U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 05:09 PM

17,241 posts, read 10,169,578 times

Advertisements

As always, talent trumps morality and decency.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dolphins-se...215923346.html

Quote:
When a player proves to be too much trouble for the Cincinnati Bengals, that’s probably a bad sign for their career.

However, former Bengals running back Mark Walton — a 2018 fourth round pick — found a new home despite being arrested three separate times this year. The Miami Dolphins brought in the Miami native and former Miami Hurricane for a tryout at rookie minicamp and announced the signing on Sunday.

“I think people deserve a second chance,” first-year head coach Brian Flores said, via the Palm Beach Post. “I believe that. I think that’s the case. I don’t want to judge people based on one incident. Two incidents. I think it’s a case by case situation for a player and for people in general. That’s kind of my stance.”
"Second chance," lmfao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Status: "Charlotte Checkers Calder Cup Champions!" (set 29 days ago)

7,217 posts, read 8,231,053 times
There are some coaches who think they can "fix" a guy like Walton, some do and some don't. Everytime I hear about one of these cases I think of Lawrence Phillips, who as we all know was given several chances and blew every single one of them.

I do hope for Waltons sake he gets his mind right and the Dolphins can help him. It would be a real shame for what happened to Phillips to happen to this kid. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Hopefully he has some family in Miami that can help him too.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,971,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
There are some coaches who think they can "fix" a guy like Walton, some do and some don't.
The two who come to mind are Jimmy Johnson and John Madden, because Al Davis and Jerry Jones are/were known risk takers. Flores perhaps will be one too? We will see.

Signing him to a rookie contract means he will be in camp, he will have to behave, and work hard to be on the 90 man roster at the camp and really impress to get any time against the Falcons in the first game

I always hope MY FINZ can succeed, but since they have gone for years without a master plan and without sticking to any one game plan, things must change, they need to get a plan and stick with it. Perhaps Flores will be the next Belichick, and hopefully not the next Cameron.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:53 PM

10,454 posts, read 5,917,794 times
Wasn't this the team that had Ricky Williams on the roster when he uttered the line "I got high and forgot I wasn't supposed to get high"?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 AM

664 posts, read 144,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

"Second chance," lmfao
So... this guy should never work again? If that happened, it would foreclose any chance of him going straight... you know that, right? I doubt you've have any problem if this individual was being employed as a plumber or a farmhand or driving a truck. So why is it beyond the pale that he's employed as a football player?

That's a rhetorical question. It's hero-worship. Sports fans will swear up and down that all they care about is the sport, but the reality is that they're looking for people to revere. They want players they can idolize and pretend that those players are paragons of virtue. The difference between today and yesterday is that in the past, the press was usually complicit in not reporting such things. Now, the press does.

And it totally harshes the hero-worship of the fanboys.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Anything at all to win....anything.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:59 PM

23,626 posts, read 33,408,180 times
Well, these were relatively minor crimes. Still ridiculous a team would employ him but he didn’t hurt purely innocent parties with his crimes.

But I’m having flashbacks to Lawrence Phillips too. Of course Walton is probably nowhere near as evil a dude as Lawrence was, but there were obvious red flags that were ignored in that story too.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:48 PM

9,729 posts, read 18,413,929 times
I believe in 2nd chances.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

"Second chance," lmfao

They offer just lip service about caring what type of person they hire....

Old 06-20-2019, 07:45 PM

3,169 posts, read 4,634,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I believe in 2nd chances.
How about 3rd chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or