U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 05:22 AM

1,207 posts, read 489,846 times

Advertisements

In honor of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the NFL, the Pro Football Hall is considering an expanded induction class for next year. Currently, the thought is to have:

The usual 5 from regularly eligible candidates
2 coaches
3 contributors
10 senior-eligibles

This would be great in theory, given the heavy backlog of deserving Seniors. Apparently, there may be especially strong consideration for All-Decade Team members (especially first-teamers for those decades when they were chosen).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-20-inductees/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 05:11 PM

369 posts, read 172,192 times
I think it's an idea also. Why not increase the class? As you point out, there are numerous candidates who are deserving, but not currently in the PF HoF.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:23 PM

16,546 posts, read 21,048,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I think it's an idea also. Why not increase the class? As you point out, there are numerous candidates who are deserving, but not currently in the PF HoF.
Yes.

There are a lot of NFL players who had great careers and are more than worthy but were a victim of the numbers game, playing in a small market team, and other reasons. Players I can name off right away would be Chuck Howley, Zach Thomas, Roger Craig, Steve Atwater, Tommy Nobis.

There are many more, I'll add to this thread later.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:42 PM

4,918 posts, read 3,998,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Yes.

There are a lot of NFL players who had great careers and are more than worthy but were a victim of the numbers game, playing in a small market team, and other reasons. Players I can name off right away would be Chuck Howley, Zach Thomas, Roger Craig, Steve Atwater, Tommy Nobis.
I had assumed Chuck Howley was in it. He should have been already. ProBowl 7 Times, Super Bowl MVP, first defensive player to be Auperr Bowl MVP and only one from a losing team to date......Not to mention 15 seasons in the league. I'd vote him in without a second thought

Nobis got overlooked because he played on some poor Falcon teams. But he was rookie of the year.

I have always wanted to see Roman Gabriel in it. I remember him as a big, physical QB who could dish out hits as well as take them.,...something unusual when Quarterbacks always tried to get away, not get hurt, Gabriel was tough and played it.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:27 AM

Chuck Howley is arguably one of the most egregious Senior snubs out there. Five time 1st team all pro, named to six pro bowls, has the distinction of being the only SB MVP to come from a losing team. Reportedly also looks great in film study. He should come close to topping anyone’s list. It would be great if he gets in with this class, but he might not.

Have seen some talk (and I think it’s reasonable) to advance some of the Senior 1st team All Decade players who aren’t in yet. The list has seven names, five of whom are I think extremely deserving: Lavvie Dilweg, Ox Emerson, Al Wistert, Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris, Bruno Banducci, and Jim Covert. I’m strongly in favor of the first five. Reportedly, Duke Slater is also getting a lot of positive chatter, and he’s also highly deserving.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:42 AM

Re Tommy Nobis, his argument runs lower for me than most in the Senior pool: MLBs are already heavily represented from the time, and his honors are a little light at 2/5/60s. I see him about at the level of Lee Roy Jordan (2/5/none) who’s also not in, and I prefer Randy Gradishar (4/7/none) and Bill Bergey (5/5/none) to either. Nobis was reportedly one of the best before he got hurt early on in his career (AFL outside LB George Webster has the same issue).

The voters have made strides to address the lack of OLBs in the HoF from this time period, but that’s where I think they need to focus first: Chuck Howley (5/6/none), Maxie Baughan (5/9/none), Joe Fortunato (3/5/50s), Bill Forester (4/4/none), Larry Grantham (5/5/allAFL), and Mike Stratton (4/6/allAFL) are among those who deserve a long look here.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:36 PM

Looks like it’s a done deal:

https://www.profootballhof.com/one-t...ass-next-year/

There will be a “Blue Ribbon Panel” that will first select a preliminary list of 20 Seniors, 10 Contributors, and 8 Coaches. From there, the panel will choose a final slate of 10 Seniors, 3 Contributors, and 2 Coaches. On “Selection Saturday” (when the final voting normally takes place), the entire slate will get an en masse thumbs up or thumbs down.

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

2,541 posts, read 3,453,366 times
I like the idea...I just hope the Hall gets it's funding down to realize the dream of the Hall of Fame Village around it.

Old Today, 05:43 AM

42 posts, read 15,355 times
I can not complain about this since almost everyone was whining that players did not get in and now they have a better chance of getting in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or