don't hate on the Pats, get mad at the owners, GMs of the teams in their division who can't seem to put good teams together.

Fans carry on about some teams, don't worry about those teams, worry about your own not being able to beat whatever team.
Well, my Miami Dolphins shoes arrived today. Not a fair weather fan, I love MY FINZ but have LOW expectations this year.

That being said, I love watching football. I love the game. I enjoy it regardless of who wins, and even when I make jokes here it is all in fun. Even the ones about the Chargers, who are USA TODAY'S LATEST pick to win the Super Bowl.
And they might.

I watched CFL last weekend. Just to see some football. And I am looking forward to reading the posts here. Makes the game more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football