U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 05:53 PM

16,527 posts, read 20,980,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I believe this is the video that HH mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjg7j-qTvw

That's the one all right! Thanks Mike! That one was recorded around 2000 or so. One of my hobbies was taping various NFL related specials on ESPN, back then the NFL Channel didn't exist. Of all the things I taped, this one is no doubt my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 06:12 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,552,037 times
Thanks for sharing, had to watch it on YouTube, great clip and I never get tired of watching these.

In fact, NFLN has a special right now about some of Starr's games (of course, I'm watching)!

Old 05-29-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I had the distinct honor of interviewing Mr. Starr once in conjunction with a charity I was helping. If there was a more down-to-earth, kind, and patient person, I don't know who that would be.
I have a neighbor who grew up in Green Bay in the 1950's/60's. And he told me some great stories regarding the Packers. He related to me what Starr would do away from the football field. One of them was the Bart Starr Rawhide Boys Ranch he was involved with which started in the early 1960's, spending time and money to help troubled youth, runaway youth, homeless youth.

You hardly ever hear of causes from the football players who played in the era Starr played (1956 to 1971.) Why? Well, remember during that time football players salaries were low, damn low. They worked off season jobs with an exception of a few. In fact part of Bart Starr's contract read that if he won Super Bowl I he would receive a $15,000 bonus. Shortly after Vince Lombardi's death he got heavily involved with another cause such as the Vince Lombardi Cancer Foundation. To date, this foundation has raised over $20 million dollars.

Starr has an award named after him which is called simply the "The Bart Starr Award". It is awarded yearly and it's panel of judges awards it to "an NFL person of outstanding character."

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-29-2019 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 03:47 PM

From Rob Demovsky, ESPN:

"Aaron Rodgers said he attended the private service for Bart Starr last Thursday in Alabama. He said Brett Favre also was there and both addressed family and friends about what Starr meant to them. Said Rodgers today: "Over the years, him and Cherry would write me letters. Nobody really writes hand-written letters anymore, but I got a bunch of them and so did Brett. We were sharing stories at the service. He actually shared a letter that Bart had written to him about the way he was wearing his hat one time, which is pretty funny. But Bart was just a great man, great husband, great father. Endured some tragedy in his own life and some ups and downs and always kept a great attitude and, like I said, he handled himself with a lot of integrity and class.

We had a great relationship, then obviously, he had the strokes. And the thing that I go back to is how important it was for him to get back in '15 to that game when they were retiring Favre's number. Just how much that meant to him. And if you guys had known how much he was struggling to even move or speak or get around, it just makes that feat even that much more amazing.”

Old 06-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Watching Goodell choke up at the Alabama memorial service for Bart Starr, make me tear up for umpteenth time. He said, Bart wrote me a letter every Sept. with good wishes, thoughts for the season. He had to stop, couldn't talk, regardless of what you think of the man, shows him in a different light. It was genuine and Bart Starr touched so many people's lives.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
From Rob Demovsky, ESPN:

"Aaron Rodgers said he attended the private service for Bart Starr last Thursday in Alabama. He said Brett Favre also was there and both addressed family and friends about what Starr meant to them. Said Rodgers today: "Over the years, him and Cherry would write me letters. Nobody really writes hand-written letters anymore, but I got a bunch of them and so did Brett. We were sharing stories at the service. He actually shared a letter that Bart had written to him about the way he was wearing his hat one time, which is pretty funny. But Bart was just a great man, great husband, great father. Endured some tragedy in his own life and some ups and downs and always kept a great attitude and, like I said, he handled himself with a lot of integrity and class.

We had a great relationship, then obviously, he had the strokes. And the thing that I go back to is how important it was for him to get back in '15 to that game when they were retiring Favre's number. Just how much that meant to him. And if you guys had known how much he was struggling to even move or speak or get around, it just makes that feat even that much more amazing.”

Always good to have Susan's commentary on this forum! A few words regarding the tragedy in Bart's life thet Susan is referring to.

As critical as I am about ESPN, they can still crank out solid journalism. One of their projects was working with NFL Films on the Sports Century series that began in 2000 and ran until 2006. They are bios on the most noted athletes in the 20th century. In 2000 they won an Emmy Award for best documentary series.

The bio on Bart was from 2002. It talks about Bart's relationship with his father, a career military man. Their relationship was, uh, lacking. Bart had two other brothers that his father seemed to favor, Bart always felt he was treated like a recruit. His younger brother and Bart as a kid was playing outside when Hilton limped into the house with a cut on his foot. For whatever reason the family didn't respond well regarding medical treatment for Hilton and a couple weeks later Hilton died of a tetanus infection. It shook up Bart and really shook up his father who needled Bart from time to time regarding a subject that he didn't think Bart had--toughness. From that point forward Bart worked and worked and worked--thinking about his father and saying to himself--"well I'll show you!"

Another dark part of Bart's life was the loss of his youngest son Brett-to suicide. Brett sadly got caught running with a bad crowd, got involved with drugs, and when he found his son dead from cocaine in the house he was renting that he was told that he owed a lot of money to drug dealers because of his use. This was around 1990 or so, I even remember ABC's Peter Jennings doing the story on it.

Those two situations should tell you something about Bart's resolve. And there is something else. In 1975 the Packers were not doing well and head coach Dan Devine was relieved of his duties. Starr was hired to wear two hats-head coach and general manager. Bart had some good years but overall things just didn't work for the club. By 1981(?) he was relieved of his GM duties, then at the end of the 1983 season he was replaced by former Packer Forrest Gregg.

But he survived. He was involved with causes and spoke at a lot of NFL related functions. But in that ESPN bio Bill Curry said that he spoke at a crowd that really got the attention to the crowd, which happened to be the Crimson Tide of Alabama's players because at that point in time Curry felt some of his players were doing drugs. Curry stated that Starr told the players about the cost it was to your health, what the chemical reaction would be when it first entered your system, etc., etc. And Curry told Starr after the speech--"You just saved--I don't know HOW many!"

Bart Starr- a great player, a great man.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Thanks, H and great post. Some of the young players could learn a great deal from learning about some of the early NFL players, probably true in other sports, too. A little bit of humility, being humble would go a long way these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or