U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:25 AM

872 posts, read 196,280 times

Advertisements

This move would be:

*profitable in the short term (more games, more tickets, more viewers)

and

*detrimental in the long term (more injuries and/or diluting the product by limiting appearances and forcing second-stringers into some games as a result)

Of course, the NFL wants to do the latter, because it's all about making $ now, as opposed to wisely cultivating a long-term business model. Really, this is emblematic of all the major sports these days. The "Now! And to hell with tomorrow!" ethos has taken over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 05:49 PM

374 posts, read 172,192 times
The player's union will never go for an 18-game regular season schedule. A greater risk for injury and the players would actually make less money per game.

I agree with the post on the previous page that there will be 8 teams in the playoffs from each conference before an 18-game regular season is approved.

Old 07-24-2019, 03:15 PM

3,971 posts, read 2,525,042 times
This is an incredibly dumb idea that just wont die. The 16 game schedule as someone said earlier, works perfectly in terms of scheduling.

Plus, this is a league that wants us to believe it cares about player health--dont touch that defenseless receiver!--but will not stop pushing an 18 game schedule. Shockingly arrogant and brain-dead.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
This is an incredibly dumb idea that just wont die. The 16 game schedule as someone said earlier, works perfectly in terms of scheduling.

Plus, this is a league that wants us to believe it cares about player health--dont touch that defenseless receiver!--but will not stop pushing an 18 game schedule. Shockingly arrogant and brain-dead.
I agree. The 2002 realignment for 32 teams perfectly balanced the schedule. 18 games could work if the NFL adds more teams, but for right now I think they are fine with 32. That is, despite all the talk about placing franchises overseas in London and Mexico City.

On a side note, I wouldn't mind shortening the preseason. 4 games, IMO, is way too many. More like 2 or 3 makes more sense. Most of the time the starters don't play anyway. The preseason games are for the free agents, rookies, etc. looking to make the team or the team's practice squad.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:46 AM

4,317 posts, read 1,878,375 times
I'm kind of on the other side of the fence on this one. My first desire would be for the schedule to stay at 16 games. Don't try to fix what isn't broken. That said, if the league were to move to 18 games I think i prefer the added strategy involved in limiting players to 16 games played vs no limit and great injury risk to the marquee players. Also, limiting the players to 16 games would help preserve records and history. This is greatly needed as we have already seen passing and receiving numbers since 2005 or so explode. Imagine now adding two extra games. The numbers would be ridiculous.

Ultimately I do not think an 18 game schedule gets approved anytime soon. I do however think there is a good chance we see a 7th wild card team added to each conference sooner rather than later. What the NFLPA really needs to hold ground on and fight for is guaranteed contracts. If the NFL is going to add an extra game or two even if it is just a wild card game the players need to fight for the guaranteed contracts.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:07 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,213,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'm kind of on the other side of the fence on this one. My first desire would be for the schedule to stay at 16 games. Don't try to fix what isn't broken. That said, if the league were to move to 18 games I think i prefer the added strategy involved in limiting players to 16 games played vs no limit and great injury risk to the marquee players. Also, limiting the players to 16 games would help preserve records and history. This is greatly needed as we have already seen passing and receiving numbers since 2005 or so explode. Imagine now adding two extra games. The numbers would be ridiculous.

Ultimately I do not think an 18 game schedule gets approved anytime soon. I do however think there is a good chance we see a 7th wild card team added to each conference sooner rather than later. What the NFLPA really needs to hold ground on and fight for is guaranteed contracts. If the NFL is going to add an extra game or two even if it is just a wild card game the players need to fight for the guaranteed contracts.
Would it be up to the league or the team when the players would sit?
Would the entire 1st string sit for 1 week or would the offense sit 1 week while the defense sits another week? Do the kickers have to sit?

Old 07-27-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Would it be up to the league or the team when the players would sit?
Would the entire 1st string sit for 1 week or would the offense sit 1 week while the defense sits another week? Do the kickers have to sit?
Great questions.

Yep, and how would injuries work? What if a player gets knocked out of a game? Does that count as a game played in?

Old 07-27-2019, 02:46 PM

It should be up to the team I would think on when and how many starting players sit. That is where the strategy comes in. Do you play your starting QB and staring o-line with all back up skill players or just have the entire offense sit two games against weak teams?

Of course a more accurate way of monitoring player safety would be to track snap counts rather than games played.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:06 AM

I think the league needs to pick a focus, either the regular season (adding more games) or the playoffs (adding more teams). Can't do both because that puts more wear and tear on players. Personally I say add more teams to the playoffs, get it up to 8 just like the NBA and the NHL. Fans love the postseason more than the regular season, I reckon. That would also enhance tv ratings, revenue, merchandise sales, ticket sales, etc.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:22 AM

I like the idea of 7 playoff teams rather than 8. Only one team gets a first round bye. 8 seems too watered down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or