U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:48 AM

1,757 posts, read 3,921,118 times

Advertisements

Tom Benson passed away months ago which the team was passed down to his wife, Rita Benson, and since the team is owned by her and not the City Of New Orleans , will the team go for sell and relocate somewhere else if ,God Forbid, Rita Benson passes away?

P.S. I'm from New Orleans born and raised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 10:53 AM

23,670 posts, read 33,534,765 times
I have zero reason to believe the Saints are going to leave New Orleans.

- The Saints ranked 8th in attendance percentage last year. Sure it helps they’ve been good the last few years but the locals are very supportive of the product.

- The dome just completed renovations and the Saints (as of May) were working on a lease extension until 2035 with New Orleans.

As a Carolina fan, I would never think anywhere else is right for the Saints other than New Orleans. That year after Katrina where the Saints played out of the dome, never felt right to watch.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:43 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,207,102 times
EVERY team eventually has their owners die. None of them have ever relocated because of it.
If their attendance is good, they will never move.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:10 PM

4,858 posts, read 6,386,547 times
Benson was going to move years ago but was guilt tripped into staying after Katrina. They draw at home and the obnoxious bandwagon fans across the country buy merchandise. Doubt the team would move in the distant future.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:29 AM

21,442 posts, read 22,000,772 times
San Antonio would be a good landing spot.for the Santos

Old 07-08-2019, 09:35 AM

9,486 posts, read 7,159,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
EVERY team eventually has their owners die. None of them have ever relocated because of it.
If their attendance is good, they will never move.

I don't feel the Saints are in any danger of moving.. But.. Your statement about no team moving because their owner died.. Eh..

The Expos, the owner didn't die, but an ownership change did result in their moving. Though, admittedly, this was a highly convoluted situation.

We could possibly say that the Raiders are moving from Oakland to Vegas because of the death of Al Davis.. But.. That's a bit of a stretch as I think they would have wound up moving regardless of whether Davis died or not.

Many franchises have been sold to people specifically because those people agreed not to move the team. Hartford Whalers come to mind.. They were sold to someone who agreed not to move the team for 4 years.. 4 years later they were the Carolina Hurricanes.

There's probably some others that I'm not remembering.. But teams move.. And while it may not always be directly related to an owners death.. I would imagine that there's at least one out there where a move can be tied to an owner's death.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:11 AM

4,910 posts, read 3,990,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't feel the Saints are in any danger of moving.. But.. Your statement about no team moving because their owner died.. Eh..

The Expos, the owner didn't die, but an ownership change did result in their moving. Though, admittedly, this was a highly convoluted situation.

We could possibly say that the Raiders are moving from Oakland to Vegas because of the death of Al Davis.. But.. That's a bit of a stretch as I think they would have wound up moving regardless of whether Davis died or not.

Many franchises have been sold to people specifically because those people agreed not to move the team. Hartford Whalers come to mind.. They were sold to someone who agreed not to move the team for 4 years.. 4 years later they were the Carolina Hurricanes.

There's probably some others that I'm not remembering.. But teams move.. And while it may not always be directly related to an owners death.. I would imagine that there's at least one out there where a move can be tied to an owner's death.
I agree. The Saints have embedded themselves in NOLA culture. Having made a road trip to see them at home, I think the community support is too high. I would rank the fans as the second best overall behind the Packers

I recall the Rams move had something to do with the owners widow being from Saint Looooouie, wanting to be home.

THE Raiders situation is all too common. It is the "build me a new stadium or we will take our toys and go play someplace else " I personally believe that the team should buy the stadium, but that is FOR another thread. The Superdome is still one ofvthe best venues in sports. There is not a bad seat in the house. Compare to Oakland colliseum where there are ver few good seats in the house. Same with baseball, the multiuse stadium is flawed. Offering a new dome in a city with a high tourist population will help the Raiders. And remember, they already left Oakland once.

THE Saints have always been the New Orleans team, I cannot see them moving. They have too many reasons not to move.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 PM

7,259 posts, read 8,258,536 times
The Saints are probably safe from relocation. Never say never but the NFL seems to like having a franchise there, I know visiting fans love going there to watch their team play. Plenty of Panthers fans in my area hate the Saints as a team but admit New Orleans is one of their favorite cities to see the Panthers on the road.

The Pelicans will relocate before the Saints do.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 PM

5,342 posts, read 3,353,414 times
Never say never, but I think it's unlikely the Saints move.

I thought before Katrina hit, the Saints were exploring moving to a new stadium in southern Mississippi if the state built them one?

Can they keep updating/renovating the Superdome every 10-15 years, I guess. It does have a great location, not sure they would be able to build a new retractable roof stadium near it, without having to implode the Superdome first and have the Saints play in Baton Rouge for 2 or 3 years while they build a new updated stadium where the current one is located.

Don't forget all the Final 4's and Superbowls that have been played in the Superdome and will be played in the future along with next year's College Football National Championship game.

Does the Superdome have all the bells and whistles that the new Raiders stadium in Vegas or the new Rams/Chargers stadium in Inglewood will have, of course not, but it's still a great stadium.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:30 PM

7,259 posts, read 8,258,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Never say never, but I think it's unlikely the Saints move.

I thought before Katrina hit, the Saints were exploring moving to a new stadium in southern Mississippi if the state built them one?

Can they keep updating/renovating the Superdome every 10-15 years, I guess. It does have a great location, not sure they would be able to build a new retractable roof stadium near it, without having to implode the Superdome first and have the Saints play in Baton Rouge for 2 or 3 years while they build a new updated stadium where the current one is located.

Don't forget all the Final 4's and Superbowls that have been played in the Superdome and will be played in the future along with next year's College Football National Championship game.

Does the Superdome have all the bells and whistles that the new Raiders stadium in Vegas or the new Rams/Chargers stadium in Inglewood will have, of course not, but it's still a great stadium.
At first I figured you were mistaking Mississippi for somewhere else, but apparently it was true they were looking into moving there, mostly as a way to improve the Superdome but still, talk about a win for Mississippi for even being mentioned in the same breath as the NFL.

The Saints, Ready to March into Mississippi - TIME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or